ICI Buxton (Tunstead, etc) Railways in the 1960s

Following a little more research about how Buxton Central Lime works was fuelled, it rather looks as if the gantry was part of a pneumatic elevator which drew up coal slack from trucks deposited in the second siding from the kilns. The machinery for this was situated at the end of the gantry that is at 90 degrees to the main deck/runway of the kilns. The slack was deposited into a bunker between kilns 2 and 3. I don't know how the slack was fired though but I would suggest there would have to have been some forced mechanical draught. It rather looks as if this modification from the hitherto  coal ramp was effected sometime between 1930 and 1935.

J.M. Bentley's excellent new books 'Over The Peak Parts 1 & 2', contain some previously un-published photos of the quarries, that were and still are, situated alongside the old Midland main line. 

Incidentally Louis, my elder brother used to be the manager at Hindlow that you are modelling in such a spectacular way.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks PGH for the fascinating information and photos. I was quite astounded to hear about the locos scrapped by preservation groups. I never realized they went in for that sort of thing before. 'Tis a wicked world indeed.
Alan.

Regrettably, Alan, difficult decisions sometimes had to be made.  When Trevithick came to Steamport it already had very poor tyres and other problems but did some useful work for a number of years. Unfortunately during an unusually cold spell the cooling system froze causing irreparable engine damage so the decision was made to scrap it and replace it with a pair of Yorkshire 02 'lookalikes' which were actually much more useable locos.  I think calling us "wicked" was a bit severe - decisions like this were not taken lightly, believe me.

A very interesting thread PGH - thanks for posting.

Ray.

I think calling us "wicked" was a bit severe - decisions like this were not taken lightly, believe me.

Sorry Ray. I stand rebuked for my flippant remark. I must learn to behave myself on the Internet. Yes, I do see there may be circumstances where, as my mother used to say, 'they no longer pay for the mending'. Thanks for the details on Trevithick's fate. Alan.

• 5 months later...

Hi PGH, on your first post, you show a view of the Upper Quarry, showing the extensive narrow gauge railway, but also some std gauge BR hoppers. 

How did they did they get there? How was the Upper Quarry linked to the lower area? An incline? Rope or Adhesion?........ so many questions, but I'm quite fascinated by the series of photo's you've shared, of how things 'used to be done'....

many thanks in advance....

joe

Joe,

The standard gauge sidings at the top of the kilns were served by a steeply graded loco worked line that branched off the level sidings just south of the workshops.  At the top end it ran alongside the roadway from the workshops to the quarry floor as shown in the photo below.  Note the stockpiles of coal for the kilns.

post-14569-0-94486200-1454280992.jpg

Edited by PGH
  • Like 4

Hi PGH, hope this is of interest for those following your Tunstead thread......

For those who live in the Buxton area, there will be a display of photo's taken from Tarmac's quarrying archives. It will be taking place at the Methodist Church from 13th - 19th Feb, see attached pic for more details....

Tarmac_zpsdhaoqpij.jpg

joe

• 4 weeks later...

Joe,

The standard gauge sidings at the top of the kilns were served by a steeply graded loco worked line that branched off the level sidings just south of the workshops.  At the top end it ran alongside the roadway from the workshops to the quarry floor as shown in the photo below.  Note the stockpiles of coal for the kilns.

attachicon.gifC1.20B.jpg

I worked on Tunstead kilns while the incline was still in use. The top level sidings only went as far as the end of the rotary kilns (the two chimneys centre) where full coal wagons were held in reserve. Gravity shunting took the wagons through the two discharge points for either the rotary kilns or the shaft kilns.

The rules were two loaded wagons ascending, three empties descending. The bottom of the incline joined the south works siding by the “dogs home” shunters cabin. To make it “safer” a set of catch points were fitted leading to a steeply oppositely inclined sand drag.

Someone had to break the rules, four empties descending on a rainy day. The catch points worked, the sand drag didn’t. It acted as a ski jump launching the train.

The root cause? Poor maintenance. Over the years the sand had washed away leaving bare rail. Fortunately the driver jumped off about half way down the incline.

The kilns were numbered north to south

Tunstead 1 to 6

Buxton central 7 to 10

Hindlow 11 to 17

Two new kilns were built at Tunstead and took the numbers 7 and 8.

If anyone wants information on how the kilns were fired I can give it but it is not a subject for here.

Edited by Tony S

• 3 months later...

A very interesting read, especially as I've moved to this area of Derbyshire recently. I was particulary interested in the information on RS8, as I had seen it while walking locally, however this afternoon whilst on work business I noticed it has vanished, including track, sleepers and information board.

After reading that plans are to restore it, I certainly hope this is why it's been moved, although I am not holding my breath considering the state it was in.

A very interesting read, especially as I've moved to this area of Derbyshire recently. I was particulary interested in the information on RS8, as I had seen it while walking locally, however this afternoon whilst on work business I noticed it has vanished, including track, sleepers and information board.

After reading that plans are to restore it, I certainly hope this is why it's been moved, although I am not holding my breath considering the state it was in.

As far as I know It's gone to Peak Rail.

As 2mm Andy has pointed out, it has joined my son's loco collection, although the instigation behind acquiring it was very much a family effort. You can read more about its removal here -  http://www.weekendrails.co.uk/latest-posts/312.html .

We are in touch with one of the engineers who did the conversion, and was instrumental in bringing it to the NSC from Dinting, but thanks to age and health was unable to see its restoration through.

We would very much welcome photos of RS8 at Dinting or Tunstead to add to the archive of the loco and possible display on Andrew's site.

Pete Briddon

• Like 4

Wow well done to all involved in removing RS8 from the NSC to Darley Dale. I visited RS8 some years ago following a works visit to Tunstead and I honestly could not see a future for the shunter given the condition that it was in sat all alone on it's piece of track. So it would be good to see RS8 again just need some ICI Hoppers for it to shunt around!

Cheers Paul

• 3 months later...

The “RS” numbering system was comical. RS stood for “road service” vehicle. All the Ruston Bucyrus RB150 face shovels were assigned a RS number.

Somehow I can’t see me getting away with parking a RB150 shovel in Tesco’s car park.

• 1 month later...

The Clay Cross MRS Hindlow layout was exhibited at the Spalding show last weekend. There is a video posted of various layouts there including Hindlow which is about 2/3 the way through.

Just Google Spalding Model Railway Exhibition 2016.

Colombo

• 3 years later...