Freemo Extravaganza

Martyn is the expert here.

As far as I can see there is no problem with what is in the middle as long as the two ends are Freemo compatible and will mate with other Freemo modules. In that case, as Ray says, it should be possible to use something you already have with a small joining piece. But I stand to be corrected...

Over to you Martyn for the official Freemo party line...

If you're building an adapter then you don't neccesarily need to widen them to match, as an adapter board can adjust both width and track centres - if there's another good reason for changing the width then fine though.

Here's an example of an older modules (Mike Ruby's 11th Avenue) - that was originally an old NMRA 8'x2' 'Domino' module, he's added a 3' adapter which both adds an industry, a passenger storage track, a yard headshunt and changes it from a 3 track interface to a single centred one, and the width drops from 2' to 18" across it.

From the modular joint - the 6" gains on the RH side of this pic.

Broadclyst%201%20g-L.jpg

I'm provisionally in, but can't commit myself yet, because i know how slow i am. I also keep coming up with plans that are far to grandiose to actually build in the time or budget! I'm planning to attend anyway.

I'm provisionally in, but can't commit myself yet, because i know how slow i am. I also keep coming up with plans that are far to grandiose to actually build in the time or budget! I'm planning to attend anyway.

Tim - it would be great to see you again. As long as it has some track and wires, we could even do the scenery as a joint project when the module is at the event!  :paint: :yes:

Worth saying again though that a module doesn't have to be big and impressive - again, Andy's first one is just 2' x 18", a size most folk could cope with I suspect. You'd think such a thing was insignificant, but that particular one adds a great feature for engineers to deal with and 'lengthens' a run nicely

Curves are also something that would be especially useful in terms of fitting a linear railway into a square room!

Tim - it would be great to see you again. As long as it has some track and wires, we could even do the scenery as a joint project when the module is at the event!  :paint: :yes:

Definately, it's not a 'show', so no need for it to look 'finished' - just a board (or boards) with track, legs and basic wiring is plenty good enough to take part.  Nice scenery is a great addition, but don't let it put you off getting involved... 

And you've a whole year to get that far. ;)

I'm really really tempted by this but unfortunately that weekend is one of the 3 I have ring-fenced every year. (last weekend in May, first in July, last in Sept) Essex was designed to be compatible with the Thamesider's modular standards. With an adaptor board either end it would be fairly easy to Freemo-ise most of the layout. Trouble is that would need 28' of frontage. I also have 4 left over modules to the same standard. These were to extend Essex to 31' but in terms of exhibiting its going to be a lot easier to just keep the thing 23' long instead. I'm toying with using them to create something compatible with Seaboard Southern's modules.

This is probably completely daft - but provided that you have the correct depth of board at the end(s) - couldn't a "link" board simply be a single-, or double-, track bridge? It wouldn't then need to match the width of the other modules, and could be G-clamped into position anywhere needed to form a linkspan - if wished the builder could include a dropped section with road, river, canal or railtrack under it.

Not saying it can't be done, but i'm not sure i'd personally want to trust a presumably plastic bridge kit to handle any stresses between neighbouring boards as it;s being set up, I think i'd be nervous of the trains safety in using it also...

It's not as if an adapter needs to be big and impressive in its own right, if you take the example of Mike Ruby's one as pictured above, that's 3' long as it gave him some operational advantages to make it 3' long, he could have probably built a small adapter piece in less than 6 inches if he'd wanted to simply move the alignment and terminate the redundant tracks, bolted securely to the original layout it wouldn't even have needed an extra leg.

I don't see that's much harder than what you propose, I suspect easier than making a bridge that's reliable and strong enough to be used as a baseboard in it's own right?

I would really like to be involved in this, my only concern is that my woodworking skills are not up to much, I would hate to turn up and my board not match up to anyone elses!

I have a few other questions,

• What do most modules use for the 1/8 roadbed, cork etc.
  • Do you have any pictures of examples of the woodwork construction side of the module.
  • On the day of the Freemo event, do we just bring our own stock to run?

Sorry, been partaking of lunch - didn't make myself clear - the bridge would be on a board, but it wouldn't need to be wider than perhaps 6" - 9" to form a linkspan between the two boards. It wouldn't simply be a plastic bridge - see the prototype picture earlier with the F-units and imagine the river itself forming the board surface, with a bridge crossing it, and banks each side against the "End" board with enough space each side of a suitable depth/width to allow clamping with G-clamps

Using adaptor boards seems a good way to go for those who have a existing layout,one question??

What do you/we do if the existing layout use code 100 track??? :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

The spec for the new modules is, use code 83, do you/we make a converter track (like old triang) on the adaptor board to conform with more modern spec modules.

Do you think we need a do/don'ts list,or like Squeaky said,photo's of modules tops and underneath,it maybe off butting to some when they read through the spec sheets,( a picture is better than a thousand words),its better to ask questions now,before you/we commit to anything.

There seems to be enough interest,it's just getting everyone over that first hurdle (probably Chris has his finnished!! :no:  :no: )

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Using adaptor boards seems a good way to go for those who have a existing layout,one question??

What do you/we do if the existing layout use code 100 track??? :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

The spec for the new modules is, use code 83, do you/we make a converter track (like old triang) on the adaptor board to conform with more modern spec modules.

Do you think we need a do/don'ts list,or like Tim said,photo's of modules tops and underneath,it maybe off butting to some when they read through the spec sheets,( a picture is better than a thousand words),its better to ask questions now,before you/we commit to anything.

There seems to be enough interest,it's just getting everyone over that first hurdle (probably Chris has his finnished!! :no:  :no: )

Ray

You need a big file and plenty of spare time to grind the rail down :jester:

What do most modules use for the 1/8 roadbed, cork etc.

When we started we used cork, that has more recently become harder to find, our group now uses balsa, it's fairly cheap, stable, can be carved and sanded easily and so on...

Do you have any pictures of examples of the woodwork construction side of the module.

I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks, i'm happy to do a couple of shots of mine when I get back home if you like. Structurally they can be whatever you want though, you don't have to copy our structure. Beyond providing an end we can clamp to...

I'm happy to do pics of what we've done for any other aspect as well, just ask.

On the day of the Freemo event, do we just bring our own stock to run?

For freightcars when we get the operating scheme sorted (a couple of months before the day) i'll be asking module providers for info on the freightcars they need to bring to run them, as i'll need to add them to the database that runs the switchlists. If anyone is short of specific car types for a module they are building let me know and i'll get suitable cars sourced from somewhere else. The cars will effectively 'pool' in the operating scheme.

Likewise if anyone has a freightcar they especially want to run give me the details and i'll build it into the scheme somehow.

You will need fewer cars than you think though - especially with 30-40 people potentially providing them!

For loco's my suggestion is to bring a loco or loco set for you to run when you are an engineer, and maybe a spare set if you like - i'll want details in advance to make sure we have no ID number conflicts but again I don't need info at this time, and we won't look at that till next Spring - so if you want to do up something especially you also have time for that. ;)

If you want to know what to bring, for the kind of railroad we're running (modern shortline/regional) the power could plausibly be anything from some old Fs, Alcos, through to SD9043Macs and GEVOs, but probably your average power would be a pair of GP38 or SD40-2...we won't be tieing it down to one railroad or even region.

Again, if you don't have anything suitable we will have a few sets there that anyone can borrow to get involved...

What do you/we do if the existing layout use code 100 track?

If you're building an adapter to an existing c100 layout my suggestion would be to put a joint between the two on the adapter, that can then be filed to give a smooth transition?

Well done that man,that may ease some peoples minds.

One last question from me(don't want to hog this thread)i notice in the picture you posted,there a difference in the scenery (colour,type)at the module ends,does this matter or are you/we trying to standardize on a colour,type to get a more uniformed look.

I've got an idea for my modules(i think)but won't be starting till end of July,do we post our updates in this thread or start our own threads.

Think yo've covered most of my doubts,so on with the build!!!(369 DAYS TO GO!!!)

Ray

Re code 100/code 83 transition - Peco do a code 100/code 70 transition (SL113). Surely it would be easier to connect the code 70 part to the code 83 which would mean less filing? In fact, it might be difficult to detect the difference..

Pleased to see much more interest now - well done, guys.

I phoned the venue this morning and left a message to provisionally book for the weekend 5/6 July 2014. As a regular customer now, I don't see any problem - she'll probably call me back later in the week to confirm.

Had we better give the Travelodge and Premier Inn some advance warning? :scratchhead: :dontknow: 

Dare we start thinking about breaking records for largest layout or am I getting carried away here...??

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is the electrics. With both the modular groups I'm involved the modules have to be electrically tested and signed off before being connected into the setup. However, despite supposidly following the wiring spec problems were found when builders went for their owm interpretation with the obvious results.

For next July we will have the advantage that some of the Seaboard, Bearwood & RS Tower modules have been connected and run together already. However for 'new builds' it will be esp important to get the wiring correct first time.of asking to avoid folks spending the Sat under the layout.

As with other aspects of modules if there is any questions on this there a number of us on the forum that can assist to get this straight ahead of the big day

Cheers

Dan

This is still one advantage the RST spec has over the NMRA version, it's much simpler and 'slimmer' electrically, and so much harder for folk to build something that has a fundamental fault versus something where they are having to hard-wire various other busses.

One thought - there's usually an NMRA meet at Weston-on-Trent earlier in the year - it may be possible for midlands-based folk to also give their modules a test run at that? If I get details do folk want me to share?

One last question from me(don't want to hog this thread)i notice in the picture you posted,there a difference in the scenery (colour,type)at the module ends,does this matter or are you/we trying to standardize on a colour,type to get a more uniformed look.

I think there's a balance to strike here - small differences don't jump out. (They look much worse in photo's than they do in real life) I think any scenery from the 'green bits' of the US will probably go together passably well, if anyone models any of the 'beige bits' then that's harder to join to, but i'm reluctant to tell folk they can't do it...

I think there's a balance to strike here - small differences don't jump out. (They look much worse in photo's than they do in real life) I think any scenery from the 'green bits' of the US will probably go together passably well, if anyone models any of the 'beige bits' then that's harder to join to, but i'm reluctant to tell folk they can't do it...

Maybe somebody can volunteer to do a "green" to "beige" transition module!

What about ballast, Martyn? It looks to me like most of your modules use a buff colour, and did I read somewhere that you guys have a preference for Woodland Scenics burnt grass?

might be a idea,to go through the electical spec soon before we all start wiring things up(yours will be done already Chris :O :no: )

may save time on the weekend,more time to play trains

Ray

Ray

I'm in the process of building a couple of modules to the NMRABR spec so I'll endeavour to get take some photos of the build to give a little step by step for the wiring if the rest of you guys would find it useful?

Dan

Dare we start thinking about breaking records for largest layout or am I getting carried away here...??

Easy Tiger :O

OK, I'm up for this too...not been online over the weekend hence not replying to this topic sooner.

One question, which DCC system are we going to use?  For info I'm NCE.

Right then, off to get the thinking cap on....I'm thinking of killing 2 birds in one here ;) !

Colin

Archived