The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

• 2 weeks later...

As those of you who follow Gilbert's excellent thread on Peterborough North will know, I've finally completed track laying and electrics on the "up main" through Riccarton Junction.

It wasn't plain sailing - we had nearly a whole day trying to track down a short circuit, caused by wrong coloured wiring, but once that was sorted the time came to try it out.

First up was the Brush Type 4 that recently rolled in courtesy of the much respected Duck of this parish, then we started running trains, only to find a mass of derailments over a particular point. It was this one second on the left  post-10395-0-64049400-1447187692_thumb.jpg 

Thanks to some excellent input and advice from several members of Gilbert's thread, we worked out that it was due to couplings tensioning up and not allowing free movement of bogies,

So I pulled out a set of Hornby Mk1s that I bought last year when Rails were shoving them out fir £15.00 each and they ran round like a dream - it did take some careful driving through the station though!

post-10395-0-87793800-1447187879_thumb.jpg

After 'Cock o' the North' had successfully hauled nine bogies I was tempted to give it a try on 12 - which he ( she?) started with no slip!

post-10395-0-81288300-1447187976_thumb.jpg

Then it was time to play trains so the next loco up was one of the Bachmann A 2s - Great Eastern...

post-10395-0-47736800-1447188038_thumb.jpg

Followed by a Hornby A3 - Sandwich

post-10395-0-51863200-1447188065_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased to report the al of them successfully lifted the 12 bogie consist from a standing start on a 1:110 which is the steepest gradient on the line.

Now comes the hard work...

post-10395-0-38701400-1447188350_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 14

Hi Peter

When you first announced your new layout I thought it may be a bit ambitious looking at the overall size and content.

But how wrong I was it looks a real treat and progressing very fast now as well, the main shed area looks great.

Wish I could say the same about Haymarket, still trying to sort out a temporary area for the base boards so I keep working on the main buildings and structures at the present time..

Please keep the photos coming.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Thanks David - that is praise indeed coming from you and I am most honoured.

As I keep telling SWMBO I've been cracking through the easy bits - carpentry and such like, but things will really slow down with track laying. I worked out last week that it took me nearly half an hour just to lay a point, by the time I'd cut the baseboard, fitted the motor/ polarity switch and then run the tails that will eventually fit into the wiring loom.

My next stage should be to start building the control panel, but it probably will be wiring up the Down main! Then I'll goof around running long rakes in both directions until I get bored and get back to some construction.

In fairness it has taken me thirty+ years to get to the point of having a decent space for a good layout since my last one, but this one as you noted at the outset is a lot more ambitious.

I must say I never before had to actually drive the trains carefully, because 7/8 coaches was the longest we could accommodate at Abbottsmead, but as I've been finding 9 - 12 bogies really does need some TLC, and gives you an insight into the balance required from a real engine driver.

I've also got much more gradient here - the whole railway, apart from the main station which is currently covered in gash timber, is on a ruling gradient of 1: 100 to 1: 130

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This 'testing' offers 'joys to come' on a certain SR layout....................or maybe not?

Today I tested one coach through a hand built, wooden sleeper(wood) with C & L parts (but I had made all the relevant rail bits including V) B7 RH C75 (trailing) on a straight bit with Peco C75 Wooden (plastic) Sleeper track! It did not fall off!  I wasn't going to use it anywhere critical but now I think it will get a life at last as this is a 'sprung catch to refuge siding' and never needs to be used for access to the siding. 

Your testing has inspired me to a degree but it is a daunting prospect isn't it? Laying all that track, having to wire it and then test running and then get it 'attached' (stuck down) + the ballast battle. Then follows the proper testing I suppose? Oh joy.

Philth

• Like 2

Thanks Phil

I must be honest there is a great big warm feeling one gets when watching a train go hacking around the circuit - which I know you have experienced and doubtless will do again soon

BTW it was fittingthat the first train to actually do the circuit should be made up of your former 47 and Dave Shakespeare's former stock - a tribute to the warmth and friendship of the good folks who make up RMWeb in helping people enjoy their hobby even more

Now I'm off for a wee celebratory dram!

• Like 1

So SWMBO was off shed again today doing the return trip to Chichester, and after doing a bit of work in the morning i decided that I should get on with construction of the control panel.

At least that was the plan.

However, possibly sensing rain, Pepper refused to go out for a walk, but actually I think she was suspicious that she may get put in the car and have to put up with a diversion to Morris Models, so I decided to let her peruse the latest developments.

She was most impressed by the passing A 3 with 9-up.

post-10395-0-26240500-1447365443_thumb.jpg

Taking it gently through the S bend at Riccarton eliminated the couplings snagging, although I tried some alternative sets later in the day using a mix of Bachmann and Hornby coaches which worked a lot better.

SO having impressed the mutt, I then couldn't resist wiring up the inner loop ( Down main)  and after finding just one short circuit,  looked around for a suitable Pacific and found an excellent Hornby Britannia to do the honours - 9-up again and a mixed rake.

post-10395-0-02512300-1447365610_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the two trains crossing - I must say it really is impressive seeing two nine-coachers with a Pacific at the head of each cracking round the whole room.

post-10395-0-48023200-1447365563_thumb.jpg

I have found  couple of points where the 'six foot' isn't quite as wide as it should be - mostly on tight curves, so a spot of track easing is on the horizon

Finally I decided to try and have a crack at a diverted 'Queen of The Scots', but despite searching through all the obvious boxes of stored stock, couldn't find a Deltic!

My DP2 does;t have any couplings as Heljan supplied it all tarted up, and the only decent loco I could lay hands on was an unnamed Peak.I did initially try with a Bachman A4, but it struggled to lift 7 Pullmans up the hill, so some extra weight is on the horizon for Bittern!

I know this pic is wrong on so many counts, but a 10-coach pullman, please ignore the roofs and blame Hornby, really does look like the canine's gonads!

post-10395-0-72715600-1447365804_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

So SWMBO was off shed again today doing the return trip to Chichester, and after doing a bit of work in the morning i decided that I should get on with construction of the control panel.

At least that was the plan.

However, possibly sensing rain, Pepper refused to go out for a walk, but actually I think she was suspicious that she may get put in the car and have to put up with a diversion to Morris Models, so I decided to let her peruse the latest developments.

She was most impressed by the passing A 3 with 9-up.

post-10395-0-26240500-1447365443_thumb.jpg

Taking it gently through the S bend at Riccarton eliminated the couplings snagging, although I tried some alternative sets later in the day using a mix of Bachmann and Hornby coaches which worked a lot better.

SO having impressed the mutt, I then couldn't resist wiring up the inner loop ( Down main)  and after finding just one short circuit,  looked around for a suitable Pacific and found an excellent Hornby Britannia to do the honours - 10 up this time and a mixed rake.

post-10395-0-02512300-1447365610_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the two trains crossing - I must say it really is impressive seeing two full length trains with a Pacific at the head of each cracking round the whole room.

post-10395-0-48023200-1447365563_thumb.jpg

I have found  couple of points where the 'six foot' isn't quite as wide as it should be - mostly on tight curves, so a spot of track easing is on the horizon

Finally I decided to try and have a crack at a diverted 'Queen of The Scots', but despite searching through all the obvious boxes of stored stock, couldn't find a Deltic!

My DP2 does;t have any couplings as Heljan supplied it all tarted up, and the only decent loco I could lay hands on was an unnamed Peak.I did initially try with a Bachman A4, but it struggled to lift 7 Pullmans up the hill, so some extra weight is on the horizon for Bittern!

I know this pic is wrong on so many counts, but a 10-coach pullman, please ignore the roofs and blame Hornby, really does look like the canine's gonads!

post-10395-0-72715600-1447365804_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I had to click like to both versions! I counted the coaches in that second picture 3 times and was about to say that I count 10, not 9, but then spotted that the second posting says 10! But it's well worth posting twice... those wonderful long trains look perfectly in place!

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback guys - I wouldn't be at all surprised if I decide to do some more scenic work rather than control panel, but I really  do need to focus!

Yes, how the he** does one focus? I know what I should be doing next. I think some discipline and a list is required :nono:  :mail:

I also need to seriously consider how I'm going to do the BUS and droppers on my project. Any tips?

I know that as soon as some track is laid one must test it of course.

Dear Smiffy, did I notice corrugated cardboard lurking under track and if so how does it work for you?  

Looking good mate. 

Phil

Hi Phil,

Best advice I can give you with regards to the bus is to get some heavy duty loudspeaker wire.It comes in a pair on a roll and at a push you could probably handle about 30 A of mains. The other thing in which I would invest is a decent pair of electricians wire strippers, because you can use these to open up the insulation at metre intervals as you progress along the track which, and will then give you some nice fresh copper onto which you can solder your droppers.

With regards to the actual soldering to track I suspect you are better at that than I am!

The corrugated cardboard was my fathers idea when we built our first railway together nearly 50 years ago, he looked at the cost of underlay and decided this was just as good alternative when it came to noise reduction. If you take care trimming it almost next to the sleepers it will also provide a base for ballast and have a decent shoulder. It looks very good on the right setting, but you have to be careful that you don't soak the stuff too liberally or it will go all soggy and loses its strength leaving the track very bumpy!

When it comes to focus, I'm just as easily distracted as you!

Thanks for your input , it is much respected

ATB

Peter

Don't laugh Neil , but the short was because I'd got my colour code reverse when I wired up one of the sections. The code is simple - as you come into Waverley any rail on the left can be wired with a colour that has an 'L' in it and the right with an 'R'.

So left hand rails, use Black, Blue, Yellow, Right hand rails get red grey and brown. White and Pink only get used for common wiring, e.g to frogs, although Pink can be used as a semi-red. That uses all the colours you get int he cheap bundles which work out at somewhere North of £ 1 a roll - way cheaper than full price.

The problem of course is Purple!

What happened with the short was that I was looking at the tracks on the other side of the room from Waverley and wired them back to front. What I should do is rewire them, but there is an element of CBA so I may just cut them short and solder on a correct colour to go to the feed strip!

• RMweb Gold

What happened with the short was that I was looking at the tracks on the other side of the room from Waverley and wired them back to front. What I should do is rewire them, but there is an element of CBA so I may just cut them short and solder on a correct colour to go to the feed strip!

The perils of a roundy roundy... end to end is much easier... red on my side of the board, black on the other side... until I turn the board over to actually do the wiring!

Glad you worked it out, I could imagine that could have taken ages to spot.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On 'my' roundy roundy I'm attempting the droppers as red on rails furthest from me, black on rails nearest me. That's the theory anyway :scratchhead: Other wires......................Lord only knows at the moment.

Smiffy's running stuff reminded me to take a selection of rolling stock into the loft as one coach running smoothly over the hand made point I was testing yesterday is not an indicator that other things will do the same. :senile:

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I do it Phil's way  - red away from me.  I also use green for frogs, because frogs are.....green!

I must have read that somewhere then as I didn't invent it.

I'm, tempted to get a DCC Concepts gismo thingy for my fiddle and a couple of others. That does 16 points switching, polarity etc and one only needs the motors. can be used for DC or DCC I see from the blurb. Can't remember what it's called at the mo but it saves a lot of micro switches and wiring. Anything to avoid wiring too much stuff I'm afraid to admit.

What are you using Smiffy.

Phil

Phil I'm analogue still I'm afraid I have some Guagemasters for the final control board that mirrors the set up one the shed, but am using some time-served H&M Duette's for the testing stage

On the sorting out front, I've learned a lesson from software, which is to build and test in short stages - so I only wire up four or five at a time, then test immediately. That way fault finding can be quite quick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't abide  DCC point control, it took me ages to change a point when I tried it while operating a well respected US exhibition layout (Sweethome Chicago).  Press this for a menu, then that, then the other - to change one point.  Ugh. 

I use bicycle spokes....guided through terminal blocks, with a paper clip up to the tie bar.  The inner end of the spoke pushes a micro switch, and the 'front' end comes through the fascia with a nipple on it.  Admittedly, I have 'walkaround' style control as I prefer that, and it won't suit a really big and complex layout, but it works....  I keep my DCC for driving locos.

Oh, green for frogs because frogs are green = Tony Koester, Model Railroader.