Manchester Ducie street goods warehouse

thats great Ron thank you

to be honest, because ive never seen any decent shots of the building, Ive often thought of replacing it with a model of a similar looking building at Great Howard street goods yard in Liverpool, had 3 lines feeding it but was a wagon lift to allow access to the larger yard below, but ive never found any decent shots of that either so have never done it.

The photo at the top of the linked page was taken from almost exactly the same spot as the first of my 1991 photos. 

This one was taken from a position more-or-less where the covered wharf was, looking at the tracks running between the wharf and the now-missing warehouse, just about where the words "Goods Station" are on the OS map. Interesting shot: you don't often get to see the underpinnings of a turntable like this.

Also, the book cited at the bottom of the "Timeline" page: "Manchester: the warehouse legacy" sounds interesting.

Jim

• Like 1

thing is, its not a warehouse, just a wagon hoist. looks like it has 4 tracks, can see the arches that lead out to the covered goods area to the left of shot, I would think that would look a bit more realistic in the tight space.

Ive never seen any shots of it, there is good footage of similar ones in Sheffield on a British transport film Freight and a city.

ive found this one, I remember this railtour was featured on one of the B&R videos and mention was made of it finishing at Ducie street so hopefully there may be more shots..

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944&page=339

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/650807lc.html

Edited by Michael Delamar

I do remember that the top of those yards by what was then London Road station were shunted by J11's locos from Gorton in the mid/late 1950's, although I am not sure how far down steam locos were allowed to go. The forthcoming Bachmann model will be a good choice for a model, tho I think 08's came along in the early 1960's.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...