GWR WAGON DRAWINGS

Hi. This is my first post on RM web. 

Does anyone have a dimensioned detail drawing for a GWR wagon axle guard as fitted to open goods wagons between c1895 and 1905 – the type of axle guard used with a grease axle box (not the later OK oil box). I’ve checked the usual wagon books, and the NRM OPC microfilms, but can only find ‘wagon drawings’, whereas I’m looking a ‘detail drawing’ for all the dimensions. The GWR wagon drawings at the NRM are currently unavailable, they are being catalogued. 
Cheers

Tony

Thanks for your input Alex. Sadly the drawings don't provide the detail (dimensions really) that I need. I have been in touch with Swindon and although they hold wagon drawings, again they don't contain the detail I need. Unfortunately, the most likely collection to contain the drawing that I need, the GWR C & W drawing collection at the NRM, is un-accessible at the moment due to it being catalogued. I just hoping that some one might have some thing in their private collection. But my period of interest is a bit early for a lot of modellers.

Thanks again for your interest.  

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this helps, but in MRJ 12 & 13 Chris Crofts did some details on GWR wagons with drawings. I don't have these issues to hand at present, so I can't look them up.

Maybe someone else can take a look at them to see if they contain the info required?

• 2 years later...

Tony

I don't suppose you're still looking for this info but there's a fairly clear diagram of the Grease Axlebox on a shunting truck, Figure 201 of Atkins, Beard & Tourret's GWR Goods Wagons at the start of Chapter 16.  Photographs on the early pages of Chapter 18 show the Grease Box on Open wagons in the 1900's, although some of the captions indicate these had been withdrawn from the operating fleet (awaiting refit?).  However, plate 345 of three plank 34920 with a load of carboys has an estimated date of 1910 and I see there's another Grease Box four plank wagon in the background of the picture.

I have modelled a 7mm example in Sketchup with a view to 3D printing and have attached a dimensioned diagram.  Hope these are of use to somebody.

post-12478-0-58896100-1447897074.png

Archived