LBSCR / SR Ballast Brake Van

Tricky-CRS

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for details of this van ideally pictures as I have drawings in "A Pictorial Guide to Southern wagons and vans.

I thought there were pictures of dia 1760 on the opposite page to the drawing in Terry Gough's book?

What other details are you looking for?

• 1 year later...

Although I am always a bit wary about kit manufacturers who don't appear to have a great deal of information regarding the prototype they have chosen to reproduce, I can add a few more potentially useful references for photos, namely Mike King's pictorial follow up to the wagon drawing series, of which I would have thought Volume 2 was essential for this project, and Issues 18 and 20 of Southern Way, which carry a history of Southern brake vans, with a photo of each type, unfortunately for you, one in each issue.

• 6 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Does this help, you can order a download from Transport Library, 5&9 Models used to offer this as a kit and they do appear from time to time on a well known auction site. However, they tend to be rather expensive.

If interested, I can post more images.

StaySafe

2C1884CB-0FA1-485F-8FBC-6EFF7D887984.jpeg.a3ac7379128ba32abbf57db6d49e93b0.jpeg

59b.jpg.2af31224143d057581b78b1abe74a208.jpg

Edited by Jack Benson

If it's dia.1760 that's of interest, it's a rebuild of the 'Brighton' van Hornby made/make : the body of that has always had its shortcomings* but I'm sure there would be a market for replacement 'Engineers' bodies for its 'good enough' chassis !!?!

* and in no way compares with the recent Warner 'New Van'.

Guest Jack Benson

Designed by AH Panter, six of these 6w ballast brake vans were constructed 1915-16 to LBSCR Diag 47. All were subsumed into SR ownership becoming SR Diag 1757

Originally painted red overall, they were numbered 327-332 (SR numbers 62834-39) During SR ownership they received lighting, first two oil pots replaced by two gas lights.

Withdrawls began in the late '40s, the last succumbed in 1957

Thank you and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
rubbish spelling