Class 66 photos

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, D6150 said:

One of GBRF's dedicated Class 66's pulling the Royal Scotsman through Bucksburn earlier this evening. En route from Edinburgh to Keith I think, always a good jumping off point for the distilleries of Speyside.

When did Class 66's start appearing on passenger workings? I had it in my head that they weren't suitable for passenger workings, which is why EWS (remember them?) ordered class 67's? 

Thanks 

Ken

20210621_191044.jpg

66s are limited to 75mph, so unsuitable for express passenger services.

(It's a long story regarding co-co bogies and why EWS ended up with 67s)

However, as the Royal Scotsman isn't an express, then they are quite suitable - especially as the stock carries it's own onboard generator for electric supplies.

Other 66 passenger duties are railtours.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Other 66 passenger duties are railtours.

the other reason they are not suitable for passenger workings (on their own) as mick has eluded to is they don’t have an electric train supply however they regularly pilot the Caledonian sleeper north of Edinburgh when a pair of 73s aren’t available, it runs as a 66/73 combo with the 73 marshelled next to the coaches so it can provide the train heat and electrics etc 

Edited by big jim
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi,

Do the 66s have a Freight / Passenger change-over switch on the TPWS to change the timing on the processor to make them more suitable for passenger services, or does the fact that they are limited to 75mph mean that it doesn’t matter?

Simon

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

it has a pass/goods changeover switch normally accessed via the EM2000 computer but you can do it manually too with a toggle switch in the clean air end, not sure what it’s attached to electrically though 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for all the feedback folks, lack of electrical supply for passenger stock makes sense. The train was also noticeably slower over this section of track than the usual Scotrail 158's/170's, although I guess speed probably isn't a priority for the guests. 

Thanks 

Ken

• RMweb Gold

GBRf 66751 'Inspiration Delivered Hitachi Rail Europe' rumbles towards Brighouse, heading west along the Calder Valley, on 22nd June 2021 with loaded aggregate hoppers working 6Z40*, 07.50 Doncaster Down Decoy Yard to Bredbury Tilcon.

2139354516_667516Z40Brighouse220620211-RMweb.jpg.2547cc64a47441b86b1ce18b63eb2d58.jpg

1836455214_667516Z40Brighouse220620212-RMweb.jpg.ad0b1f3e5137da6a39519c349b761021.jpg

*This working has had a protracted journey, originally starting on 18th June at Mountsorell before being cancelled en route at Ashburys, only a few miles short of its destination.  It was then sent, still loaded, to Doncaster Down Decoy Yard where it had remained until today.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

66711 on tonight's class 442 scrap drag.

P1180098 (2).JPG

Hi Peter, We saw some / possibly 3 x 73's playing with some 442's in the far end of the Yard at Eastleigh yesterday, but the 73 we actually saw was a plain Blue one.

Where was this pic taken?

Are we allowed the odd video? I was out on my bike yesterday, and happened to check my phone to see what trains were about. A container train was about to come out of the new terminal at Tinsley, so I had a look down the back of beyond (near Booths scrapyard) to see if there was a chance of a quick phone photo.

View a bit restricted, but the Traksy map also showed a southbound steel train on the Old Road, so I tried a video, hand-held on my 4-year-old phone with the sun in the wrong place for top quality. As luck would have it, they crossed within a minute of each other, both slowing to a signal stop.

Anyway, 2 x 66s for the price of one:

https://youtu.be/BT0y8FwisCo

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Peter, We saw some / possibly 3 x 73's playing with some 442's in the far end of the Yard at Eastleigh yesterday, but the 73 we actually saw was a plain Blue one.

Where was this pic taken?

Picture was taken at Branksome, Andy, where he train reverses in/out of Bournemouth depot.

Apologies for a class 73 picture on the class 66 thread, but in answer to Andy's question, the plain blue one would've probably been "Broadlands".

P1180212 (2).JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

66793 looking very smart, at Tonbridge yesterday.

Parked in a terrible place for pics though !!

IMG_25817.JPG.448a0688ff9cf5f929c2c8aea4cce476.JPG

1484233941_IMG_25878(2).JPG.1f9afd3f01129899a4ae217330364ec5.JPG

Cheers,

Phil.

Interesting it's classed as a 66/6…I presume because of the lower gearing but would welcome clarification/correction!

Jack.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2021 at 21:20, Jack374 said:

Interesting it's classed as a 66/6…I presume because of the lower gearing but would welcome clarification/correction!

Jack.

I think the recent ex-Euro arrivals are all 66/6

• Informative/Useful 2