Lima class 31 detailing project...

Ive spent years collecting my lima class 31s,now ive gone over to DCC.

I will be updating my Lima 31s,by hard wiring with Bachmann chips!!

I prefer the lima 31 body over the new Hornby 31s....

Ive started detailing the Lima 31 buffer beams,and fitting Bachmann snow ploughs....

post-10160-0-85460800-1371063221_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Ive just finished these two "Rail freight" 31s this afternoon :no: they both have hard wired sound chips in them now,weathered,and extra air pipe detailing..... :no:  

31108 skin head

31206 Top head lights....

post-10160-0-89817200-1371063948_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

These look rather nice. :yes:  I've a red stripe version to work on some time.

Have these got the standard Lima motor & wheels then? I'm considering building finer standard pointwork & I'm unsure whether I need to change the wheels....

• Like 1

Hi, I'm curious about the loco with headcode discs and the other with round buffers?

The one with the headcode disc,i bought off frend :no: so im planning to remove the headcode disc off it soon,just need some rail match yellow paint... :sungum:

• Like 1

Those peds look splendid mate! spot on  B)
One day I will take my modelling tools to my Lima 31 which was my first engine lol At the moment like the prototype it fails to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, 31's look great, I am respraying a 31/0 to be one of the carriage heating units, and just strugging with thoughts on numbering , any ideas on who sells the ADB lettering ? the numbering on the originals looks to be the size from coaching stock ie slightly smaller than loco numbering.   

• Like 2

Hi, 31's look great, I am respraying a 31/0 to be one of the carriage heating units, and just strugging with thoughts on numbering , any ideas on who sells the ADB lettering ? the numbering on the originals looks to be the size from coaching stock ie slightly smaller than loco numbering.   

These people may be able to help:-

http://www.railtec-models.com/index.php

Lima mechs varied enormously even between examples of the same models. Some ran like dogs and nothing you could do to them would improve them, others (like yours) ran beautifully and just about forever. I have had my share of both extremes and many in between.

To be honest, after several attempts, I don't usually consider the Lima mechanisms worth converting to DCC and have recovered several decoders for other projects after "de-DCCing" the Lima locos. However, my 31 327 was a sweet runner and I have converted it with great success. I got carried away and converted 31 004 as well but that was rather less successful and still is not the greatest runner. I'm seriously considering getting the Hornby RailRoad version and swapping the mechanisms then selling the remaining Hornby body and Lima chassis - I did the same with a Lima 59 and a few DMUs, although I retained the DMU bodies for further conversions so merely pulled the motors and gears out of the mechanisms to turn them into unpowered dummies.

I also bought several Hornby class 73s, usually on specials, and swapped the Lima bodies on to the Hornby chassis. I keep all 73 bodies for future reliveries though. I had nine Lima 73s and now have five of them on Hornby chassis (two with sound fitted) and one with a Model Torque motor in the Lima chassis. DCC works well with the latter motor but the atrocious Lima brass wheels and limited pickups still mean this one is not the best of runners. That means I now have around 14 bodies that can be simply and easily swapped on to the working chassis, allowing fast and easy changes of identity and period!

Edited by SRman