Switchers, Boxcars, "downtown"- help- it's got hold of me!

Colossus

there used to be a very friendly non-NMRA group that used to met bi-monthly in north Yorkshire near Rippon, though I've not been in the UK for a few years so I don't know if they are still going. The Calder Northern group of the NMRA used to meet in south Manchester

ahh yes, the Calder Northern lot.....

As I recall, the independant group centred mainly on the north-east of England....the group that eventually became the Calder Northern group [i was an active-ish member in those days] had meetings regularly....mainly in Knaresborough church hall....convenient as a half-way point twixt west and east.....in the early days we got into NMRA module building...which was quite a boon really, as it meant those meets weren't just about sitting chatting with like-minded friends...but..[if enough corner modules turned up]....we could actually run trains as well.

Bolton was another venue....

great fun.......

I think Crewe would be a bit too far for me to bother these days....?

I still have my original, NMRA-produced module board....chipboard 4x2, on 3x1 frames..wiv legz....although I've now sawn it in two for a shelf...

[i also still have a few diesels lettered for the Calder Northern's fictitous road name...and colour scheme...[i used grey with black]...]

Yes, I still have some Locos lettered for the "Southtrak System" for the Eastbourne based modular group from the late 80's who used to exhibit at Brighton Model world, including a double BL2......

The group I was trying to remember before was the Northern Counties American Modellers, who do still meet although they've moved from Sawley to Hampsthwaite. Their next meet is is 7th March and their website is http://www.ncamericanmodellers.co.uk though I found this a bit flaky in every browser I tried - it may work in IE 5 or something......

if you can get to it there are a pair of very useful tables for the budding American modeller on that site, they show the date of introduction for each diesel class, and fright car type - Also the dates of railroad mergers.

Tom

Yes, I still have some Locos lettered for the "Southtrak System" for the Eastbourne based modular group from the late 80's who used to exhibit at Brighton Model world, including a double BL2......

The group I was trying to remember before was the Northern Counties American Modellers, who do still meet although they've moved from Sawley to Hampsthwaite. Their next meet is is 7th March and their website is http://www.ncamericanmodellers.co.uk though I found this a bit flaky in every browser I tried - it may work in IE 5 or something......

if you can get to it there are a pair of very useful tables for the budding American modeller on that site, they show the date of introduction for each diesel class, and fright car type - Also the dates of railroad mergers.

Tom

Tom - thanks for that link - those tables are very useful..IE8 took me straight in - no problem, no flake.

Archived