Switchers, Boxcars, "downtown"- help- it's got hold of me!

Colossus

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

I think you will enjoy modelling some American, I still find it easier than modelling British.

A Walthers catalogue would be a good investment http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new.php?pg=3&p_cat_id=163&prod_id=10291

Although it doesn't contain so much stock these days due to limited editions or Athearn it contains all the buildings, people, scenery stuff, vehicles, track etc.

Obviously manafacturers have their own websites to browse.

Choosing an era and an area will be another step, see what you fancy and go from there.

Model wise others have really covered it

Richard, another welcome to the dark side. This time from a Canadian that only started properly modelling North American AFTER moving to the UK. (I'm contrary, go figurelaugh.gif )

The others have done a great job of pointing out the pitfalls and what to look for and avoid. I'd like to add any plastic or delrin based coupler to that avoid list. McHenry, Intermountain, etc aren't worthwhile. I've been replacing all of mine with real Kadee couplers.

Just picked up the new Athearn SW1000 and can echo Craig's assessment. It runs great. Just as good as any of my Katos.

You don't say where you are based. The British region of the NMRA has groups spread all over the place. I'm with the Thamesiders in Essex as there is no London or Kent based group. Great bunch of guys. To make your passage to the dark side complete you really should check out your local branch and also look for NMRA mini-meets in your area. (Oxfordshire's meet this weekend is postponed)

'Wow' is the first word that springs to mind - so many welcoming voices is greatly appreciated.

I've been offline half a day and am overwhelmed by both the quantity of responses and the care and thought

everyone has taken in doing so, in many cases, pre-empting many of my questions that mysteries of 'The Dark Side'.

In no particular order, Martyn, 'Shortliner', 'Redliterail', '6026', Dave H (all the way from Nebraska), 'Squeaky', CraigZ (I pronounce it 'Zee' just for you),

JohnB, 'AlcoRS1', '298', 'Doctor Quinn'. 'F Unit mad', 'Northpoint', 'BR60103' and 'cnw6847', thankyou all.

DaveH ('dave1905'), your listing of typical switchers for different areas is very, very helpful. It shortcuts a lot of guesswork and speeds me forward to the enjoyable

pastime of exploring possibilities. That said, glancing through all the responses again, they're all massively helpful in different ways; there's so much to get my

teeth into and the links that many have posted will be great - even though I've no time to explore them just yet.

And yes, to those who so kindly offer to field more of my strange questions, yes, i'll be back!

I'm away now to shovel snow off the drive.

Best to all.

to help you work out what you want, you might want to work out what era, and location, this could help you choose what locos to look for.

Here is a little list to help you work out what you may want to model

1) Era:

2) Location:

3) Industries

4) Railroad companies that operate in the area

5) rolling stocked used in that era and companies most likely to see.

if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask there is a lot of knowledge, here that could help you figure out what you want to do.

Richard, alcoRS1 is spot on in his reply here. Once you have decided what, where and when, then the question of type and style of switcher will be more meaningful. For example, in 2009 a class one RR happily switches with large 6 axle engines, and not just one either, often 3 MU'd together. depends on their last duty and the next if its worth splitting them. In most yards smaller MP15 DC's or AC's are used with back up power using GP38-2' etc. Norfolk Southern's DeButts Yd in Chattanooga, TN. is a fine example of this practice. Linwood Yd in NC uses larger 4 axle power, GP50's 38-2's, GP60's. In fact NS now use their GP60 fleet primarily on locals and switching duties. CSX use AC4400CW's Road Slugs, GP40-2's 8-40C's and 8-40CW's, SD70ACe's, SD50-2's. In fact CSX being the kind of RR they are, they'll use anything they can get their hands on. The yardmaster will usually decide what is required based on what power is available when freight cars need to be moved from point A to B. That not only includes building trains but also delivery/collection of cars at terminals in the area. Hump duty is slightly different, more often than not with a 4 axle Geep and a slug unit.

If you decide to model a 1950's era layout, then the circumstance changes from what they are doing today.

HTH, any questions, keep asking and us lot on here hopefully can get back with sensible replies.

Cheers, Tony

hi......the dark side welcomes all newcomers........heh heh heh.....

I fell for it all over 25years ago......strangely because of a series of articles by Chris Ellis in his magasine...''scale model trains''

It was then that I found out the Athearn SW1500 wasn't...

and I kitbashed a Model Power Alco into a C630..or was it a 628 from a 630?

best bet is to join the NMRA British Region...full of helpful advice, very little of which involves skips.[sorry, dumpsters]....although somewhat 'out of it' in recent times, my special interest was the Spokane International RR...dunno why..I always was a bit left field....

The attraction of US [and Can-adian, I suppose]...railroads and modelling is that.....if you want, pretty much anything goes.

Many of our erstwhile contributors on this thread have mentioned all sorts of locos for switching [that's shunting].....but I have many.many year's worth of RMC, MR, and Railmodel Journal...not forgetting that classic of modelling mags, Narrow Gauge and shortline gazette....[all kept as a resource, pre-tinternet]....and in one of them I recall an article and pix...of a shortline serving a mining complex [complex maybe being too strong a word]......using old EMD F-units as switchers......even with a window cut into the rear and an engineer's control stand, for the 'blind' end...and, I believe, also using an F-unit B unit as a switcher!!! A pic I recall is the driver hanging out of the rear door of an F-unit....shuffling ore cars...

so..anything goes.....but don't be tempted to try a DDA40X on a small shelf latout.....as a switcher....

Dave H (all the way from Nebraska).

Ah, but the keyboard is only a foot away. 8-)

I'm away now to shovel snow off the drive.

With about 2 1/2 feet on my front lawn, -15 degrees F and a 25 mph "breeze" I feel your pain (well actually if you go outside for more than a little while you really don't feel much at all).

Back to MRing.

If helps your focus if you pick a timeframe and a region. There are only very loosely defined era's and a lot of overlap in N American railroading. Generally there is the "transition era" roughly 1945-1959, F units, early hood switchers, end cab switcher. The 1960's and 1970's bring 2nd generation units and the death of the older "steam era" roads, the 1980's-1990's have the riotous expansion of shortlines and colorful cars, the 200)'s have the megamergers and consolidation of rosters.

As far as location if you pick a major junction point or a major city you will have more variety of roads to pick from. So Chicago, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston, Ft Worth, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Buffalo, Detroit, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis offer the most opportunities for variety. The types of traffic varies greatly between locations.

Another possibility is to build a generic switching district and then by changing a few strategic structures or signs, change its "location" and thus the roads you would expect.

Dave H.

Hello Richard,

It must be something to do with the weather,rolleyes.gif

I have been thinking of doing a small downtown switching layout on some boards I have left for a couple of months.

I think you have asked all the questions I had been thinking of and more, and you have had some great help.

Hope you have fun.

Jack, problem is with all this darkness, I've had to buy another couple of lamps to see what I'm doing. laugh.gif

Tony

Surely that is what ditchlights are for. laugh.gif laugh.gif

I know, don't call you Shirley.

• RMweb Premium

Chicago was such a hub that it's easier to list the roads that didn't run there; it was the dividing point between east and west.

I saw a post this week suggesting Cincinatti as the station with the most variety of roads (Chicago had a bunch of stations).

Possibly better to choose one road and find a location where only they operated. You can still run freight cars from anywhere.

Chicago was such a hub that it's easier to list the roads that didn't run there; it was the dividing point between east and west.

I saw a post this week suggesting Cincinatti as the station with the most variety of roads (Chicago had a bunch of stations).

Possibly better to choose one road and find a location where only they operated. You can still run freight cars from anywhere.

From what I've seen of the average UK switching layout, the actual location isn't that critical to a certain extent (I know I said to choose). One you get into industrial buildings or architecture of a a certain era, it could be hundreds of locations. Since most small layouts will only use one engine, you can pretty much make it any railroad (with caveats).

There are certain styles of buildings and certain types of vegetation that are more common in some areas than others. The big give away is the signage. Road signs, industry names, etc. If you had an industry named "Keystone Warehouse" I would guess it was in Pennsylvania, "Husker Warehouse" Nebraska, "Buckeye Warehouse" Ohio. Same building. So by if you make a generic switching layout, then have some interchangeable signs, you can create the feeling of the location.

Picking an era and a location helps you narrow your choices for industries and rolling stock. Sometimes limiting choices can be a good thing.

Hi all. I've been watching this thread with some interest, can one of you knowledgable "Darksiders" tell me where I can get O gauge US outline locos, stock etc from in the uk>

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

I wanted to learn about US 0 scale a while back and asked what is good and bad: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/486-what-is-good-bad-in-us-outline-0-scale/page__fromsearch__1

If you have a read through there, you should get some useful information - thanks to these guys!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi all. I've been watching this thread with some interest, can one of you knowledgable "Darksiders" tell me where I can get O gauge US outline locos, stock etc from in the uk>

Thanks

Bob

Ebay is the best bet, really, Bob. My local model shop stocks some (inc Second Hand) but don't do on-line shopping; They mainly deal in Lionel 3-Rail though *pauses to wash mouth out* so you'd have to phone them (they do mail order) to see what they might have in 2-rail:-

http://www.tennentstrainsofhalesowen.co.uk/

Another one is Jason Dickie of Quince Valley Designs

http://www.quincevalleydesigns.co.uk/

though I've not used him myself.

Wagon and Carraige Works has some second-hand US O scale too.

http://www.wagonandcarriage.co.uk/

But don't be afraid to order direct from the US; you will find that the extra costs for Shipping and Import Tax bring prices to about the same as you'd pay a UK Dealer anyway (since they just pass on such charges too!).

I fell to the darkside last year and it is just great. Heed the advice well - I havent always and have bought unwisely (but what the hell it's still fun!)

Cant add too much but some tips:

Bing maps are easier to view than google earth for aerial inspiration.

Other prototype photo sites are http://gelwood.railfan.net/ and http://rrpicturearchives.net

Google searches on railrod companies will turn up many sites of interest - do the research - it is fun and could save a bit of money in the long run

Phil

I don't know if it is still in print - but what might help is "A FIELD GUIDE TO TRAINS" by Gerald Foster ISBN 0-395-70112-0 published by HOUGHTON MIFFLIN. Lots of line drawing showing LOCOS etc, and details of manuf dates , length, horsepower etc

Edit - available from amazon.co.uk at GBP9.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peterson-Field-Guide-Trains-Guides/dp/0395701120/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139954&sr=8-3

hi...bit of a broad timeframe there, in USA terms.....WW2-onwards to teh late 50's really is first generation diesel..[yup, I know they were in production pre-WW"]....for example, up to very early 1950's one had the EMD [General Motors...remember them?]....products...the F7 and F9...plus E-series passenger types.....these were the full carbody locos that typified US railroad images....then EMD came out with [after BL1 and 2] the GP7 &9...[and their 3-axle truck counterparts..the SD series].....which were categorised as 'road switchers'...

GE weren't really much on the scene for locos at this time...[early 1950's]...but ALCO,FM, and many others also had their competitive products.

By the late 1950's, EMD [and others] were looking to make a new product....I believe we can call them the 2nd generation diesels....lasting up until at least the early '70's.

EMD's GP20 and 30 are perhaps typical...with early GE U-boats...ALCO Century road switchers....also the age of teh super-diesel...with UP's famous Centennial double-diesel being the ultimate incarnation...

so..depends on where your cut-off point really will fall.....simply put...pre-late 50's, all first generation...1960's, a good mix of both....

now experts will pick holes in the above, but I'm trying to simplify what was aproblem for me years ago...what ran when?

I'm trying to simplify what was aproblem for me years ago...what ran when?

I wouldn't bother too much about that sort of thing when just starting out modelling the Dark Side (I know I didn't!)... getting a taste for as broad a range as possible of what US railroads are all about is a good start; you can narrow down your interests later on depending on what captures your imagination...

Archived