LT- ex BR coal wagons

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I have again been looking through the 'Red Panniers' book and it always seems to raise more questions than it answers; it also doesn't help that the answers seem to be found in currently (and often long) out-of-print books.

Anyway, some of the photos seem to show ex-BR 16t minerals of riveted construction (diag. 109?).  You can see where the black patch for number and weight details have been painted out and the 'LONDON TRANSPORT' legend applied.  Were there many of these?  Can anyone give me an idea as to when they were used and what numbers they may have carried.

Other photos also seem to show a number of 6, 7, and 8 planked timber chassis wagons, with the latter two types seeming to be in coal rather than engineering use.  Again, can anyone give me an idea of when, how many, and possible number series.

As you'll gather from some of my other posts I am looking to build a small fleet of 1960s steam and wagon stock (I have no idea why, I just like them) and want to create as great a variety of vehicles as possible.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for providing any answers.

Regards,

Alex.

I think it is highly unlikely that any LT numbers were ever carried by any ex BR steel mineral wagons as I never noted any down or have ever seen any reference to them. I would guess that the one pictured in the Red Panniers book from 1968 was likely used internally at Neasden, for loco coal storage. I recall a campaign by BR to charge companies that held onto wagons too long - often coal merchants who might keep some of next winter's stock throughout the summer months, so its possible that LT responded by buying or leasing one or two. 

I was spotting LT buses and railways from 1959 till 1965 and then just service stock, both road and rail in 1969/70. By then I'd been working on LT since late '64 and was driving trains on the Central line, and could more easily get into most places. My list from 25/3/69 for Neasden shows the following  4 wheel planked wagons :- BW4, 21, 86, 131, 213/4, 245/9/55/62 . I recall that some of these were in a deplorable condition, and in those days I did not record anything without an LT number (bad boy!) so the occasional BR steel minerals and match wagons just got cursed rather than noted down. The Neasden power station I believe had closed in 1965, removing most of the other wooden 4 wheel wagons (A - ash, PH - power house, SL - slurry) and the BR mineral wagons that had frequented the sidings at that end.  PH 952 and PH961 were at Lillie Bridge at the time, maybe also for keeping loco coal.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the very full answer.  Interesting potential reason for the wagon in the pic.  The other wagon information is all very helpful too.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Archived