5 RMwebbers have a day out on SWT

Wednesday was the day that 5 RMwebbers had a day out on SWT.

Melangoose and I arrived at Salisbury where we were shortly joined by Paul Rhb. Our first mission was to visit the local breakfast bap shop, ready for the journey to Bristol.

We then returned to the station to wait for Temeraire and Hampshire Hog who had joined the train further up the line. Sadly the train was running 18 minutes late but on the plus side we got to see some of the new Dapol MRA wagons being delivered to Eastleigh.

video clip.

post-6849-0-18816300-1371078202.jpg

A gloomy journey to Bristol.. And too late to see the Colas 56, if it ran?? 

post-6849-0-15381700-1371077982.jpg

Time for a quick caramel latte and some fresh air.

post-6849-0-15409400-1371077970.jpg

After a short stop over we headed back to Salisbury, a quick change there and then onto Eastleigh. 

Time for another drink.

post-6849-0-40817400-1371077998.jpg

A few of the movements we observed.

post-6849-0-24735900-1371078013.jpg

post-6849-0-97459900-1371078030.jpg

post-6849-0-99274000-1371078046.jpg

post-6849-0-92461900-1371078065.jpg

Weather was really dull and wet for most of the day, so after a few hours it was time to return to Salisbury, via a well known location!

post-6849-0-95912000-1371078079.jpg

Overall it was a good day out with a good group of blokes.

Hopefully we will get out again in the near future..

Maybe we could fill a coach with RMwebbers next time!  

• RMweb Gold

I'd just like to point out only one of us had the caramel latte!

It was slightly moist out but a good day, we even popped into the modelshop at Eastleigh. I'll add a couple of pics later ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to point out only one of us had the caramel latte!

Yes and more than once I think, and let's not mention the Hawaiian burger back in Salisbury and he doesn't appear in the pics!

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you had a good day out.  I must have just missed you at Eastlaigh as I was having my own day out from Bournemouth to knock of the remaining lines on Page 10 in my rail atlas.  It was a good day with some interesting problems at Havant where a signalling fault meant thay could only use the northern platform so the reversible signalling was being used to some effect though the Southern services from Southampton were cancelled, fortunately I'd caught the last one that ran.  

Jamie

Thanks Captain,

I must admit PaulRhb did check one of the real time type sites and couldn't seem to find it. So that sort of confirms our thoughts that it didn't run, rather than we missed it.

Maybe next time...

Hi Jamie,

Sounds like you had an interesting day.

No new track for me that day, and I do still need a fair bit on pg 10.

And just to put the record straight it was one caramel latte and one Mocha.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

One interesting point about the problems at Havant was that at Havant all the announcements were saying that the fault was at Wimbledon while at Southampton and on the train they said it was due to a problem at Havant.  Does anyone know where the signalling at Havant is controlled from these days.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Havant ASC :)

...which is basically a glorified portacabin in the adjacent station car park!!

I can confirm about four or five (plus one set of empties in the morning) run via Eastleigh calling there and Southampton Airport Parkway only.  One of these eastbound in the mid afternoon is designed to get out of the way to allow the usually late FGW service to Brighton to go past, it going along the coast via Swanwick.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I give up. What was a Southern 377 doing at Eastleigh? Must be another service I know nothing about!

I have been on one or two of these. they run just a few times a day even on Saturdays.

The Southern map shows this as a limited service. You can find them when on National Rail website when doing a search from Barnham or Chichester to Southampton look up and then you will notice a different journey time on the trains without a change.

Ian

Archived