BR 410 BEP EMU's and their buffets

In green SYP and in b/g but not in plain green nor plain blue syp.  Bachmann has released Cep units in all the foregoing though the plain blue units were commissioned by Modelzone.  Maybe we'll get a plain green Bep another year.

...and it shrink-rayed for 'N' Gauge... :)

• RMweb Gold

In green SYP and in b/g but not in plain green nor plain blue syp.  Bachmann has released Cep units in all the foregoing though the plain blue units were commissioned by Modelzone.  Maybe we'll get a plain green Bep another year.

You're probably right. I could use two; one in plain green and one with a syp. However, with the price they're likely to be, and considering everything else that I'd like to get, I don't want to buy them together. Similarly, I'm sure Bachmann don't want to issue them together and saturate the market, resulting in price reductions that would be nice for us but not so nice for their retailers.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your help on this subject, typically I had been using a photo of one of the prototypes in my research, however from checking other photos it appears what I have done so far is correct for the production ones. Unfortunately the preserved one is a bit too far away to go and photograph, I have hover got some basic dimensions for a very old Model Railway Constructor article, and the br diagram book so shall keep on progressing whilst finding more photos.

This is what I have managed to work out so far,

Kitchen side,

attachicon.gifBEP Kitchen side.jpg

Corridor side,

attachicon.gifBEP Corridor side.jpg

Thanks again,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Mikes,

Thanks both of you for you help.

I have now updated the model to include the handles and a few other details.

I have tracked down a copy of MRC and the drawings were used to help work out the locations of all the doors and windows, I don't have the Goulding book but will look out for it. I am also hoping to have a test shot made in the next few days so will put up some photos when they arrive.

I have attached some images to show my interpretation of the BEP.

attachicon.gifbep1.jpg

attachicon.gifbep2.jpg

attachicon.gifbep3.jpg

attachicon.gifbep4.jpg

attachicon.gifbep5.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Looking at this a few years later, that looks AMAZING! I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you still have the Sketchup model?

EDIT: I have looked at your website, but I found nothing (excluding the news on the progress) on it.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• 3 years later...

Once again, the vagaries of the RMWeb search engine have meant that this thread has only come to my attention whilst searching for something only vaguely related using Google outside the forum! However, now I have found this years after it was last active, I am going to ask @Wild Boar Fell - have you any plans to produce/sell the buffet car body, now that Bachmann have belatedly - and expensively - released the 4-BEP?

I have purchased etched sides to attempt the conversion, but if a 'body swap' is available I would rather follow that route (far less opportunity for me to completely muck up with cack-handed modelling skills!)

I wait, with baited breath ...

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given that the original work was in 2013 and was abandoned once Bachmann announced their 4-BEP, I wouldn’t bate my breath for too long if I were you.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Given that the original work was in 2013 and was abandoned once Bachmann announced their 4-BEP, I wouldn’t bate my breath for too long if I were you.

Darius

Well, yes, but there's no harm in asking! After all, perhaps @Wild Boar Fell is not aware that I - and possibly others - have decided that modifying a cheaply picked up second hand 4-CEP is more financially justifiable than buying the (relatively) expensive new Bachmann model?

If I paid £100 for such a body, that would mean I could produce a 4-BEP (given my recent eBay purchases) for around £220* (not including paint, glue etc) which is still 50% cheaper than Bachmann's (albeit gorgeous and wonderfully accurate) offering. Or I could - should the mood take me - build two 4-BEPs for the price of one! I am sure there are others, like me, who are willing to overlook any slight errors in order to achieve such savings.

It may be that production costs now - several years and post-Brexit - may be considerably higher. In which case, a simple "Could be done but will cost approx £XXX" message might then give an indication of feasability for both the producer @Wild Boar Fell and potential purchaser (eg me) - if I was told that such a body would now cost eg £180 then I would reconsider whether that is actually a financially viable route.

It may not be worth the time and effort to produce - but that is for @Wild Boar Fell to decide.

Saying all that, I am not holding my breath!!

Steve S

* There are those who bought sets at £89 back in the day - imagine modifying one of those into a credible 4-BEP?! What a bargain!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Cursed typos!
  • Agree 1

Just in case @Wild Boar Fell is not along soon, IIRC from a conversation I had with him some long while ago the plans were originally shelved due to the 3D printing process not being reliable enough to repeatedly produce distortion free prints of that sjze. 

HTH?

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

Thanks for asking, unfortunately I am not planning to continue this project further with the Bachmann model now being imminent/available (out of the loop sorry).

Leopald is quite correct that even though the price at the time was high, the issue was a distinct bowing of the structure. Earlier this year I had been experimenting with a new machine, which is having similar issues on smaller prints.

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Thanks 1