Electrical Pick-Ups for Bachman 08

Hi, everyone

This is my first post, so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I am just starting modelling again after a break of more than 40 years!

I have decided to try to build a small layout in P4 (!!!), and am trying to modify a Bachmann 08 as my first P4 loco. I have re-wheeled it successfully, but I cannot solve the problem of electrical pick-ups. The originals are not suitable for the new wheel profile, so I need to provide an alternative.

So far, all my attempts have failed. I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me towards a "how-to", or provide me with some guidance on how to start.

Thank you in advance

I have a Bachmann 08 converted to P4. Like you I had trouble with the pickups which were impossible to ajust. What I did was to cut a piece of copperclad 9mmX40mm, gap it longways down the middle and glue it to the keeper plate between the gear wheel hump and the front screw. I then soldered .33 brass wires to the copperclad and formed little loops at the end to bear on the backs of the flanges. Fine flexible wire was then soldered between each half of the copperclad and one of the old pickups (suitably cut down) each side. Works beautifully giving me a very good slow shunter. Try it for youself. Please ask if anything is not clear.

Mike

A further alternative if prepared to strip the mechanism down, is to solder wire or phosphor bronze strips to the wiper strip that Bachmann install. All nicely concealed inside the frames when done.

Just in case you haven't done it, while working on this chassis it is beneficial to file a recess into the keeper plate to allow the sprung axle a little more downward travel.

I'd have to check at home tonight, but I seem to recall that with my Bachmann 08 converison I twisted the pickups so that the edges of the strips bore on the flanges of the wheels (I used Ultrascale ones). I think that this was described in one of the articles in the Scalefour News on converting the Bachmann model (are you a member as back issues are available via the Society website).

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I have a converted Bachmann 08, and I have done both a tweak of the original pick-ups, plus some phosphor-bronze strip soldered to a piece of copper-clad paxolin glued to the underside of the chassis. You cannot see the pick-up strips, especially when they have been painted black.

Thanks everyone. That gives me loads of information, so I know where to start.

I have damaged the original pick-ups too much by trying to tweak them, so a total replacement is necessary. I had been thinking about the copper-clad replacement for the keeper plate, so I think I'll give that a go.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Thanks everyone. That gives me loads of information, so I know where to start.

I have damaged the original pick-ups too much by trying to tweak them, so a total replacement is necessary. I had been thinking about the copper-clad replacement for the keeper plate, so I think I'll give that a go.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Try the "How to" page on this website, shows you how to do it. I have done the saem and my 08 runs brilliantly.

http://www.dyserth-road.co.uk/

Archived