A pulsed/feedback current limited controller - Instructions and video

Guest Jim Read

To be honest: I too asked Jim R. for Brian’s circuit plan and parts list. I was eager to make and test this controller and compare to the others I've made so far.
Jim responded immediately and I attacked the task. Inevitably some error crept in and the (finished!) controller didn’t work. Despite a lot of searching I wasn’t able to locate the fault, so in the end I abandoned it. And did not answer Jim…
I’m not a complete newbie to electronics; in fact I had made and tested various controllers – simple, back-emf, pwm – with rather mixed results re. their qualities (mind you: all of them worked).
In my opinion, Brian’s circuit is rather complicated and as such difficult to transfer to a stripboard – as already stated in post #26 above. (Unnecessarily complicated? I’m not in a position to judge that.)
Personally, I prefer to revert to a simple five-component-circuit – see there. Or to the back-emf cont­roller presented by Frank (DukeDog), see there.

With these I’m quite happy.

Regards

Armin

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest that's what MERG is for and very good at. Sending it to them would achieve all the objectives in one simple step.

Andy

I don't have any objectives and it is not my circuit to send. Besides Merg probably have much more sophisticated circuits. It was Jim's idea to help people by starting the thread now he has gone perhaps the best thing would be to close the thread. With no one to provide assistance I suggest people look elsewhere.

Since I use a number of coreless motors I will either use DCC or build myself a Pentroller

Don

• RMweb Gold

To be honest: I too asked Jim R. for Brian’s circuit plan and parts list. I was eager to make and test this controller and compare to the others I've made so far.

Jim responded immediately and I attacked the task. Inevitably some error crept in and the (finished!) controller didn’t work. Despite a lot of searching I wasn’t able to locate the fault, so in the end I abandoned it. And did not answer Jim…

I’m not a complete newbie to electronics; in fact I had made and tested various controllers – simple, back-emf, pwm – with rather mixed results re. their qualities (mind you: all of them worked).

In my opinion, Brian’s circuit is rather complicated and as such difficult to transfer to a stripboard – as already stated in post #26 above. (Unnecessarily complicated? I’m not in a position to judge that.)

Personally, I prefer to revert to a simple five-component-circuit – see there. Or to the back-emf cont­roller presented by Frank (DukeDog), see there.

With these I’m quite happy.

Regards

Armin

With Jim now absent from here people may find it more useful to look at your thread where they will get some response and try one of the circuits you have found satisfactory.

I like your idea of using Franks circuit with a choc bloc rather than stripboard. I did my design work using a breadboard very handy for trying out circuits.

Don

Since I use a number of coreless motors I will either use DCC or build myself a Pentroller

Just a last addition to this post topic (from my side):

Don,

I sure don't want that you destroy your precious coreless motors, but – as already stated in post #17 above – the (negative) effect depends mainly on the shape of the pulses.

Really problematic are sharp edged pulses with a relatively low frequency, especially if there are spikes*) with more than say 20V (to help the motor start).

In the case of the two controllers I was talking about, we have sinusoidal "pulses" and no spikes.

Therefore there should be no danger to coreless motors – at least I've experienced no undue heating with my two coreless locos.

You may give one of them a try before you go DCC.

Regards

Armin

*) as I have seen them in my little oszilloscope when I probed the Gaugemaster HH controller – TBH: the manufacturer himself cautions against using THIS controller with coreless motors.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some readers who asked for detailed info (circuit diagram etc.) about Brian's controller.

With the promise to report on their progress and the behaviour of their controllers.

And they seem to have got such info.

I'm wondering why there's no response from them.

Too complicated the project, no success, no improvement over other gadgets, or what…?

Regards

Armin

I fail to see where I (or any one else that requested a copy of circuit diagram) made any kind of promise to provide feedback on the design of this controller. All Jim asked was that a polite request for the information was made, I made such a request and promptly received Jim's detailed instructions. I resent the fact that it is being implied that I somehow took something from another forum member without making correct recompense as promised. I am glad I asked Jim fro the information when I did as he is no longer a forum member and his knowledge has gone with him. I don't know what the situation is as to Jim's departure but it is easy to see why many members leave this forum, and take their knowledge with them, when one can be so easily portrayed as acting in an underhand manner with no justification whatsoever.

Yes, an all too common result. OK, sometimes we all forget to respond (of which I'm doubtless guilty), but does it seem that sometimes everyone fails to respond?

Then maybe you should look at your own shortcomings before criticising others.

If someone had asked me of me experience of the controller I would have happily passed on my experiences. As it happens I have not, as yet, had a chance to construct the circuit and test it so cannot comment, and given such posts as these neither am I inclined to do so.

I fail to see where I (or any one else that requested a copy of circuit diagram) made any kind of promise to provide feedback on the design of this controller. ...

Oh, I do see at least two posters. And where did I talk of you?

Then maybe you should look at your own shortcomings before criticising others.

Very harsh – and with regard to kevinlms completely inappropriate wording.

• 2 months later...

Archived