The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

Go for it Smiffy. All the very best with the Hostipple stuff. Spring is a better time to push the sale of the house. Winter is carp for selling, better for a decent Brandy or Malt and plenty of mince things.

Phil

Echoing Phil's thoughts here, Peter.

All the best for tomorrow.

Dave

Thanks guys - it’s basically sitting in a chair for half an hour hooked up to a drip- done it three or four times in the past. Biggest worry is the hunger that comes from being on high dose steroids- after losing 1.5 stone, I’m reluctant to put it back on

Strict diet for next three months!

• RMweb Gold

Re your return loop for the locomotives going off and on shed, would it be better to use a cassette system instead? It would mean that A) they wouldn't have to come back on shed in the same order that they left and therefore B) you wouldn't have to actually fiddle i.e. remove and replace on the track, thereby minimising handling of the model.

Just a thought

Edited by scottystitch

Hmmmmm

Interesting thought about returning in the same order- I hadn’t thought about that, but given the length and that it can hold around 30 lockdown is probably not noticebtte return order

Ref Stu’s point (don’t forget I owe you for some materials) I suspect that might be ‘virtual!’

• 11 months later...

So, as I've been off the radar for some time I though an update would be in order!

As you all know, Waverley East is no more- The move in March meant it had to be dismantled and it is all now a collection of memories and boxes.

​The boxes are still in store - while the location of the new property is stunning, as you can see from this shot of the view from the rear of the house, we've been up to our ochters in building work, pretty much since we moved in!

post-10395-0-41447900-1541347747_thumb.jpg

Mindful of the potential exacerbation of congestion in the respiratory tract, SWMBO made the decision that we couldn't stay in the house while the construction work was ongoing. This  saw us spending 13 weeks in our caravan in places as far ranging as South Devon ( yes it did include a visit to Seaton Junction ) and Cromer, with the Isle of Wight, Beaconsfield and a campsite ten minutes from home thrown into the mix.

SO we're approaching the last quarter of the works - decorators are now making a start, the kitchen is in but far from finished, and work has started on the garage. 

Those of you who followed this thread from the beginning will know that to me there is a simple formula that defines the size of any new garage, This is that it must provide a decent loft room above, that allows for two train lengths down the sides, and a minimum 5' radius turn at each end.

I think we might just get the latter on the outside loop of whatever ends up there, and with 7 metres side length I should just about get some decent running in for 7-8 bogies.

That said, I recall realising after the track work for Waverley East was finished, that a mammoth main line is bit much for OMO, so 'Son of Waverley East' is going to be a bit different.

Mind you, I had to visit Stirling this week which due to a broken rail at Perth gave me an opportunity to wander around this rather fine 10 platform station. It did also set me thinking...

Leafing through  the Interweb reveals a dearth of steam era pics, but I'm fairly sure that most MTs would have visited it at some point, and who knows there may even be precedent for one or two experimental diesels sent to try their might on the Inverness stretch...

I will of course keep you all posted, as and when some progress happens. in the meantime all suggestions will be treated with sense and gratitude.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd move this over here!  If you search on the National Library of Scotland website you will find Ordnance Survey maps covering the whole of Scotland.  Some of them will be large enough to enable you to view the track layouts of individual stations.  You should be able to get an idea of how interesting or otherwise they might be and of how much space they might consume.  As regards, A1s, all of Haymarket's allocation were gone by the end of 1963.  The only exception was 60152 which went to St Margarets in September 1963 and was transferred to York in September 1964.  Hope this is of some use.

Many thanks

You have an excellent knowledge of the line, which is what I was seeking.

I may well end up travelling through time with the stock, which I’ve done before, as the scenery changes little between 1955 and 1965. I have a huge selection of coaches in various liveries fomcrimson cream to blue and grey, as well as early crest steam through to late green era diesels.

I’m looking at Arbroath as a possible station option and will soon pop a proposed plan on here

All advice and ideas welcome

• RMweb Premium

Just been reading the Peterborough North thread and saw that you were looking for Aberdeen info.

I am not sure if you have come acrossbthe Shedbash site.

This link is straight to the Ferryhill logs:   http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2016_03_23_archive.html

Interesting reading. I have managed to lose many hours n tis site.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

Many thanks

You have an excellent knowledge of the line, which is what I was seeking.

I may well end up travelling through time with the stock, which I’ve done before, as the scenery changes little between 1955 and 1965. I have a huge selection of coaches in various liveries fomcrimson cream to blue and grey, as well as early crest steam through to late green era diesels.

I’m looking at Arbroath as a possible station option and will soon pop a proposed plan on here

All advice and ideas welcome

Hi Peter = if you are considering Arbroath, then Aberbrothock is your man - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82459-arbroath-station/page-1

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news from the medics - my lungs have taken a bit of a tumble and I'm down to around half of my expected opacity now - even worse what I've got isn't working that well, so I'm a tad out of steam when trying to go light engine up a small incline.

Anyway no doubt there will be many steroids to come. Many, Many steroids, and I'll become god friends again with the NHS - deep joy!

But to brighter things!  

Mindful that my likelihood of ever accommodating the mountains of trains I bought for Waverley East, and that I hate goods trains anyway, I've been toying with the idea of turning the whole thing into a railway that will run entirely under Rule 1, but be modelled on a successful preservation line.

As a lifelong ember of the Bluebell, I've been watching the developments in the sheds and 'Undercover' projects developing for a long time, and realised the the original shed layout could indeed stand in as a modest eco depot that is home to a very successful, non-denominational and diverse preservation society!  

Throw in a decent station, and a branch over t'other side, and you could even add in a depot for the nearby bus preservation group.

Sod historical accuracy, this could give me the excuse to follow Rule 1 in every resect. - It could even just one or two 'locos that should never have been scrapped' projects. After all there's even a Baby Deltic being built out of a chopped down EE type 3!

I'd have to get rid of an awful lot of A1s A2s, A3s and even a couple of A4s. but I could run short trains  and all kinds of odd job stock!

Maybe a visit to the Severn valley would also be in order!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been reading the Peterborough North thread and saw that you were looking for Aberdeen info.

I am not sure if you have come acrossbthe Shedbash site.

This link is straight to the Ferryhill logs:   http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2016_03_23_archive.html

Interesting reading. I have managed to lose many hours n tis site.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for this link - great resource ( for Truro, in my case).

First thoughts on the new layout...

Having had the chance to see the new railway room with its plasterboard all tacked out, I'm excited at the prospect once again and have given some thought to a possible layout.

I've named it Craigellachie, after a particularly pleasant Speyside village which lost its station many, many years ago, and it is an entirely imaginary scenario.

In my world ( rule 1 applies liberally!)  the good folks of Speyside decided that of BR wasn't going to run a railway for them, then they would. Various logos and stock were acquired and in the true spirit of preservation they did their utmost to get a connection to the 'Big Railway', which they eventually managed to achieve.

The station grew, all built in proper Speyside railway tradition with lots of stone buildings and slate roofs.

IN the mid 1970's Wm Grant and Sons, made over a redundant distillery a couple of miles down the track  to the Society . This has now become the hub of the railways engineering activities, and boasts an exceptional eclectic collection of steam, diesels and just about anything they can get to visit to hang a special weekend programme around.

Part of the old distillery has been converted to provide a home for the Scottish Bus Preservation Society, so that will give me somewhere to park my extensive collection of period omnibuses!

As you might guess there are a few echoes of the Bluebell int his thread - if you look what that society has achieved at Sheffield Park and Hasted Keynes, why shouldn't;t a similarly minded group in Scotland be seen to have done the same.

Following Gilbert's (Peterborough North) sage advice about hidden fiddle yards, I've taken a leaf from the Mighty Duck of this parish and designed it to lied under a removable scenery platform, just in case...

All ideas and thoughts appreciated

post-10395-0-92450300-1548516233_thumb.png

Could any of you helpful folks remind me how to rename this thread? I can't find an option!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

"Could any of you helpful folks remind me how to rename this thread? I can't find an option!"

Go to your first post and click edit. This latest plan looks interesting - I'll be following it - the scenery round that part of the world is rather attractive.

• Like 1

So that's it then - many thanks to Ben Alder for the hint - now that it's got a new name the thread gets sort of real (again!)

The more I think about the idea of preservation, albeit with a healthy dose of Rule 1, the more I realise I am really going to have to cull the collection. I went up to the store last week to look for some bits and was a bit surprised to find just how many boxes of stock are lurking there!

Looking my spreadsheet of stock owned I realise that there are boxes and boxes of coaches and trucks, not to mention over 190 locos that really are surplus to requirement, so I don't know whether to bite the bullet and see if I could get a stand at one of the local model fairs, or just keep up a continual flow of stuff on Ebay.

If anyone is in the market fora load of Hornby/ Bachman 57' Ex LNER and BR suburbans and Mk1s let me know. I've also got a load of old Bachy Thomson's that could make up about three rakes, so some of those will be on the market.

I've also got to cull some of the many ex-LNER pacific. I'm happy to play Rule 1 in terms of having A1, A2, A3 and A4 classes lurking around, but certainly don't need 22 different Pacifics!

So that's a summer project. For the moment I'm focusing on getting better after this bliddy cold that has still felled my poor SWMBO!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Love the new idea Smiffy. Maybe drop T Wright a PM and ask if he knows of anyone that is looking for LNER/ER stuff. You may be better off doing the fleasbay thing despite the faff, as then it reaches a wider market where some poor soul may be contemplating, or have already made the wrong decision, to model the ER:o

Thanks Phil - I always feel a bit over-awed in the company of Mr. W - he makes his coacheds out of bits of brass and solder - as indeed do you - and  I feel that asking him to consider  some RTR stuff is probably bit like asking priest to dip his hands in engine oil!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Thanks Phil - I always feel a bit over-awed in the company of Mr. W - he makes his coacheds out of bits of brass and solder - as indeed do you - and  I feel that asking him to consider  some RTR stuff is probably bit like asking priest to dip his hands in engine oil!

Yes he is a little upset by the RTR only brigade, however he may know of others that may like some stuff and that is what I meant.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the slow response - catching up with the works has been very time consuming.

I also just got sidetracked by a friend's father\s recent passing which has resulted in him having 200 odd locos to dispose off!

In case anyone's interested, I've attached a few pics of what he has been sorting out - I'm over there next week trying to match up locos with tenders and boxes!

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Friendly/supportive 1