Farish Fairburn 2-6-4T

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I note from the Farish site this this has been put back till Dec/Jan. Never mind, perhaps I'll have time to get some answers from the experts out there. My question is:- Farish have announced 2 rivet patterns; I intend to re-number into LTS stalwarts 42222 and 42678 (clearly numbers which appealed to me as a child in the fifties!). Which of the Farish models should I choose as the basis? 

Thanks in anticipation.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I note from the Farish site this this has been put back till Dec/Jan. Never mind, perhaps I'll have time to get some answers from the experts out there. My question is:- Farish have announced 2 rivet patterns; I intend to re-number into LTS stalwarts 42222 and 42678 (clearly numbers which appealed to me as a child in the fifties!). Which of the Farish models should I choose as the basis? 

Thanks in anticipation.

Well I got absolutely no replies! Now the Farish site shows lovely pics of the imminent models and again mentions the rivets--this time applying to SR and LMS allocated locos. I can't be the only one needing an answer (or can I?)

Possibly because nobody knew the answer- including me!

However, I do have a few books..

My LMS engines book gives the build dates as 1945 (2673-99, 2200-17), 1946 (2218-64), 1947 (2265-99 and 2187-9), 1948 ( 42147-82, 2190-9) 1949 (42107-32/83-6), 1950 (42050-78, 42096-42106 and 42133-56), 1951 42079-95.

Looking at pics elsewhere, the rivet pattern on Farish's 2691 is in pics I have of 42284 and 42696, both pre-nationalisation build.. 

I would suggest the pattern of rivets found on the Farish 42073 and 42096 might just be the Brighton-build locos of 1950-1951 . 

Your pair are 1946-built (42222), and 1945-built (42678), which means the rivets on the Farish 2691 in LMS black or the weathered 42267 are the right pattern.  Hard luck- it either means disturbing the weathering to renumber, or lining-out a plain black one yourself.   I'm lucky- 42073 was an NER-allocated loco.

Hope the info is useful even if not the easiest answer to model...

Les

There's a detailed discussion of Fairburn rivet patterns (with pictures) here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10799-Bachmann-fairburn-tank-rivet-patten/?hl=%2Bbachmann+%2Bfairburn . I don't think having to renumber a weathered example should be too bad - very dirty engines often had just the number wiped clean.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much guys. I never thought of myself as a rivet counter before this!

It would be nice to have an accurate loco but the weathering on my green 08 is very stubborn, so I might take the easy option. 

• RMweb Premium

We LMR modellers are certainly being spoilt at the moment with some really good models but am I alone in wanting more? What about something with a parallel boiler?? hint, hint Mr Bachmann

What about a big dirty beast of an 8F too!

• RMweb Gold

The postman arrived with my Fairburn this at 07:00 this morning. Something of a record for the Royal Mail! 

I had told myself I would only purchase engines suitable to the Ropley project, i.e. based engines or those that have visited the line, but i'm a sucker for a big tank engine and as there are 2 in preservation it's not beyond the realms of possibility one may visit Hampshire at some point in the future! 

Anyway, the model is yet another superb product from Farish. It's difficult to describe the quality of the mouldings they are producing these days without over using the same superlatives, but the Fairburn is certainly up there with the best of their recent releases. The fine edge to the running plate ahead of the tanks is particularly nice. 

post-1467-0-12547700-1390476920_thumb.jpg

Running wise I'm pleased to say that my example was a good runner straight from the box, and that has improved further since running for a couple of hours. There is a tiny bit of a horizontal wobble, but this is only noticeable when running at speeds well in excess of anything that will be seen on Ropley. Current collection is only from the main wheel sets and so there are no traction tyres, but haulage capability appears more than adequate. 

Interestingly, the packaging is of the same design as the WD and B1 and the model is held firmly in place with no part of it touching the motion. All of the recent GF models which I have had to return have used the vac-form tray type, whilst those received in this style have been fine. I'm certain that if they were to standardise on this style of packaging they would see far less problems. 

As with the 5MT, there are no front steps provided in the little bag of goodies, but it does come with drain cocks and fire irons. 

The DCC chip protrudes into cab floor in a similar manner to the 3MT, so once the chip is fitted it may need disguising to avoid it being visible. 

All in all though this is another fantastic little model from Farish. 

Tom. 

My 42073 is still somewhere in tr postal system. Based on the reports from here and elsewhere I am looking forward to receiving it.

Notable that at Hattons their initial stocks of the Late Crest and the weathered one are already sold and they are having to re-stock.

Same happened with the weathered J39, it seems that the factory-weathered models are becoming very fast sellers.

Roy

All Fairburns are still showing in stock at Barwell so I am asuming it is just a question of Hattons waiting for their next shipment having sold out of the initial one but your replacement may not be instantly despatched I suspect.

It appears from the speed they are selling that this is a popular prototype.

I have to say I am very happy with mine, it runs very sweetly indeed with none of the "oscillation"  that you reported. I assume you did not get a chance to see if applying a trace of lube to valve-gear rivets and slide-bars cured the oscillation (as has been reported to successfuliy cure this problem elsewhere) before you returned it?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to find that it accepts normal Farish short NEM couplings and appears to leave an appropriate gap when coupled to unmodified Mark 1 suburbans.  

I found a right-angled 'S' shaped piece loose in the packaging; does anyone know where it belongs? The same applies to the two 'chunky' pieces in the parts packet--they're not mentioned in the leaflet.

Hopefully the Standard 4MT tank won't be far behind this cracker.

I found a right-angled 'S' shaped piece loose in the packaging; does anyone know where it belongs? The same applies to the two 'chunky' pieces in the parts packet--they're not mentioned in the leaflet.

It's probably one of the valve guides from the top end of the cylinders above the slide bars.

Cheers,

Alan

Hattons have just rung about my returned 4MT.  They agree it is unacceptably wobbly.  However they can't replace wuith a better one as EVERY ONE of the locos in stock is as bad or worse!

They've refunded my money and placed a pre-order from the next batch with a note to test it runs straight before dispatch.

All the very best

Les

Archived