Towcester 1930-50 - making signals for Towcester

MikeHemmings

No I did not know that's very interesting do you know what it was used for,

thanks Mike

She would have worked on a through freight service.

The 8F on the GCR was also seen on the line as was the 4F on the KWVR.

There is loads of info on the SMJR site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mike

Regarding the 2-4-2T that you have photos of on the SMJR, I'm convinced that it's a LNWR 5'6" Webb loco. Sadly the number isn't legible on your photo to identify the engine. 

I've dug out some of my old LMS books and they say that...

• By your period only Stratford upon Avon had a loco shed on the line - those at Blisworth, Olney and Towcester all closed. 
  • By 1923 Stratford shed was downgraded to a sub-shed of Saltley near Brum
  • By 1935 Stratford shed was downgraded to a 'garage' 21D
  • Trips appear to have been worked in from Bedford, Gloucester and Northampton

To find your probable loco it's therefore worth looking to look at the allocation of Northampton shed and nearby.

On the 31st Dec 1947 (last day of the LMS), the 2-4-2Ts shedded at Northampton, Warwick and Bletchley were:

6604 B

6616 N

6666 N

6669 W

6673 W

6683 W

6742 N

6749 W

I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable as to whether any of these could have run over the Towcester line, but it's a starting point...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris

I looked at Northampton shed and found a book called The reminiscences of an LMS Firman by Derek Mutton,it shows a LMS 2 4 2 tank No6641.

Mike

Judging from its absence in the 1947 list I have I'm guessing it was scrapped and your photo was earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point Mike in the direction of where to find a drawing of the LNWR Webb 2-4-2 5'6" Tank please? 

Many thanks for any assistance.

Hi Chris & Mike,

There's  a 1:76 (4mm/1foot) scale drawing of a 5' 6" tank (in LMS days, motor-train fitted and with poppet safety valves) on page 148 of 'An Illustrated History of LNWR Engines', by Edward Talbot, Oxford Publishing Co., 1985, ISBN 0-86093-209-5.

I think a similar drawing appeared in the Railway Modeller too, possibly late 70s, or early 80s?  Somebody on RMweb will have a full set of Modellers and perhaps be able to identify the exact issue.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...