These pictures from the Cadbury works are fascinating. I'd love to see more if there are more to see: I only live ten minutes away from Bourneville and its one of my favoured tourist haunts whena  friend from out of town comes to visit

These pictures from the Cadbury works are fascinating. I'd love to see more if there are more to see: I only live ten minutes away from Bourneville and its one of my favoured tourist haunts whena  friend from out of town comes to visit

Edge,

It's not totally practicable as one entry, as there are probably around 200 of various aspects (and many have to be converted from TIFF format).

I thought I would drop them into the thread as and when relevant to whatever was being constructed. Some are not of particularly high quality but others are very atmospheric and were one of the reasons for going down this route.

This is perhaps the favourite, though it pre-dates Waterside by about 20 years.

post-18627-0-74474700-1372175994_thumb.jpg

peterL

• Like 8

Is it just the perspective or is the loco driver something of a Giant ?

Look like he doesn't need a loco - he could push those vans himself.

Peter - don't worry, once we've got over our excitement, we'll pipe down and let you get on with some modelling.....

Mr Cadbury was an equal opportunities employer and employed both Aiden Campbell and Slaters operatives!

post-18627-0-32186900-1372186735_thumb.jpg

peterL

• Like 2

Are you doing the split-track weighbridge?

If I can squeeze the hut in, - I'm not sure yet if space will allow until I start to lay out the track, it has a habit of being bigger than you think on paper. I have counted all the bricks on the hut to get its size, and have done sketch drawings while in 'armchair modelling' mode, so hopefully should be able to shoehorn it in somehow.

post-18627-0-03451800-1372232928.jpg

If anyone knows anything more about how it works, or can give me an idea of the basics, I would be grateful, as far as I can see I just have to lay the track badly!

peterL

• Like 3

Guest Isambarduk

"... or can give me an idea of the basics,"

It's quite simple really: the idea is allow the wagons to pass over the weighbridge but to prevent the heavy loco from doing so.  In this case, I do not know which track is which but let's say that the track nearest the weigh-house passes over the scales (operates just like the Avery scale that you'd see in a coal yard, but rather bigger).  As the train approaches, the 'point' blades are set for the further track (ie to the right in this photo) so that the loco avoids the scale tracks; once the loco has passed the blades, the point is switched to the nearer track to allow the wagons to pass over the scale. The process is reversed at the other end to get the loco and train back together again.  Quite simple but rather clever.

Hope this helps,

David

Edge,

It's not totally practicable as one entry, as there are probably around 200 of various aspects (and many have to be converted from TIFF format).

I thought I would drop them into the thread as and when relevant to whatever was being constructed. Some are not of particularly high quality but others are very atmospheric and were one of the reasons for going down this route.

This is perhaps the favourite, though it pre-dates Waterside by about 20 years.

attachicon.gifSAVE0002.jpg

peterL

I wasn't nagging honest :) just very interested in pictures that I have found to be rather rare and hard to find myself :)

• Like 1

"... or can give me an idea of the basics,"

It's quite simple really: the idea is allow the wagons to pass over the weighbridge but to prevent the heavy loco from doing so.  In this case, I do not know which track is which but let's say that the track nearest the weigh-house passes over the scales (operates just like the Avery scale that you'd see in a coal yard, but rather bigger).  As the train approaches, the 'point' blades are set for the further track (ie to the right in this photo) so that the loco avoids the scale tracks; once the loco has passed the blades, the point is switched to the nearer track to allow the wagons to pass over the scale. The process is reversed at the other end to get the loco and train back together again.  Quite simple but rather clever.

Hope this helps,

David

Wow,

that was fast service!

I have just Googled the split track weighbridge and found a half decent drawing, so it's now down to making the necessary provision when track laying, thanks for that to you and the Signal Engineer for bringing it up, as I had thought I would just be sorting out the hut at a later stage when doing scenery. This will save having to dig the track up.

Regards

peterL

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I have just Googled the split track weighbridge and found a half decent drawing"

Oh well done, Peter.  I did have a quick search for you but I didn't think of using "split track .."  I used "gauntlet track ..." and then I had to go to sort out something else and didn't get back to it.  Please would you post the link so that I may see the drawing - just for curiosity, thanks.

David

"I have just Googled the split track weighbridge and found a half decent drawing"

Oh well done, Peter.  I did have a quick search for you but I didn't think of using "split track .."  I used "gauntlet track ..." and then I had to go to sort out something else and didn't get back to it.  Please would you post the link so that I may see the drawing - just for curiosity, thanks.

David

David,

I should have posted the link, apologies, it's a rather fascinating site I found, for all sorts of detailing of infrastructure stuff.

post-18627-0-92344800-1372236982_thumb.jpg

http://www.victorianrailways.net/infastuct/infastructhome.html

Hope it doesn't take up too much of your time browsing, I've been looking at it for the last hour, although it appears to be Aussie in origin the principles of much of the Civil Engineering work is just as relevant to GB.

Regards

peterL

• Like 4

I wasn't nagging honest :) just very interested in pictures that I have found to be rather rare and hard to find myself :)

No doubt they will all come out in the course of time, but if you want copies PM me, and I will arrange for a CD of what I have.

Regards

peterL

Excellent stuff Peter, have you browsed the UK Standard Gauge Industrial section of the forum yet? This would sit well in that section.

Hi,

Yes,l it's one of my first ports of call, I did debate long and hard as to whether it should have gone in there but the main line running through the layout, and general 7mm aspects such as track and point construction etc. seemed to make this place a better fit for the project as a whole.

I have to say that Ruston's work was one of the main inspirations to get things moving, particularly as I have a Peckett to build similar to his. I shall probably post the builds of the various Industrial loco's and stock in that forum when I get a bit further on.

Regards

peterL

• Like 1

That second photo is the one I have, but the others are new to me.  Have a glance through this page for some more photos.

The top two shots show Italian vans of various types. I've scratchbuilt a set of these in 4mm:

itrake_zps7994b72b.jpg

itvan_zps73e8c5a2.jpg

There are 7mm models of these available from Europe but they're horribly expensive. Barrie Walls has a scratchbuilt one on his 'Wallsea Main' 7mm layout.

The Belgian van is actually British - it's one of the 12T vans built by the ROD for the train ferry service when it was introduced during WW 1 and then sold to the Belgians after the war. Photos of these in traffic are quite rare in my experience, they seem to have been phased out fairly quickly. I haven't built any of those yet though I'd like to. The version with the brake hut is especially quirky.

The French van is the same or very similar to the one in the NRM. That one is apparently painted the wrong colour, though. Yours looks as if the side vents have been panelled over.

fasus.jpg

There's a surprising amount of information out there as and when you might fancy having a go at building some. The transfers for the Italian vans are with John Peck at Precision Labels. I'm sure scaling up to 7mm wouldn't be a problem.

I think the SNCF ferry van in the prototype photo is one of the SNCF-built ones, dating from the mid-1960s- it appears to have roller bearings. The model is of an earlier design, perhaps ex-PLM; these lasted into the late 1960s.

I suspect some of the Italian traffic would have been hazelnuts from the area around Turin.

Cocoa beans would probably have come by rail from Bristol/Avonmouth.

Does anyone else remember the essay competition that Cadburys used to run for children in the last year of primary school every year? I've still got my certificate..

• Like 1

Shame that Agenoria haven't got the Cadbury's Avonside kit in production at the moment, that's probably the iconic Cadbury loco for the industrial side.

The last time I spoke to Mike Williams it was still going to be produced, it's just that he didn't realise it had a shorter wheelbase than the 1101 he produces, so he now has to do all the chassis etches as well. I don't think I will be waiting for it, I can build the four North British diesels and the Hunslett before I get around to the Avonsides! - I do want to build a couple though, at a push I could also use his 1101 as a base to scratch-build off, I particularly want to model No 5 in its 'experimental' livery, though I'm not sure it ever reached the works in this scheme.

Regards

peterL

post-18627-0-10013900-1372260811_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think the SNCF ferry van in the prototype photo is one of the SNCF-built ones, dating from the mid-1960s- it appears to have roller bearings. The model is of an earlier design, perhaps ex-PLM; these lasted into the late 1960s.

I suspect some of the Italian traffic would have been hazelnuts from the area around Turin.

Cocoa beans would probably have come by rail from Bristol/Avonmouth.

Does anyone else remember the essay competition that Cadburys used to run for children in the last year of primary school every year? I've still got my certificate..

I  recall the competition, have you got the tin that was full of chocolates after the visit to the factory, that everyone used as a pencil tin?

Regards

peterL

post-18627-0-49976400-1372261658.jpg

• Like 1

I remember when you wrote to Cadbury and received a booklet with the whole process of making chocolate with samples of all the ingredients. Brilliant. Although I'm probably older than most of you as I can still remember rationing and the nationalisation of the railways.

I  recall the competition, have you got the tin that was full of chocolates after the visit to the factory, that everyone used as a pencil tin?

Regards

peterL

We didn't get the factory visit, alas- it would have been a bit ambitious for a class of 10 (and we were the 'baby boom'- the classes above and below had only 5)- they'd have needed half the teaching staff (2) to accompany us..

When did the last vestiges of the system close?  I'm sure I remember 'Cadbury' branded vans on the side of the canal when passing on Bristol- Birmingham trains in 1973.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the crossbar signal, it originally had a lamp on top. There was another example at Coleshill which I think lasted until Saltley PSB was commissioned in 1969. There's a good shot of it at http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrforg1058.htm

The signal at Cadburys and the short arm semaphore by the weighbridge hut were shown on old plans as 'Stop Shunt' signals. They were normally OFF and put to danger locally when a move was coming in from the main line.

• Like 1