Class 66 photos

• RMweb Gold

A rather distant shot of 66121 in the South Quay Days Aggregates terminal at Newhaven. I have yet to catch these trains on the move through Newhaven Town. The terminal has had its boundary fences extended and solid walls around the materials bunkers cut down the views as well.

DB Cargo 66121 at Newhaven South Quay 31 1 2022.jpg

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, vulcan product fan said:

66774 on the container services to Tinsley

More likely to Doncaster Iport - I think all the Tinsley containers go via Doncaster, whereas realtimetrains shows a Southampton to Iport service https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H22522/2022-02-01/detailed#allox_id=0 with that loco on that day, passing Chesterfield at about 1300.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

More likely to Doncaster Iport - I think all the Tinsley containers go via Doncaster, whereas realtimetrains shows a Southampton to Iport service https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H22522/2022-02-01/detailed#allox_id=0 with that loco on that day, passing Chesterfield at about 1300.

Yes sorry looking at wrong notes I will correct it thanks .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Heres a good one,Freightliner trying the American distributed power tactic to use two 66,s to pull two thirds of a 59 jumbo train,

Is the 2nd one actually working? I had presumed it would be there for the train splitting when it got to London?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is the 2nd one actually working? I had presumed it would be there for the train splitting when it got to London?

Ive never seen a 66 pull alone 30 stone hoppers and a dead one,they struggle with 20/22 and they both are 665,s not 66,6 versions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

To be honest Tom they might be empty,they normally are heaped up so might just be a test rather than double headed.The American stuff is really clever as there trains are at time three miles long,when the fronts under power climbing the DPU,s are not until they need to be and same braking.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

The objective is to save time when the train splits in Acton yard, no need to run the locos round the train, just separate the last wagon and second loco and away they both go.

I think this is heading to Merehead from Westbury,so coming away from London,it must be empty as it has 30 on and a dead shed.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

The objective is to save time when the train splits in Acton yard, no need to run the locos round the train, just separate the last wagon and second loco and away they both go.

Yes but usually this comes up loaded….

I cannot recall the headcode (I think its 7A03), but this working.. note 4800 tonnes.. Someone told me this is the heaviest working in the UK.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H18455/2022-02-10/detailed

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The point that the lad on you tube is making is its not double headed but runing as a DPU splitting the load and train,it reduces the coupling loads and gives ability to run these longer trains without the 59 which has been pulling the 4800T jumbo trains single handed for 36 years since the Yeoman 59 ones came in 86. They did a run with two 59,s and a third dead on the rear in 91 or 92 pulling two 51wagon loaded consists to get the longest and heaviest train ever run in europe at just under 12000T and a mile in length.

Apparently they have been trialing them all week returning like this.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
iliterate
  • Thanks 1

So... Freightliner running with an engine in the middle. The middle engine is shut down and is effectively an extra wagon. It's to make the shunt easier in Wembley. It must make the shunt at Merehead more complicated though.

There is none of the remote control multi working / DPU / distributed power  that you see in the US here in the UK.

The only way of powering a second loco remotely from the first is to through wire the stock. Some coaching stock is blue star through wired (think yellow test trains, DRS 37+DBSO, Wessex / Fragonset 31s) will allows both locos to power, and the RHTT wagons are through wired for several types of multi working.  You're just effectively making the jumper for putting a pair in multi much longer.

The train in the video is 7C77 Wembley - Merehead, wagons that would have gone up loaded over night. 7A09 is the one that @adb968008 is thinking of, whilst it's not the heaviest train in the country, it's actually one of several Mendip service that are the heaviest trains in the country. There's usually 4 multi portion trains a day Merehead to London, and three from Whatley, all shifting similar tonnages. At Acton (or now other London locations) the trains split with each portion going forward to their destination. Likewise, the empty portions join to form one train back to the quarry.

It's generally a 16-18 hour cycle from leaving loaded to returning empty, so what leaves on A09 at about 7.15, will be back about 02.00 the following morning on 7C23

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I would think they are trialing the two 66 to pull what one 59 has been doing,they split at acton usually anway to distribute so the 66 put half way down can cope with the load behind once they are split,

heres a good comparison watching the 59 on stone and 66 on stone alone,not my content so give him a like.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

So... Freightliner running with an engine in the middle. The middle engine is shut down and is effectively an extra wagon. It's to make the shunt easier in Wembley. It must make the shunt at Merehead more complicated though.

There is none of the remote control multi working / DPU / distributed power  that you see in the US here in the UK.

The only way of powering a second loco remotely from the first is to through wire the stock. Some coaching stock is blue star through wired (think yellow test trains, DRS 37+DBSO, Wessex / Fragonset 31s) will allows both locos to power, and the RHTT wagons are through wired for several types of multi working.  You're just effectively making the jumper for putting a pair in multi much longer.

The train in the video is 7C77 Wembley - Merehead, wagons that would have gone up loaded over night. 7A09 is the one that @adb968008 is thinking of, whilst it's not the heaviest train in the country, it's actually one of several Mendip service that are the heaviest trains in the country. There's usually 4 multi portion trains a day Merehead to London, and three from Whatley, all shifting similar tonnages. At Acton (or now other London locations) the trains split with each portion going forward to their destination. Likewise, the empty portions join to form one train back to the quarry.

It's generally a 16-18 hour cycle from leaving loaded to returning empty, so what leaves on A09 at about 7.15, will be back about 02.00 the following morning on 7C23

Jo

Was hoping you would step in with the facts Jo (the horses mouth so to speak). 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

I think the American DPU ,s are wireless or radio controlled from the lead loco and GPS control,they have changed at some point and that is how they run the two to three mile long trains as what the front loco needs to do is not what the middle and back jobs are needing to do,it would appear it goes wrong at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4C9wUhflOQ

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On 12th February 2022, in very dull and rainy conditions, DB Cargo 66148 ‘Maritime Intermodal Seven’ leads 67020 at the head of UK Railtours ‘The Powerful Pennine Panorama’ rail tour.  DB Cargo 67005 ‘Queen’s Messenger’ was on the rear.  

609867114_66148670201Z79Brighouse120220221-RMweb.jpg.0d582d5c991cc0136c6c6f491604b8b3.jpg

The rail tour started at London Euston with Leeds as its destination.

Edited by 4630
re-upload photo
  • Like 12