BR Tube Wagons - a question of ends and livery

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I am sitting here looking at a copy of 'Red Panniers' and specifically a colour pic showing one of these locos hauling what look like two unfitted BR tube wagons ( I am assuming that's what they are as they look very similar to other pics of what are tube wagons and to the Parkside kit).  The picture raises two questions for me:

1.  one of them seems to have corrugated ends, while the other looks planked; is it my eyesight or was that a build variation or repair?

2.  the livery looks to be so pale a shade of grey as to be almost rail grey; is that just fading, something to do with the photograph's age, or were they really that light a shade.  I have seen, in the same book, pics of LU engineers stock of a very similar shade; the vehicle are just far enough in the distance for me to be unable to clearly make out the lettering.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any answers.

Regards,

Alex.

Tube wagons were built both with and without corrugated ends- those with timber ends were normally of LMS or LNER origin, with the design being carried over to BR days. BR built both unfitted and fitted ones with corrugated ends- if I rememember correctly, the Parkside kit includes parts for both types of brake.

The LMS type is available from Chivers Finelines; I've not built one, but if it's anything like their other kits, they're even easier to build than Parkside:-

http://slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html

The grey of unfitted wagons seemed to vary a lot, probably dependent on where and when the wagon was painted.

Hi folks,

I am sitting here looking at a copy of 'Red Panniers' and specifically a colour pic showing one of these locos hauling what look like two unfitted BR tube wagons ( I am assuming that's what they are as they look very similar to other pics of what are tube wagons and to the Parkside kit).  The picture raises two questions for me:

Which page is the photo on?

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon,

D'oh!

Something about your question made me think, 'have I referenced the wrong book?'  I had!

The photos are in 'London Underground Steam' by Kevin McCormack (Ian Allan 2011), pages 45 and 46.

Sorry for any confusion or wasted time on your, or anyone else's part.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived