The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Railway shots in video used in current Who tour.

Fat Controller

Not sure  where to put this one..

Just had the good fortune to see the Who live at the 02 (4th time I've seen them in 37 years, and probably the best). Daltrey's spent a lot of time doing a video synched to 'Quadrophenia'; in this there are two recurring railway images. 

The first is a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific hauling a uniform rake of Pullmans- presumably either the Bournemouth or Devon Belle.

The second is more curious; a view taken travelling along a length of track. In the 4-foot is a single, continuous, cable, whilst to the right-hand side is what looks like cable ducting on supports; at on epoint, the track seems to be supported on a concrete slab, rather than sleepers. It's reminiscent of some train-control system being trialled at one of BR Research's test tracks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Outtakes from the "Quad" film, I suspect?

Best, Pete.

It didn't look like it; a lot of shots were from black and white COI and newsreel 16mm film from the 1940s onwards, and Townsend made a point of commenting that Daltrey and his team had made a great effort in editing it all to fit the music. There was also a lot of footage of the Who from their earliest days in the Railway Hotel onwards; one nice touch was that they used film of Mooney as 'Bell Boy', and a recording of him singing/drumming. but with the rest of the band playing live. They did the same with the Ox, though Townsend quoted Salieri on Mozart ('Too many notes, too many notes') about that.

I could identify little, if any, as being from the film of Quadrophenia.

WRT to the concrete slab track, with the wires and supports, I'm sure I've seen pictures on the 'net of that somewhere, but I can't remember where.  There might be a link to it on here, or the previous version of RMweb.

Looking about on Google, Mickleover had sections of slab track, and there was also apparently a section between Derby and Belper.

HTH

Not sure  where to put this one..

Just had the good fortune to see the Who live at the 02 (4th time I've seen them in 37 years, and probably the best). Daltrey's spent a lot of time doing a video synched to 'Quadrophenia'; in this there are two recurring railway images. 

The first is a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific hauling a uniform rake of Pullmans- presumably either the Bournemouth or Devon Belle.

The second is more curious; a view taken travelling along a length of track. In the 4-foot is a single, continuous, cable, whilst to the right-hand side is what looks like cable ducting on supports; at on epoint, the track seems to be supported on a concrete slab, rather than sleepers. It's reminiscent of some train-control system being trialled at one of BR Research's test tracks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Watched this yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b02xf0gc/The_Who_on_Quadrophenia/

BBC in discussion with P.T. and R.D. (I'm not sure whether this is available to our oversea's members....more the pity...as it's good great stuff)

The background clip of track, you mention, is featured about 13 mins.in, but no shots of Bulleid + Pullmans,...mores the pity.

Regards.

It didn't look like it; a lot of shots were from black and white COI and newsreel 16mm film from the 1940s onwards, and Townsend made a point of commenting that Daltrey and his team had made a great effort in editing it all to fit the music. There was also a lot of footage of the Who from their earliest days in the Railway Hotel onwards; one nice touch was that they used film of Mooney as 'Bell Boy', and a recording of him singing/drumming. but with the rest of the band playing live. They did the same with the Ox, though Townsend quoted Salieri on Mozart ('Too many notes, too many notes') about that.

I could identify little, if any, as being from the film of Quadrophenia.

A lot more info than your original question, Brian!

Best, Pete.

WRT to the concrete slab track, with the wires and supports, I'm sure I've seen pictures on the 'net of that somewhere, but I can't remember where.  There might be a link to it on here, or the previous version of RMweb.

Looking about on Google, Mickleover had sections of slab track, and there was also apparently a section between Derby and Belper.

HTH

It's still there, well the slab is, just north of Little Eaton junction,  located where the goods line would have been in past years. Only recently there were some PWay staff fastening a length of rail to it? I suspect some kind of training exercise. 

There's also a length of slab with different types of rail fixings and 'sleepers' just on the Grantham side of Radcliffe on Trent. I remember travelling over that when the down line was slewed onto it (in the 60s I think).

Archived