Illiterate on ebay

GWR460

I've been selling a loco on ebay a flying Scotsman. Listed as LNER green with a photo of it in LNER green. The question then comes from a polential buyer "what colour is this please" I reply "LNER green"

I then get this reply "I don't have a problem with the colour of your train but Is this the british rail version?"

It amazes me how people ask such questions. I also like it when you state that "this item does not include said item" and then you get a question about the item that is not included and why is it not included. Anyone else have encounters of the thick kind!

"Collection only". "Please note this item is COLLECTION ONLY as it is too large and bulky to send". "Collection only from North Norfolk, no postage".

This is usually followed by "How much to send to Cardiff?"...

You do wonder why you bother sometimes... Pete.

Edit: Feel free to substitute Cardiff with Portsmouth, Exeter, Kings Lynn, Macclesfield, Liverpool, Carlisle, Perth, Aberdeen, Belfast or Waterford before I'm accused of being Cymrophobic...

I had one the other week.

Quoth me:

"A locked phone sent to me as part of an upgrade deal, will only work on Vodafone unless unlocked"

Public Question

"Will this work on all networks? I'm on orange"

Me:

"No, this is a locked phone sent to me as part of an upgrade deal, will only work on Vodafone unless unlocked"

Same person who asked the question, after winning the auction to buy the damn thing:

"Will this work with my orange simcard?"

Oh the pain, the pain of it all...

• RMweb Gold

People don't research what they are selling, either. A recent postcard picture of an LT RT bus had the vehicle posed by a rather neat hedge, displaying Route 21 Blinds. Since the closest Route 21 got in those days to the country was Sidcup, this made the seller's claim that it was "probably the 1960s" look a little suspect. Had he looked on a few websites, he'd have found the bus in question is preserved, and I suspect the pic was taken in rural Kent, where it then lived, in the '70s. In fairness he has now amended the advert after my representations. It may have helped that I named the four owners....

For those silly postage questions the answer is always £100, that usually puts people off.  I don't bother answering the stupid questions.  If they are stupid enough to ask a stupid question and then bid I would cancel the bid.  Ebay doesn't force you to answer a question and as long as that person doesn't end up being the buyer you won't loose anything.

• RMweb Gold

It's becoming quite usual for some american model shops to put silly prices in for overseas shipping nowadays when it's a product like Bullfrog Snot and paints that can't be shipped by air.  It stops overseas buyers from bidding (or maybe it doesn't always, given how stupid some people are).

• RMweb Gold

"Collection only". "Please note this item is COLLECTION ONLY as it is too large and bulky to send". "Collection only from North Norfolk, no postage".

This is usually followed by "How much to send to Cardiff?"...

You do wonder why you bother sometimes... Pete.

Edit: Feel free to substitute Cardiff with Portsmouth, Exeter, Kings Lynn, Macclesfield, Liverpool, Carlisle, Perth, Aberdeen, Belfast or Waterford before I'm accused of being Cymrophobic...

While I understand "collection only" for something really big, I have often seen sellers with an attractive item that could easily be posted seriously reduce their market by saying "collection only". Perhaps the person asking "how much to post to xxxx"  is a genuine potential buyer who is quite prepared to pay the shipping and packaging charge.

• RMweb Premium

It also works the other way round.  I once wanted some paperback books priced at 50p each plus 2.50 postage each.  O offerred to pick them up as I was goin g that way on a family trip, to be told that they only posted and didn't allow collections.  Oviously using the postage charge as part of the selling price.  Needless to say i didn't buy any of them.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I saw a Wainfleet photo a while ago described as "Wainfleet Castle" so out of the kindness of my heart I pointed out that it was the original local school. I suppose it did have four towers on it. The other was someone hoping to sell a large collection of Bateman's beer labels. I think he might have sold one or two if they hadn't been described as Baitmans..

Lots if great stories here. I have many ebay tales to share done horrors. But ill save them for tommorow.

But here's one about an idiot seller.

Here is the story... Love A4 locos. I collect them and once was looking on ebay as one does with a cup of tea and a biscuit I betwean making a model aircraft for britmodeller which I also frequent.

I noticed this "mint condition rare Bachmann A4 bittern" I noticed the Bachman box but the loco WAS a Hornby margate A4 bittern shiney wheels red plates tender drive and from the old mid 90s Tyne tees Pullman Train set. Lovely model too and one I've wanted since seeing it as a child.

It was quite reasonable at £59 quid. I was indeed tempted but not certain i had the guys to open the wallet yet.

Curious as I was I thought I had better email the chap to tell him his photo was not right for the listing and asked him to check what was up as I wanted to know what I could be buying. I was quite polite and just trying to help a fellow ebayer out,

Well.,,,, the response ladies and gentleman Is one that left me lost for words I read his comments and thought ,, ! "He said what now" !

This is the actual response "If an elephant walks into a room and stands there and says out loud "I'm an elephant" chances are its probably an elephant! This is a Bachmann a4 bittern NOT Hornby! "

There was more what a attitude he was quite nasty too so I told him to suck me valve.

Of course I never do that and this polip on the golden bridge of mankind reported me to ebay but when I sent them the correspondence they ruled in my favour.

I might have bought it if I hadent been greeted arrogant behaviour. It's amazing how you can help people and everytime come off worse.

Maybe ebay stands for Every B@sta£d And You.

But I still love ebay it can be good and if nothing else entertaining but it can give you experiences to darken the soul

While I understand "collection only" for something really big, I have often seen sellers with an attractive item that could easily be posted seriously reduce their market by saying "collection only". Perhaps the person asking "how much to post to xxxx"  is a genuine potential buyer who is quite prepared to pay the shipping and packaging charge.

I quite agree, I will always post something if it is post-able and I'll package and arrange a courier for anything larger. I'm always happy to go the extra mile - I've even arranged a pallet delivery for somebody in the past, but in this case there was no way was I going to post 2 cast iron Victorian roll top baths...

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased that the trend for ebay listings to use a red font in sizes you can read from across the street has mostly disappeared!

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased that the trend for ebay listings to use a red font in sizes you can read from across the street has mostly disappeared!

i suspect this is cos a lot more peeps are posting from apps on their smart phones - an oxymoron if ever there was - but it means yr gettin a lot more bad grammer punkchuayshun and everyfing in lwr case

It also works the other way round.  I once wanted some paperback books priced at 50p each plus 2.50 postage each.  O offerred to pick them up as I was goin g that way on a family trip, to be told that they only posted and didn't allow collections.  Oviously using the postage charge as part of the selling price.  Needless to say i didn't buy any of them.

Jamie

Not really, why hang around all day on the vague promise someone is dropping by, why let a stranger know where you live. Particularly if the seller is female or has a valuable model railway collection. £2.50 is not a profit and privacy is privacy.

• RMweb Gold

I made the mistake of agreeing a collection for two Hornby points., At the doorstep the buyer started to renegotiate the price. As a then newbie to E Bay I agreed a €1.00 reduction.  I won't fall for that again.

Have to agree with Colin_McLeod and Crantock about collection. Never again. I had someone come round to collect some old bundles of Railway Magazine. After half an hour on the doorstep, he was still lecturing me about Gresley valve gear. I didn't want to be rude but I'd have paid good money for the phone to ring.

• RMweb Gold

Come to your own conclusion about literacy here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-loc-/181157989222?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2ddb8b66

horndy loc in very good condition in it own box run well if bid and win please pay strange away so i can post it time waste will be report too ebay

Not sure what a horndy loc is, but this is not even Hornby Dublo despite the listing title. As to the remainder of the sentence- ???? 

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-loc-/181157989222?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2ddb8b66

Not sure what a horndy loc is, but this is not even Hornby Dublo despite the listing title. As to the remainder of the sentence- ???? 

Well, Colin, he's got 9 bids and is up to £26 - so it must be you and me not speakin' da lingo!

This guy has no idea how much he needs to use a spellchecker! My personal favourite on ebay recently was the "Horny Engine". Try typing that into Google for a few surprises! Pete.

• RMweb Gold

This guy has no idea how much he needs to use a spellchecker! My personal favourite on ebay recently was the "Horny Engine". Try typing that into Google for a few surprises! Pete.

Not many years ago a member of this Forum told us all that he had a Horny Scotsman in his loft! A time and a place for everything.....

Archived