LMS Suburban coaches

Rowsley17D

Ok folks, deliberate mistake number 2 with this build. Door ventilators? Yes, I have forgotten to put them on before painting. Oh well...

It isnt always a deliberate mistake on Stanier coaches depending on era being modelled. BR started to remove the door hoods on passenger doors quite early on, haphazardly at first so that a coach migh be missing just a few. Then it seemed a general directive to remove them except off luggage and guards doors. Eventually by the 1960s they were all removed on many coaches. Note this is only on Period III and steel panelled Period II stock.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the insight, Larry. Those modelling BR days will take this into account but I am firmly set in LMS 1930s so the vents will have to go on. I'll spray the microstrip up first with primer first before cutting to size and gluing on. I don't want to put another layer of undercoat on the coach.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Larry, None of the coaches I have built have run on anything, so some work may be needed to get them to run around curves. All except the D1701 are Dapol underframes with Bachy bogies. The D1701 has a Bachy underframe and bogies so this should not need anything doing to it and may actually need lowering. I want my next layout to have curves with as large a radius as possible, which I hope will be a minimum of 36", but we will have to wait and see, there's a railway room yet to be built.

• RMweb Gold

Ride height. I put a couple of my hybrid coaches on a piece of Peco curved at 36" radius.

post-16241-0-07542900-1379705511_thumb.jpg

Everything looks ok to me, although not tried it over crossings though. The smallest radius point-work will be Peco large turnout in the fiddle-yard, but I want hand-built in the visible sections. So as long I can keep my new layout to 36" minimum radius curves I should be ok?

At this magnification it shows up my dodgy application of lining as well as other defects.

• RMweb Gold

D1964 is virtually complete. Still needs some vac pipes and the ends tidying up.

post-16241-0-11290900-1380221950_thumb.jpg

Here she is with sister D1906A

post-16241-0-50478400-1380221995_thumb.jpg

That's the end of my Dapol under-frames, it will be Comet ones for the last of the sides I have in stock although I still need two more brake ends to have two suburban sets.

• RMweb Gold

Next I decided to upgrade my one and only Dapol non-corridor lavatory brake third. After taking the coach to bits I discarded the glazing and cut off the moulded door and grab handles, these will be replaced by brass ones.

post-16241-0-14148300-1380900602_thumb.jpg

Apologies for shaky photo.

From the under-frame the brake parts were all remove and will be replaced by Comet parts. The buffers were removed and Comet ones added.

More after my hols.

post-16241-0-15948000-1380900719_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

D1964 is virtually complete. Still needs some vac pipes and the ends tidying up.

attachicon.gifD1964 f.jpg

Here she is with sister D1906A

attachicon.gifD1964 and D1906A.jpg

That's the end of my Dapol under-frames, it will be Comet ones for the last of the sides I have in stock although I still need two more brake ends to have two suburban sets.

Again im just staggered ,,,, can not imagine how many hours that must have taken and working in such fine detail as that ,,,, you lads need some kind of medal for patience and perseverance, you have my greatest admiration for such craftsmanship (And thats your first attempt) ????    ,,,, note to self dont look at coachman  

Archived