The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ben, much appreciated

I started laying it out properly last night and avery pleased with the diamond - especially as it's on a curve!

I'm also changing the arrangement for the parcels shed - THis involved eliminating the last siding - to the right of the class 40, and replacing a double slip and a point with a 3-way point - it will tidy up once it is inner down, but looks a lot more practical.

Wiring it all up is going to be fun - I now have 46 point motors to be hooked up, and a similar number of sections, as I want to be able to leave a loco dead at one end of each platform so another can come in and pickup the stock to go off in the opposite direction!

Morning Smiffy. Have a look at the DCC Concepts AD-S8xf for the points. Maybe worth a think?  Maybe not yet after what I've been told........we shall have to wait and see.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

So after a very relaxing Sunday lunch with he family yesterday turned into a bit of a washout gardening wise and SWMBO gave me a pass to play for half the day at least.

Result was that I got the East end throat layout finished - this is pinned down by the way.

The deep trenches running across the board are for point rodding - one of the benefits of using double wall corrugated cardboard boxes as underlay is that you can remove one of the wall layers which gives you a channel to run the rodding and wires - once this is done you simply paper over the channels with ordinary photocopy paper and all is lost beneath the ballast

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with he results - this is the view looking from the West end - the usual helicopter was  chartered.

post-10395-0-83437200-1459240078.jpg

As you can see I get 7 platforms out of the layout and there are relief roads between platforms 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 this means that a through train - probably a goods service can trundle through when there is a passenger train in all four of the main platforms

5 & 6 are shorter - they can hold 6 coaches plus loco, and 7 can hold 3+ loco - this is actually designed more as a headhunt for the two parcels roads you can see at the right hand end of the picture

Looking from the East

post-10395-0-88248500-1459240094.jpg

You can see that there are four stabling roads, I need to shorten the left hand pair, I just ran out of time.

There is also a stabling road at the end of Platform 1, so trains will have to snake through the Double slip to take the main line out. Apart from the visual aspect of this, the other reason for doing it is to give those long goods trains that will trundle round the up line a straight run through the station and out onto the main line.

The theory is that there will only be a modest amount of van shunting, plus the car carriers, but very little freight shunting will actually happen - goods trains will tend to be made up and run round without too much fiddling.

• Like 2

Ah hah, the thread of sanity has returned. Good oh. Thought you had jumped ship to another Forum where they can agree about gauges and flanges and stuff like that.

post-7852-0-69442000-1306826332_thumb.jp

Just found this......now there's a challenge!

Ducky.

Crikey!  Only just seen this!!!

What are the caption details for this filth???   :angel:

So after a very relaxing Sunday lunch with he family yesterday turned into a bit of a washout gardening wise and SWMBO gave me a pass to play for half the day at least.

Result was that I got the East end throat layout finished - this is pinned down by the way.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with he results...

Glad the Grantham planning BRM article was useful. I certainly think what you've got now looks far more convincing as a representation of a real place (albeit condensed); what you first laid out looked like a train set.

Good to see progress being maintained.

• Like 1

Thanks Graham, coming from you that is high praise indeed!

Funnily enough I met Mark a couple of years back when he was first kicking the P2 Project around and we were talking about potential marketing opportunities for the project, neither of us ever mentioned 4mm to the foot, I only learned from your piece about his collection 

ATB

Peter

Crikey!  Only just seen this!!!

What are the caption details for this filth???   :angel:

Well it's certainly unusual - my photos of those dodgy diesels generally show them producing more flag than the flying pig that is obviously saving the day!

Edited by bigwordsmith

I really like this layout plan. I am looking at something similar but based on Kings Cross. Not sure whether to do it as a terminus or a through station. I do want to have another station/branchline along the route and also include a TMD. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after much faffing around that's it at last - track is all laid - 

post-10395-0-66994400-1460927738.jpg

This is the 'West End' - much simpler than the East

post-10395-0-05445300-1460927758.jpg

THis is looking Westwards - room for several 10 coach trains

post-10395-0-83891700-1460927791.jpg

THis will be the loco stabling point at the East End - 4 Pacifics lined up and ready for southbound trains 

post-10395-0-91130300-1460927842.jpg

And finally a sight you'd never expect to see - the return Footex from the Wales v Scotland Match next to a Waverley Route stopper

post-10395-0-35131300-1460927979.jpg

Too late for much text - 10.00 Sunday night

Of course nothing is actually wired up so the next heaven knows how many years will see no visible progress as the wires get laid in and hooked up!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

Thanks Peter

Everything has come to a bit of a red signal at the moment due to a combination of gardening and work - I expect I'll get back up there in the colder months, but tight now every spare moment is spent helping the boss out in the garden!

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter

Everything has come to a bit of a red signal at the moment due to a combination of gardening and work - I expect I'll get back up there in the colder months, but tight now every spare moment is spent helping the boss out in the garden!

ATB

Peter

We know that situation P. 

P

IN fairness Phil I don't have to contend with your situation - that said I do appear to have developed a strange bulge in my lower chest when I try to sit up - I apparently also have a hiatus hernia, so doubtless that will require attentional some point in the future.

Hopefully by now you are fully mobile?

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Premium

IN fairness Phil I don't have to contend with your situation - that said I do appear to have developed a strange bulge in my lower chest when I try to sit up - I apparently also have a hiatus hernia, so doubtless that will require attentional some point in the future.

Hopefully by now you are fully mobile?

ATB

Peter

Oh bless matey. get that sorted ASAP. No bulges other than six pack allowed.

8 weeks to go before full mobilty is allowed. Making the most of it at the moment.

P

• RMweb Premium

I showed it to my chiro who said it was probably a weak muscle in my abdomen - given the size of said abdomen anything is possible!

get well soon Phil an enjoy the leisure opportunities while you can!

According to your Chiro's thinking I should just be one huge bulge.

P

Hi Sub

the tunnel mouths are about 18" out from the side wall, and the station layout runs for 18' from the start of the West end throat to the last cross over at the East. It's a big beast, hence the 10-coach trains, but TBH I keep looking at it and thinking it's boring!

Any ideas would be welcome

ATB

Peter

• 6 months later...

OK. Apologies for the silence - I've been very busy with work organising the South's first major motorcycle show which takes place at Goodwood on the 11th June.

I have had the odd chance to sneak in a few minutes railway time over the winter, but not much to show. TBH i've been simplifying the track layout mostly as when I returned to the loft I hadn't a clue which switches did what and half of them didn't seem to do what I wanted anyway!

post-10395-0-37805700-1487591088_thumb.jpg

Most of the focus has been on the Riccarton end - not that it looks much like its namesake now - I've lost the 'Up' Loop, turned the Up siding into a headhunt for local rains and added a long platform 4 road on the down line, plus a facing X-over to allow trains to access this from the Up road.

This has freed up about 6 point motors, which is handy as I need that many at the Eastern end of the fiddle yard/ storage sidings which offers four roads on each side- assuming one through in case I want to play tail chasers, this gives me three storage loops in each direction. 

post-10395-0-39010900-1487591056_thumb.jpg

The new layout still allows me to have up to 20 trains on the line at any one time, even if most of them wink be sitting in platforms or storage sidings, but of course re-designing the track layout means a lot of work for the S&T department.

Fortunately I had the sense to colour the power cables going down to the far end with coloured insulation tape so I can identify each end of a long line with relative ease. There is an awful lot of spaghetti though.

post-10395-0-37805700-1487591088_thumb.jpg

I have now got power to the East End of the storage loops so I can run a train out onto/ back off the main lines with minimal intrusion from the hand of the Almighty.

I will admit that a certain amount of watching the trains go by has been happening, including the Footex that arrived from Plymouth without having managed to find a 'local' engine to take it forward from either New Street or Carlisle - hence the sight of a 'Western' with brown and cream coaches on the Waverley Route. I also had some fun with DMUs running in multiple, as well as some chunky goods trains which I've already pictured previously 

post-10395-0-33415600-1487591049_thumb.jpg

Ah well - if in doubt, Rule 1 applies!

Now back to work

post-10395-0-02809800-1487591063_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-66076000-1487591081_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-47842600-1487591095_thumb.jpg

• Like 5