The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

Thanks David - how' yours going - I can't find the link..

Hi Peter

Haymarket 64B is going really well but very very slowly at the present time, my thread is now relegated to Page No 18 in the Layout Topics Section as the last post was dated 19th December 2016.

There have been quite a few family issues over the past six months I will not bore you with the details apart from a second Granddaughter arriving last year which has kept us all busy and added to my delay in progressing the layout.

Also I am about to completely redecorate the room housing my layout, so I need to move it all first.

Norman Saunders of Just Tracks is producing my next batch of hand made points using C & L Finescale track work, once the room is redecorated I will commence track laying which I am really looking forward to starting.

Now you are back on the scene I am also looking forward to seeing more photos showing your progress as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David

Congratulations - my first is due any time now. Unfortunately a girl, so I doubt we'll be spending happy days doing the grandpa thing in the loft!

Unfortunately - or may be fortunately - BikeFest South is keeping me so busy loft time is a rare occurrence at the moment, but I will try to keep up an occasional commentary!

ATB

Peter

Hi David

Congratulations - my first is due any time now. Unfortunately a girl, so I doubt we'll be spending happy days doing the grandpa thing in the loft!

Unfortunately - or may be fortunately - BikeFest South is keeping me so busy loft time is a rare occurrence at the moment, but I will try to keep up an occasional commentary!

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you, don't bet on it, my eldest Granddaughter is just over Four years old and she has her own Brio train set from "The Early Learning Centre" and she is always asking to see Grandads trains when she visits, this is not my influence in any way either.

And Congratulations to you as well on your expected arrival.

Regards

David

Hi Peter

Thank you, don't bet on it, my eldest Granddaughter is just over Four years old and she has her own Brio train set from "The Early Learning Centre" and she is always asking to see Grandads trains when she visits, this is not my influence in any way either.

And Congratulations to you as well on your expected arrival.

Regards

David

Same here; When my children stopped playing with the brio, I put it away in the hope of grandchildren. I would say that Eliza has been playing with it since before she could walk, she'll be four in May but every time she visits she wants the trainset out. The other Grandparents heard about her asking for the trainset when she visited so thought it a good idea to get her one of her own for Christmas :cry: .............. She still visits though and still wants to play trains with Grandad Ian :locomotive: !

Edited by Ian_H

Same here; When my children stopped playing with the brio, I put it away in the hope of grandchildren. I would say that Eliza has been playing with it since before she could walk, she'll be four in May but every time she visits she wants the trainset out. The other Grandparents heard about her asking for the trainset when she visited so thought it a good idea to get her one of her own for Christmas :cry: .............. She still visits though and still wants to play trains with Grandad Ian :locomotive: !

Thanks Ian, that's good to know - little Isla was born today at 3.15 weighing 7lb 3 oz - "Wednesday's child is loving and giving" they say, so I hope she's loving the trains and they will be giving her much pleasure!

We've had some interesting discussions on grandparental names - to me 'grandad' will always remind me of that awful song by Clive Dunn, so I've decided I'm either going to be 'Granda' as in the Gaelic tradition, or 'Pops' which I actually quite like!

Congratulations Peter, I hope all is well with mother and granddaughter! So, down to The Early Learning Centre first thing tomorrow morning and buy that Brio, they even do battery operated trains now. Have fun.

best regards

Ian

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So apologies to everyone for the long silence, with running a bike show, doing stuff around the house, caravanning, and the little matter of earning a living, I've been rather busy this summer.

That's not to say nothing has been going on. There has in fact been a huge amount of thinking, a great deal of considering, and even the odd visit to the loft to do a little bit of working.

In fact most of what I have done has involved tearing things up to simplify the layout,

This started at the Riccarton end. Originally I had three lines , one of which was reversible, plus a goods yard and engine shed on opposite sides of the main lines, and two bay platforms

This had now been simplified a lot, and is much tidier

post-10395-0-25267700-1506011010_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-76995000-1506011043_thumb.jpg

I've actually removed four points from the configuration but it still looks busy. One downside of the should whole railway being on a gentle gradient is that you can't uncouple stock to run around- need to find a way round that!

Within the main station we did have three lines in each of the through platform sections, but I've removed the passing loop from the North side, This allows a wider platform, which will be more fitting for a large junction station

post-10395-0-73021800-1506011260_thumb.jpg

At the West end simplification has been radical as the pics show

By using the new configuration all through lines can be reversible - as per the original Waverley prototype!

Thus has been achieved by using the double slip on the removable bridge and the trailing crossing just beyond

post-10395-0-61429100-1506010714_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-07646500-1506010730_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-01942300-1506010754_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

So apologies to everyone for the long silence, with running a bike show, doing stuff around the house, caravanning, and the little matter of earning a living, I've been rather busy this summer.

That's not to say nothing has been going on. There has in fact been a huge amount of thinking, a great deal of considering, and even the odd visit to the loft to do a little bit of working.

In fact most of what I have done has involved tearing things up to simplify the layout,

This started at the Riccarton end. Originally I had three lines , one of which was reversible, plus a goods yard and engine shed on opposite sides of the main lines, and two bay platforms

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've actually removed four points from the configuration but it still looks busy. One downside of the should whole railway being on a gentle gradient is that you can't uncouple stock to run around- need to find a way round that!

Within the main station we did have three lines in each of the through platform sections, but I've removed the passing loop from the North side, This allows a wider platform, which will be more fitting for a large junction station

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

By using the new configuration all through lines can be reversible - as per the original Waverley prototype!

Thus has been achieved by using the double slip on the removable bridge and the trailing crossing just beyond

attachicon.gifIMG_0817.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0818.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0820.JPG

Good oh Smiffy. getting going in the run up to winter is just the right thing to do. Trackwork is looking good too.

Philthy

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0817.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0818.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0820.JPG

Hi Peter

I have just caught up with your thread again and very nice to see some new photos, your layout is coming on a real treat, look forward to seeing more photos as you progress.

Also sorry it's late but a big congratulations on the arrival of your new Granddaughter you must be very proud indeed.

Regards

David

Excellentent tip Mick - £1.42 for the main board- Many thanks

Peter

You have to click repeatedly out of the input boxes to sort of shake the site up a bit as it does not seem to up date very well.

For white cast acrylic 3mm thick, 3' (900mm) x 18'' (450) it was £15.23 + postage, as I tried it, which IMO sounds about the right price.

The company is in Worthing West Sussex, maybe near enough to pay a personal visit.

You may also be able to source such items from any local sign writers establishment.  It's the sort of thing they use for shop signs and the like.

Edited by Donington Road

So with thanks to Mike, I visited the plastic cutters on Monday and he kindly ran me off 2 pieces of 3mm acrylic 800 x300  which will form the new control panel.

I decided that the use of H&M boxes to contain the switchgear wasn't practical as I had to keep bending down to set up routes, and I also missed having a visual board that I can plot the passage of trains on.

Just been to the timber yard for some 18 x 44, today's equivalent of 2x1, to make the frame, which is today's challenge!

post-10395-0-20436700-1507892858_thumb.jpg

Having done some more track laying I decided to test the new track, which meant moving the 14 bolster goods train into the station relief line, which in turn called for me to release another Up fast onto the line.

In this case it is 8 bogies, Bachmann Mk 1s, and while the Hornby A3 is a lovely looking loco, it really lacks the oomph to lift the train up the ruling 1:60 that prevails around the line.

So, after watching it come to a standstill on two occasions I had a brainwave, as you can see from the video...

And again bursting out of the tunnel - this is on a 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk-tHE6MUXI

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2

So with thanks to Mike, I visited the plastic cutters on Monday and he kindly ran me off 2 pieces of 3mm acrylic 800 x300  which will form the new control panel.

Might be telling you how to suck eggs but this video will show you how to drill thin acrylic without cracking it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-drill-through-acrylic-plexiglass-the-right-/

Edited by Donington Road