Lima class 31 detailing project...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for asking probably a dumb question I did have a Hornby super detailed 31 until I had to send it back due to chassis rot. And would like to have at least one 31 running about. And after reading your topic has got me thinking is would the lima body be ok for has introduced BR Green. Looking on eBay none seemed to be available in BR green. That's why I thought I would ask.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest 40-something

Yer the Hornby rail road 31s are pretty good...

No they arent!

The bodysides represent an unrefurbished machine, the cab fronts represent a refurbished machine.  Complete mish-mash

The only good thing about them is the chassis

Lima managed to do quite a few body variations on their 30/31 models, but Hornby seem to have mixed them a bit. However, the Hornby model is still a good starting point for a good model. Alternatively, if you have a favourite Lima model, the body will clip straight onto the Hornby chassis. I bought a Hornby RailRoad 31 purely with this in mind, as I already had the detailed Lima body but with a poorly running chassis. I had to build up a cowling around the buffer beams using plasticard (not all that difficult) to match the earlier style Lima body.

Even so, the Lima one I chose still has the wrong exhaust ports, having the Mirrlees arrangement when it should have the English Electric arrangement. Oh, well. Round Tuits, and all that! :D

26370494907_751a58ef1d_k.jpg
Class 30 improvements 8 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

(I have posted this pic elsewhere, so apologies to those who have seen this and are saying, "Oh, not him again!").

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

No they arent!

The bodysides represent an unrefurbished machine, the cab fronts represent a refurbished machine.  Complete mish-mash

The only good thing about them is the chassis

Ive only bought them for the 8 pin chassie,so never looked over  the bodys closely.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2016 at 02:44, crompton 33 said:

SRman. Like the class 31 skinhead . Is the signal box the old Hornby diecast one in the back ground.

Yes, it is, indeed, the old Hornby Dublo box. I bought a rather scrappy and dented example at a swap meet with this modification in mind. It is based loosely on what Radley Models show on their website. 

I straightened out the dents and bends, added the plasticard 'boards' at the tops of the windows to reduce their size, repainted it and added stair handrails, glazing, an interior and lighting. Dare I hijack this topic for a moment to post a pic or two of it?

Yeah, what the heck!  :D   :devil: 

28767459168_42a4454d0f_k.jpg
IMG_20180607_204751 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

28767460248_061c3de86d_k.jpg
IMG_20180607_204736 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

With apologies to class"66".

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

Yes, it is, indeed, the old Hornby Dublo box. I bought a rather scrappy and dented example at a swap meet with this modification in mind. It is based loosely on what Radley Models show on their website. 

I straightened out the dents and bends, added the plasticard 'boards' at the tops of the windows to reduce their size, repainted it and added stair handrails, glazing, an interior and lighting. Dare I hijack this topic for a moment to post a pic or two of it?

Yeah, what the heck!   :D   :devil:

LTSignalBoxFittinganInterior-5_zps3051ad

LTSignalBoxFittinganInterior-11_zps40db3

With apologies to class"66".

I'm impressed with that SR Man

• Like 1

My Hornby Dublo box on Dittons. This one's got wet and dry on the roof . windows have been changed . Mesh fitted over the lower windows. Floor fitted with 2 men in the box and signel displayscreen fitted. Sorry going off topic class 66.  IMGP0384_zpsf089xqoy.jpg

• Like 1