The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I know. However it is all about levels and ends. Once that is sorted I can get on with things. I have to get these initial things absolutely correct otherwise there will be continuing problems. I know that's a feeble excuse but my space to view in the loft is so restricted I have to get it right and No 1 son is still not available (spoke to him last evening).

SWMBO also has 'going away visiting' plans as well and I, sadly, have to go as well.  :threaten:

P

Ah Phil - as you rightly say it's all about perspective!

As SWMBO is unhappy that the loft is not capable of being used for storing 'things' (?!) I made the excuse that I needed to finish the construction so that we could put 'things' under  the baseboards without risk of sawdust, ballast etc. falling thereupon.

As a result of that and coming home on Sunday rather than Monday, due to bad weather I got a whole afternoon in yesterday and am now within sight of being 9/10 of the way around the room. 

of course this brings its own challenges, not least in the huge amount of moving of 'stuff' from one location to another to facilitate construction work. It was while moving sheets of 9mm plywood I realised that I have far too much of the stuff so will shortly be putting some up for sale on Ebay.

Pics will follow - I have a works do this evening which means I won't be home until ungodly o'clock so as SWMBO is visiting Mother-in-law tomorrow a flurry's chippy-ing is planned!

SERIOUS MILESTONE COMPLETED!

We now have a continuous run of framing through the whole room culminating in this section which will join the main lines to the rest of the railway

post-10395-0-11729900-1443209514_thumb.jpg

IT's not finished yet as I need to build the low-level lines and looking at the curves I may have to lose the second station, but WTH 

post-10395-0-77508700-1443209556_thumb.jpg

As you can see from this lot ( pardon the mess) we are moving forward at a fast pace!

post-10395-0-53348700-1443209567_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-79508500-1443209575_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-77229600-1443209593_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-82055200-1443209606_thumb.jpg

Whoo Hoo!

• Like 7

Indeed - it looks much better in real light

MY plan is to not rip up - this is supposed to be my retirement project - not that I'm planning to anytime in the next decade, but as I work part time now it gives me plenty of opportunity

Thanks for the kind comments

Peter

• Like 1

So, much carpentry has been achieved while clients have been quiet and SWMBO has been off shed.

We now have a complete set of framing and deck boards cut to chase for the whole room, bar the scenic loop, which has led me to a redesign ( again!)

This is a temporary layout of the East End of the station - a much simplified run compared to the original, but TBH that would just be too much of a night mare to control.

post-10395-0-42367500-1444395002_thumb.jpg

I've also decided to replay the line to add in Riccarton on the main line - there just won't be enough room for the track on the loop to curve back on itself and get in the station so I may end up doing this instead - it's all being made up a bit as we go, so no doubt it will evolve further!

post-10395-0-90640000-1444395984_thumb.png

• Like 3

Don't you hate it when it all goes t1ts up?

After playing around on paper with lots of really good ideas about using the high level baseboard to put Riccarton on the main line, largely because I had built a two foot baseboard around that end of the room, when it came to laying it out, it all just didn't quite look right.

This is looking from the viaduct end, and shows the loop tracks heading off to the left to go down and under the main station on the other side:

post-10395-0-01686400-1444904381_thumb.jpg

...and this is from the other end:

post-10395-0-82328200-1444904392_thumb.jpg

as you can see it wasn't going to be pretty, it also did away with the storage sidings, and as I looked at the pics I also realised that the whole purpose of the concealed track, which was to act as a very long fiddle yard, was being traduced.

Under this arrangement there was no way a train could go from Waverley to Riccarton without having to sit in the tunnel, and was denied a decent run, especially when going the other way.

So while Pepper sat there inspecting the works to make sure she wouldn't be disturbed by trains falling off if she decided to snuggle down for a snooze, I decided to get the saw out and cut the 2' boards back to 1' boards and go back to plan 365a/subsection 9, or whichever version that was and redo Riccarton on the loop line.

post-10395-0-57215800-1444904411_thumb.jpg

Anyway, destruction/modification is all done now, and I'm going to start on the baseboards for the loop line, or at least I would if the client community hadn't just woken up, and asked me for meetings.

Heigh Ho, better to be busy than poor!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Pepper's thinking, I wonder if Smiffy realises I just stuck my nose in his coffee and now there is a small doggy bogie floating at the edge?

Fear not dear Smiffy, at least you have track on board, even if it isn't quite right yet..................

P. Waygang.

A quick post of encouragement. I'm living vicariously through this (and other RMweb projects) while my stock lies dusting in boxes.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Steve.

A quick post of encouragement. I'm living vicariously through this (and other RMweb projects) while my stock lies dusting in boxes.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Steve.

So, a rather large shout of Wooo Hooo! is appropriate  today as all the baseboard fitting and cutting is now officially finished...

This is the ceremonial 'last pike' of the framework which was pulled together just before lunch...

post-10395-0-30715400-1445100370_thumb.jpg

And this shows al the new framework that replaced that which I had to take down last week...

post-10395-0-42096800-1445100420_thumb.jpg

Then after a trip up to Brewers to collect some paint for SWMBO who was busily re-emulsioning the hall with a new colour, which is wonderful because she is happy to decorate which leaves me ... well you can see what it leaves me to do!

So after much jig sawing the tops too are now all cut and fitted...

post-10395-0-57577100-1445100546_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-60101800-1445100406_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-32499400-1445100493_thumb.jpg

Leaving me with literally the last screw...

post-10395-0-88143000-1445100622_thumb.jpg

So, tomorrow SWBO wants  to get the second coat on, so wit luck I'll have a lovely day attaching the boards to the frames with this little lot - 

post-10395-0-36602900-1445100667_thumb.jpg

I made a start just before drawing stumps 

post-10395-0-06408100-1445100694_thumb.jpg

Off out tonight for dinner with best friends SWMBO has volunteered to drive so it may be a late start in the morning!

• Like 1

Reasonably calm day today mostly helping the boss reinstate the house after her attack of Farrow&Ball-itis, which can only be cured by liberal application of estate emulsion

Screwed down the new baseboards for Riccarton, laid cardboard on them, cut to size and laid out the plan for Riccarton Junction Station -  It is of course heavily adapted to suit the model, not least to allow trains to leave Waverley and terminate, even though it is actually a mirror image of the real thing.

But since that has ben long gone for over 40 years, who's to tell?

This one shows the Up arrival layout, which is away from Waverley

post-10395-0-41198300-1445179787_thumb.jpg

This is the layout of the station - I've added an extra bay to the real layout, and put a couple of goods roads to the top of the pic

post-10395-0-97201700-1445179795_thumb.jpg

This is the 'South' Side of the station 

post-10395-0-58618800-1445179806_thumb.jpg

This is the 'Down' approach

post-10395-0-23673800-1445179820_thumb.jpg

Heigh ho, off to cut the grass now!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 4

I  love it when SWMBO asks me if I think the colour in one of the rooms needs changing, because it means two things are going to happen:

1) I'm going to get to make lots of trips to our local decorators' merchants - which means lots of outings on The Beast and

2) Permission will be given for much time to be spent at Waverley East, in return for frequent cups of tea, some sandwich making,  and occasional helpful comments about the colour being applied. I also get to walk Pepper, but I can't complain - last night we had a lovely bit of roast pork which SWMBO turned out after a whole week of decorating!

I truly live a charmed life!

So while she has been busy trying out fifty shades of beige, I have made much progress in laying track for Riccarton Junction as you can see from this rather poorly lit pic which was last night's stopping point.

post-10395-0-01420400-1445863903_thumb.jpg

All the points have been fitted with point motors - a mix of Peco and Hammant & Morgan, the latter all along the front edge of the board and still awaiting wiring. For the sake of smooth operation, all points are also fitted with polarity change feeds for the electrofrogs.

post-10395-0-35489900-1445864552_thumb.jpg

This one's not much clearer, but gives an overall view from which you can see that all three platforms will hold nine bogies plus loco

post-10395-0-57740300-1445863931_thumb.jpg

I wanted to be able to achieve this iconic view,,,

post-10395-0-05796200-1445864145.png

which was shot in the diesel area, but from which you can still clearly see how the bay for the Hexham branch effectively ran up the middle of the platform

Now I don't have a Hexham Branch, so I have given it a twist by making the bay a through road, and effectively an enormously long facing crossover. This allows trains to come from "the South" - which in reality will be departing the West End of Waverley East, then stop, detach engine, which can run around the train, and return to the station. As I can do it in the opposite direction, I can now run terminating trains in both directions on the layout.

Riccarton had its own shed, which I'm planning to replicate with a stone building, although I don't have room for the turntable, but I'm also setting up goods sidings and cattle dock to feed from both ends. 

This is a station designed for shunting movements so I'm going to give it its own control panel with an option to switch the main lines to just run through and be controlled from therein panel at Waverley East when i'm doing OMO

In case the above is clear as mud, here's the revised track plan!

post-10395-0-32335400-1445864875_thumb.png

post-10395-0-77530500-1445864430_thumb.png

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yo Smiffy. A SWMBO that decorates eh..........that's cunning! I do the painting every so often when I think herself has rumbled the number of packages arriving. I've also started to do some cooking as she is encouraged to spend hours out walking and cycling and all sorts of other stuff with U3A (Gardening Regiment); days out to interesting garden Centres and similar activity. This cooking lark seems to guarantee some gold stars and no mumbling when I disappear upstairs..........

Now that layout is really getting sorted; I'm partially inspired, well fully inspired but partially enthused would be a better description as I get too knackered doing too much thinking at one time. 

I am, however, a little worried about this bit of track laying; it isn't quite level mate...................................................

post-10395-0-35489900-1445864552_thumb.j

Anyway, enjoy your loft time this evening. I think I'll just sort out my LM coach rakes.

Duck.

Edited by Mallard60022