• RMweb Premium

One of England’s finest corners The West Riding of Yorkshire with its blackened millstone grit architecture and hilly country makes for great settings for steam trains and layouts.

Sasquatch usually starts layouts with structure modeling and his next project is no exception and having perfected a technique on some smaller buildings has embarked on the piece-de-la-resistance. A full size textile mill.

Sourcing of materials started with a search on eBay for suitable windows (that wouldn’t upset the bank manager). Titchy Train, a name new to me and no doubt most of you, make dozens of windows at very nice prices about $3 for 12 in injection molded styrene. Although for HO the scale of windows really doesn’t matter if they fit the bill. The chosen type come out at 7’x4’ in 4mm scale and can be cut-n-shut to make shorter or narrower types and even the odd open one here and there which adds life to structures.

Construction starts by marking out the styrene stonework sheets, in this case O gauge dressed stone by Plastruct, and cutting out all window openings. The main skeleton is then cut from 5mm black foam board and pinned together with peco track pins to be sure all the parts fit before gluing on the stonework with cyanoacrylate. To be done outside with the fan on!!  All window openings are then trimmed out with my mate Stanley and the stone courses filed out at the edges. Further file work may be required to ensure that windows fit. Details, ledges and lintels are fixed with liquid styrene glue. The walls go together with PVA held in place until set with masking tape.

Northdean Mill, the prototype on which my model is based can be found on Stainland Rd in West Vale, Greetland.  

Cut down windows closed with microstrip.

post-8964-0-85470500-1371631140_thumb.jpg

All the windows bfore spraying with white primer

post-8964-0-95764800-1371631153_thumb.jpg

Main wall

post-8964-0-98339600-1371631104_thumb.jpg

The tower sides.

post-8964-0-55465600-1371631121_thumb.jpg

Assembled and detailed warehouse walls.

post-8964-0-07344700-1371631131_thumb.jpg

And here's one I made earlier!

post-8964-0-84050200-1371631215_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-79191100-1371631174_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-77692900-1371631192_thumb.jpg

That's going to be an amazing build, well done! I love the tower, so familiar to me from my teens in the Tame Valley (it was anything but...)

I look forward to seeing this grow..the modelling is of an impressive standard..

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's taken me back to the 5 years I spent in the Hebden Bridge area.

How are you bracing such s large building against warping?

• RMweb Premium

How are you bracing such s large building against warping?

The foam board is very cheap so 3 full floors. Warping is why I made the switch to cyanoacrylate as the last building warped after using white glue. This glue isn't very good for styrene but I have discovered that if the styrene stonework is removed a fair looking stone impression is left in the glue when dry. I've yet to paint it to see if it is any good.

This glue isn't very good for styrene but I have discovered that if the styrene stonework is removed a fair looking stone impression is left in the glue when dry. I've yet to paint it to see if it is any good.

I've used a similar method for producing a chequerplate pattern in N, the pattern being imprinted in the backing plastic from sticking plasters. The stuff doesn't really glue, but place it on styrene, flood with the very liquid cyano, let it set, then pull the 'mould' off and you're left with a neat imprint.

• RMweb Premium

This evening saw complete madness brought on by "micro strip blindness" and that was after not only cutting out all the windows through the foam board but filing each stone course around every opening. :cry:   :sarcastichand: click to enlarge!

post-8964-0-35323200-1371709685_thumb.jpg

How does one fix over 100 windows with cyanoacrylate without bonding ones fingers?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Iain. Thats real encouragement coming from you!

Hoping to put some of it together tomorrow.

Will probably omit the offices and am not modeling the back but have added a 5th story as it is intended to be used as a scenic break for the main line which should be on an embankment. The trains will actually run on tight curves through the mill without being apparently so!

post-8964-0-98543600-1371712633.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Made some progress this evening helped by instant cyano! The slight warp in this extension main wall has been flattened by adding only one floor piece half way up. Access to all windows openings has been maintained untill after painting. 

post-8964-0-14157100-1371794240_thumb.jpg

A note on my work bench which is the new kitchen table. The old one is in my hobby room now in full time use as a work bench but it isn't the way of things!

Off to bed early as it's going to be a long day tomorrow and I want to make the most of it !

post-8964-0-97896400-1371794857_thumb.jpg

This is going to be truly one heck of a model - what a lot of plastic - it must have cost a fortune. I can sympathise with the superglue issue - none of my fingers tips have fingerprints at the moment - all the whorls are clogged up with cyano!!

• RMweb Premium

This is going to be truly one heck of a model - what a lot of plastic - it must have cost a fortune. I can sympathise with the superglue issue - none of my fingers tips have fingerprints at the moment - all the whorls are clogged up with cyano!!

I started it about a week ago and so far it's running at $120. Thats great when you think 3 RTP scenecraft brewery buildings run to about the same! And then I'll probably knock up a couple of warehouses from the scraps like this one. Instead of cutting out window openings from a sheet of stonework, the cut outs from other projects have been built up to form a whole wall. The windows came from spare DPM modulars and were cut down, shut with styrene strip,primed and srayed wth crafters acrylics.

Based on a warehouse on the river Worth at Keighley Station.  

post-8964-0-73902400-1371828170_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

OMG, this is really going to be something else - truly awesome modelling.Can't wait to see it finished.

Allan.

Thanks Allan, am having trouble thinking up a name for the layout. Its needs to sum up a once visited West Riding grubby back water on a rainy day in the 40s. Needs a couple of Luftwaffe victims too me thinks.

Thanks Allan, am having trouble thinking up a name for the layout. Its needs to sum up a once visited West Riding grubby back water on a rainy day in the 40s. Needs a couple of Luftwaffe victims too me thinks.

Like Mayfair or Berkley Square maybe !

But try  something like Ironbank, Grimesthorpe Mills ,Lofthouses, Stonehills or something -  in fact, come on Guys, a name for Sasquatch's layout ! 

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

The best I've come up with so far is  Lostvale come Graftley  the sort of place you dirive through when lost, get a grim veiw of the place and can't find it ten years later because most of it has been pulled down and rebuilt.

Edit;   Lostvale--Graftley  miss spelt  due to censorship!!!

Like Mayfair or Berkley Square maybe !

But try  something like Ironbank, Grimesthorpe Mills ,Lofthouses, Stonehills or something -  in fact, come on Guys, a name for Sasquatch's layout ! 

Cheers.

Allan.

I started a layout once called "Penwood Mill" which I always intended to resurrect, but I don't suppose I will ever get round to it! You are welcome to the name!

How about "Gradeley Town" since it is of course a northern expression of approval...Yorkshire folk like to call things "Nether Slack" or "Winter Syke" ...or such..."Beckthorpe"..."Force Tarn".... Or there's a name with an interesting flavour to it..."Boddington" ...

A glance at an online mapping site such as "find the path" will turn up many genuine names which might fit the bill... http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Looking forward to your next progress reveal!

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Some little progress yesterday, the main structure walls went together nicely. Any joints filled and the base coat of paint has been mixed (crafters acrylic sandstone,tan,  flesh tone & PVA in an old cream cheese tub which is stored in the fridge) and applied to the tower. No worries with warp so far the structure is very light and strong! It measures over 30"/ 77cm.

Hope to paint all this and cut out some roofs today! 

post-8964-0-91829900-1371913689_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-15534100-1371913705_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

By God Sasquatch, this is model making in a leaque of it's own - I bet it's given you square eyes cutting out all those windows !

Superb.

Allan.

There are well over 100, it was filing the stone courses in them that did me in!

edit: You be the judge and look back at post #17 to see if it was worth the effort? 

Archived