Dalry Park for Tynecastle Stadium

edin_bry2x

Having played about with xtrackcad for a little while, I think it might just be possible. I have 10ft x 21" for a scenic area - plus a possible extra 10" depth with some old boards I could bolt on the back as a parcels depot, but could actually operate as a stand-alone layout if I wanted it to.

Just means a 4ft traverser fiddle yard on the end, which I've never built before.

I think that, unless I happen to have a resident 08 for shunt release, I can get away with 5 carriage loco hauled trains, and six carriage DMU combinations.

Only thing now is to figure out how to fit in some sidings for freight otherwise I only have half my stock usable :)

Bry - looking good so far! smile.gif

Can I just ask about the track in your latest pics - the sleeper spacing seems wider than normal Peco code 75 and looks a lot better! Have you re-spaced it or is it a different make?

Hi Rich

Yeah its still Peco code 75 track i just took off all of the sleepers, then cut off the webs and fed all of the individual sleepers back on (an absolutely soul destroying task lol). It was sods law that meant only once the track was laid that i found a fold up brass spacer tool by PDH designs i think it was?. Kenton has a very helpful pic on his Challenge layouts thread, i used this as a basis for the spacing. I have to admit that i was very happy with the results, its just a shame that i couldnt do anything with the spacing on the points. Once i get this layout finished i may play around with a small plank layout a try my hand at building my own track next, might even give EM or P4 a try as i have been casting a rather envious look over the trackwork on Jim SW's P4 New Street layout its fantastic.

cheers for the comments

Bry

Having played about with xtrackcad for a little while, I think it might just be possible. I have 10ft x 21" for a scenic area - plus a possible extra 10" depth with some old boards I could bolt on the back as a parcels depot, but could actually operate as a stand-alone layout if I wanted it to.

Just means a 4ft traverser fiddle yard on the end, which I've never built before.

I think that, unless I happen to have a resident 08 for shunt release, I can get away with 5 carriage loco hauled trains, and six carriage DMU combinations.

Only thing now is to figure out how to fit in some sidings for freight otherwise I only have half my stock usable :)

Hi Cromton

i had originally planned on having 3 sidings for the freight yard but it just looked too cramped so i reduced down to just the 2 sidings which i think looks alright and quite plausable. I do still have to build the traverser i must say that im still trying to pluck up the courage to start on it as im not exactly a wood-work whizz kid :D

once the competition is finished i plan on adding 2 extensions to the layout, the first will be a purely scenic extension, probably just a 3ft board with no track showing the former trackbed continuing from the station between some typical tenements found round the west end of Edinburgh. The other will be an experiment in open-frame baseboards to show the line on an embankment maybe? not quite decided for definite about this one.

i designed this layout with a load 4 train in mind a bit like the Edinburgh-Dundee services of 1985-87 but i can squeeze 5 coach train in platform so may need a longer traverser :D just need to see what looks best as i dont really want a train to stretch nearly the full length of the layout. Im going to have resident Gronk purely so i can have a couple of the rather brightly coloured Haymarket examples.

cheers

Bry

Hi all

The ballasting and hard standing area is now complete so i was originally going to move on to the platforms next but i am now going to wait for the next edition of ModelRail seen as they are doing a special on Stations. So instead i will be weathering the ballast painting the hard standing area and fitting the backscenes, hopefully all before the next edition of ModelRail seen as i feel i may be a bit behind on this project. Some pictures are shown below of the work so far.

post-3864-127195823361_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127195826513_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127195829982_thumb.jpg

any advice welcome

cheers

Bry

Having played about with xtrackcad for a little while, I think it might just be possible. I have 10ft x 21" for a scenic area -

10ft x 21" = 120" x 21" = 2550 square inches > than 2010.

I am miss calculating ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Well its been a while since i posted an update, im going to start work on the platforms next week so i have posted a few pics of the track/ballast weathering, the hard standing area still needs to be weathered and toned down but at least it has its base colour, for some reason it has come out very very light in the pictures.

So if anyone has any tips on weathering a concrete pad they are most welcome :)

I think that this layout overview shows the weathering to good effect

post-3864-127413167504_thumb.jpg

The Gronk Pit

post-3864-127413175486_thumb.jpg

Hard Standing ( I only brought the plough out to play because it has the tightest clearance requirements )

post-3864-127413183398_thumb.jpg

The point leading to the headshunt

post-3864-127413187473_thumb.jpg

An attempt to disguise the Kadee uncouplers and the weathering where the locos will regularly stand on passenger and freight turns

post-3864-127413191362_thumb.jpg

The leads to the freight sidings

post-3864-127413199809_thumb.jpg

Cheers for looking and if anyone has any tips id love to hear them.

Bry

Wow 2 updates in 1 day

As you can see the layout now has a name 'Dalry Park for Tynecastle Stadium' i think this has been the hardest thing to do so far :D . But seriously i have also come up with a more definate location as well, the station is located on part of the old LMS lines that ran from Leith into the terminus at Princes Street. This line would have passed through Dalry before passing over the NB lines at Haymarket TMD so here is where the modellers license kicks in as two chords would have needed to be provided to allow access to both Waverley and Glasgow/Fife and the North.

As the new name suggests footex trains will play a major role as far as loco hauled services are concerned and every day will be a Hearts v Celtic game as im a die hard Hoops fan so you can all expect a thread on detailing a scratch Mk1 rake complete with an army of Veltic fans inside, i have fond memories of travelling around scotland toaway games on these services in grotty compartment stock - even the sealink set a couple of times.

This whole process has been a quality jaunt down memory lane.

Progress with the platforms has begun today with the basic sides completed on the disused platform, once both platforms are done i will take some pis to show the step by step method that im using.

cheers

Bry

Hi Folks

Well the progress was faster than i had anticipated on the basic carcass of the platforms. I have used 12mm x 12mm wooden strips for the sides and 6mm Hardboard for the surfaces.

These basic shells will be laminated with various styles of plastic sheet to complete them, but for now here are some pics of the work so far.

post-3864-127439131019_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127439138694_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127439142627_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127439152202_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127439155498_thumb.jpg

post-3864-127439158938_thumb.jpg

any questions feel free to ask

cheers Bry

• 3 years later...

Archived