Towcester 1930-50 - making signals for Towcester

MikeHemmings

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

I looked in my copy of LMS wagons

Any idea what they used for.

Mike

Think it was just a bog standard covered goods van. Just from an earlier period when they had a play with a drop panel as well as cupboard doors. Later vans had full height cupboard doors or sliding doors.

• RMweb Premium

It's an LNWR dia 88 van, essentially their standard design from 1908 onwards. The drop flap was intended to make loading and unloading easier when there was an adjacent platform, road vehicle or what have you. Probably didn't work out as well as intended, otherwise it would have become widespread. They built about 6,000 of them.

Edit: useful link - http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/vans/Diag088.php

I saw that page Simon but not knowing much about LNWR stuff, wasn't sure if it was the right diagram owing to the door planking being horizontal rather than vertical in Mike's photo. I'm sure there could have been variations though as they were built by 5 different contractors.

• RMweb Premium

You could probably assemble with araldite or super glue if you don't fancy soldering

If you don't fancy Mark's suggestions, I've got a low temp soldering iron and suitable solder you could use. I used to be worried about whitemetal but, with the suitable kit, it's not a problem. I could even solder it for you if you really want one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...