The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

Hi Peter

You photos are coming on a treat, I do particularly like the one with the four pacific's waiting for the turntable.

Also a nice touch having steam and first generation green diesels combined together similar to Ian's Haymarket Cross .

Regards

David 

Thanks David - I don't know if you noted, but we're planning a kitchen extension which, in the fullness of time, is going to give me a loft space of 23x10, with the added possibility of putting a return loop and fiddle yard in the garage roof which will be next door and add another 8x8!

With such a large space, it has to be the Waverley Route from 1958 - 1968!

My plan is to create a layout where there is a through station with bay platforms facing East and put Waverley Shed behind it i.e. to its West, so loco movements to get onto the front of 'Southbound' trains or release to shed having worked a train 'Up' will have to run through the station itself.

Upon leaving the station, I'm planning to keep the lines hidden and run round to the other end of the whole loft behind the back scene on the opposite side of the room. The plan is for an 8-road "southbound' fiddle yard, from which trains can then run up to a junction with the option of going round the line again, but this time visibly, or swinging left on to the reversing loop and returning back along the visible 'Down main' The idea is to have the up and down mains run  as a sweeping double track through typical Cheviot Hills scenery. 

The 'Down main' will descend a gradient to dive under the station - (perhaps called 'Waverley'?) and return to a Northbound fiddle yard, which in turn will feed back to the other side of the hidden line that left the station and deliver 'Northbound' trains to the station.

So the 'out and back journey' will be:

Loco runs through station from loco shed and backs on to train

Station - Fiddle yard ( all hidden) 

Fiddle Yard to "down main" - Fiddle yard

Fiddle yard to reversing loop

Visible run along the 'Down main' to Northbound fiddle yard.

Northbound Fiddle yard to Station ( all hidden)

Swap locos, service train, and start all over again

Train engine  to Shed and servicing

Alternatively we can just run tail chasers that go in sequence from the two sets of fiddle yards - with capacity for 8 trains in each, an operator can choose a very leisurely session 'watching the trains go by'. Alternatively, if one is feeling adventurous, or has some handy help on the day, then it could be split for multiple operators, with one running the station, one driving the up/down main and appropriate fiddle yards, and one i\c the shed!

If it turns out anything like my last big layout, which was of similar size in my parents' loft eleventy years ago, then it will provide hours of amusement for grown men, getting even funnier with the consumption of alcohol!

It's going to take a wee while to afford to kit out the space, so along the way I think I'll start saving and acquiring track - I also just checked out my coaching stock, and found I have enough for about four passenger trains, one sleeper ( all BR Mk. 1s plus a couple of ex-gresleys) two 8-coach pullmans ( don't ask - Sunday diversions perhaps?) and a couple of mixed goods, plus one of GUVs and CCTs.

OPh and four DMUs - one MetroCam, 2x Derby Lightweights and a new Cravens 105.

So lots of eBay scouring to follow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been having fun setting up some pics...

First off a chunk of 'Pacific Power ' had to remove the road ramp to get enough light on to everything, hence the white scenery!

post-10395-0-56019300-1392470675.jpg

Then various shots sneaking around the shed, Nice one of Bittern on the Turntable

post-10395-0-55705800-1392470932_thumb.jpg

Maybe a bit too close for the camera man's comfort - really should have added the buffer beam details before this shot!

post-10395-0-18543500-1392470839_thumb.jpg

But worth it when he'd come round the corner...

post-10395-0-08311800-1392470915_thumb.jpg

A chunk of Peppercorn Power...

post-10395-0-13962800-1392470942_thumb.jpg

and a bit further round reveals an A4...

post-10395-0-65636500-1392470955_thumb.jpg

And with all this talk about Baby Deltics at Peterborough North, look what's quietly rumbled it's way into Waverley having travelled from Liverpool's Hatton Shed...

post-10395-0-79266700-1392470972_thumb.jpg

You've got to hand it to Heljan, the quality of their models is in a whole other league...

post-10395-0-04847600-1392471034_thumb.jpg

post-10395-0-11961400-1392470820_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

HI Chris, thanks for asking, glad you like the thread and welcome to Waverley

I'm hoping the expansion won't take as long as construction of the original Waverley Route, but the building work is due to be finished by End-July, so we'll probably transfer the shed layout to its new home as part of that, then it will be carpentry from there on.

Given how warm it can get in a loft, and the fact that we have a decent sized garden as well, I'm unlikely to be able to get any real solid building time in during the Summer, and work tends to get manic from September - early December, to the next building window won't be much before Christmas when work quietens down, so it's going to be a long-term project.

The theory is that it will give me something for rainy days when I retire - which I'm not planning to do anytime soon, clients willing, so it will probably involve a lot of effort in hurried bursts of great energy, but not actually appear to make much progress - much like the prototype!

ATB

Peter

• Like 1

Note to self: DO NOT GO TO MODEL SHOWS!

This is what happens when you do - happily chatting to Brian from Morris Models at his stand at Brighton Modelworld when my eye was caught by a sign "Seven Ian Kirk Gresley 61'6 coaches £125.00"

When Brian passed them over I couldn't really say 'No'

Well I did actually because we haggled down to £100.00, but when I got them home and unwrapped them I realised it would be sacrilege to repaint them as the builder seems to have done a damn good job.

post-10395-0-15279100-1393266731_thumb.jpg

So how does a rake of 7, very obviously recently outshopped and LNER liveried teak coaches, fit into the Waverley Route in 1960?

SImples!

The main line at Waverley, when finished, will be designed so that you can sit and watch an endless procession of trains going by as they make their way in and out of the hidden  fiddle yard - with no need to ever enter the station.

As I have a P2 on order it would seem only sensible, given its Apple Green livery, to hang these on its tail end, and let it pass in splendid isolation as a 'step back in time'

Or I could even do a 'march through time' starting with the P2 and the teaks, progressing through my BR blue A2 and A4 with a mixed rake of teaks and some blood and custards, then cone through the steam age with BR maroon and cream coaches until it all ends with' Kestrel' hauling a rake of blue and grey mark 2's.

As they'll never all be seen on the track at the same time, why not?

There you are,  prototype for everything!

• Like 8

Hi Peter

I am a big fan of all LNER pacific locomotives but dare I say in Brunswick Green as I remember them, but the thought of an Apple Green P2 at the head of a teak coached train will look very good.

Looking forward to seeing it one day.

Good luck with the new layout.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

-----NEWSFLASH----

CLOSURE OF WAVERLEY SHED

At a packed news conference today in Edinburgh's City Hall, Mr. Peter Smith, General Manager of the Sussex Regional Railways Operating Board (Scottish Region), read out the following pre-prepared statement:

"It has been announced by the Operating Board today that with immediate effect Waverley Shed will be closed and all services cease. Rumours have been circulating around for some time of an imminent relocation and contracts have today been signed for the removal of all stock and effects and the demolition of the existing facilities.

A new location,  which is a scale five miles to the West of the present site has been identified and plans are in hand for the new shed layout and access to main lines. The new location not only offers room for the shed to be expanded, with improved servicing facilities for both Diesel and Steam traction, but will also dramatically improve access to both the East Coast  Main line and of course the Waverley Route itself.

Work has been going on for some time to re-allocate locos to other sheds in the area, and we will of course be taking great care of the welfare of all staff who are affected by this disruption, which the board plans to keep as temporary as possible.

Please note that other activities entered into by the staff at Waverley Shed, including their activities in various Railway forums and other groups, will carry on as before.

The Board will of course be keeping the public and interested stakeholders informed."

Along with the statement the board released the following images of final movements from Waverley Shed.

While most locos have already been moved out A3 60039 Sandwich has come to grief and needs to be re-railed. Some of the engine shed staff saw this the loco expressing her view of being turfed out of her home at such short notice, a view shared by many of them!

post-10395-0-88253500-1395996402.jpg

Having been rerailed, Sandwich heads off for pastures new - but first is on duty to haul the 09.35 Edinburgh -  Carlisle

post-10395-0-29203200-1395996416.jpg

A slightly out of focus shot by a fitter focusing on the cleaner bothy captures Sandwich's departure in the distance

post-10395-0-98717500-1395996436.jpg

A brand new diesel shunter was brought in to help with final shunting of the yard and disposal trains

post-10395-0-25648600-1395996467.jpg

IN addition Waverley loco, B1 61241 stayed ion hand to help out with shunting duties

post-10395-0-96013400-1395996452.jpg

61241 was the final steam loco to leave Waverley, having turned on the turntable to exit facing the right way

post-10395-0-61131800-1395996487.jpg

Followed by the Diesel shunter hauling full coal wagons and various other wagons from around the shed, together with the steam crane which is due for refurbishment and re-livery

post-10395-0-66983600-1395996542.jpg

Finally the photographer climbed to the top of the coaling tower to take one last shot over the now deserted shed, prior to the arrival of the demolition gangs tomorrow.

post-10395-0-47889400-1395996504.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 3

Hi Peter

Just caught up on your thread. I envy you the space your going to have for your new layout. My own layout has had to develop in limited space. It was only when I first started to operate it that I realised I didn't have anywhere for trains to go to. My hidden fiddle yards than had to be built underneath the main table.

I know that you have a large stable of analogue loco's but had you considered planning for DCC on your new layout? I went the whole hog and have RR & Co now to aid me with operation. I think I have 60+ turnouts now and it just got too difficult to remember which switches had to be in which position to get a train from platform 5 to the main line. It certainly cost a bit of money on all the new gear, converting loco's to DCC etc, but I have to say it's not an expenditure I've ever regretted. Some old friends wouldn't convert easily to DCC and have had to be disposed of, but they were probably my worst runners anyway.

I look forward to seeing your new track plan.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I'm sure i'll be needing your help with some of the items - I was looking at your station canopy this morning and thinking it might well tip the balance in favour of a 'wee branch' on the country side of the line!

I have thought about DCC, it's tempting and over the next wee while I'm sure the price of chips will drop, certainly I can see the operational benefits of having it. However, with a stud of 60 locos and six DMUs already, I suspect the logistics of keeping track of them might be more of a challenge that the very visual analogue approach. I'm planning a lot of hidden track work, including two eight-road fiddle yards, so having locos unable to move unless the signalling and point switching is correct is a useful safety aid.

Another concern I have is recognition, especially when you're running half a dozen very similar looking Peppercorns or Gresleys. Imagine them  all sitting close together in the shed, while I could be 20 feet away from them when entering the numbers with eyesight that is less than 20/20, we might think that it's 'Happy Knight' being called up, when in fact it was 'Great Eastern' resulting in the odd 'loco falling into pit' incident!

I didn't realise you're in the land of the All Blacks - did you move there from the UK or were you born out there?

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Only too happy to help, if and when. 

I use Railroad & Co to control my layout. The track diagram on the lap top I plug into the layout highlights were each train is and gives me information on its identity. 

post-18634-0-48225400-1396080519.jpg

post-18634-0-20079200-1396080531.jpg

I can pick which train to run with a mouse and decide if I want to run it manually or get it to run on a predetermined schedule (or a bit of both). I have a significant amount of hidden layout so it allows me to find where everything is. Also don't need to remember their numbers before entering them into a hand controller. My eyesight has never been too good, so it's saved a lot of walking around the layout to peer at running numbers. It's certainly a sizeable investment, but not one I've ever regretted. A few steep learning curves along the way, but the effort and cost has to be off-set against the shear magic of it when it all works properly.

I was born in the UK, but my first wife was a Kiwi that I met when I was working in London. I moved to NZ in 1986. When that marriage ended I had to make a decision where home was and where I wanted to live. I became an NZ citizen and am now happily married to my second wife, a South African. Must be something about foreign accents. Very much now an All Black supporter, but still support England and Tottenham Hotspur for soccer. Soccer is crap here, so you have to pretty soon take an interest in rugby if you want to watch some decent quality sport.

Peter

Edited by wizmacnz

I believe it does run on a mac. You can download a copy of the software at http://www.freiwald.com It's a full version but limited to a certain number of saves and max 15 minutes operation. In my case it meant I had a pretty good idea of what it would do and what I needed to do in my layout construction long before I purchased the software. The manuals are pretty hard to follow, but there is a very helpful forum at freiwald.

Some lovely work. you have the big major scenic items sorted. Track, ballasting, Access slope/road and back wall. I like the track plan. Interesting locos. All the important bits for a good layout.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mal - nice to see it's still catching attention while we await the relocation to the new train loft. I've just finished designing the roof and it looks like the maximum width will be 36x12, so allowing for a little inset to give some scenery I'll have 30 x10 visible.

Hopefully the roof will be on in a couple of weeks and we can see what we're likely to have to play with - can't wait

How come your handle is Purley Oaks ? I used to live just near the next stop down the line...

• Like 1

How come your handle is Purley Oaks ? I used to live just near the next stop down the line...

I grew up between Purley Oaks and Sanderstead stations; enjoyed watching the Brighton Belle rattle through.

And it's mentioned in Monty Python's Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson sketch...

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

• 1 month later...

Well, not a lot to report on the Waverley front other than construction has now got into full swing on the Waverley Extension - by which of course I mean Mrs. Smith's new Kitchen, of which, purely as a side effect, Waverley will have a new home.

Got the final measurement today - 37' x 11'

The pic shows the construction site - the railway space goes from the edge of the scaffold at the front of the pic right to almost the far end of the garage.

I think I'm going to need some more track!

Any suggestions on better than £ 68 a box for code 100, which is what my local shop has offered, would be much appreciated!

post-10395-0-75616100-1407696320_thumb.jpg

• Like 5