How big is your library of reference books?

OnTheBranchline

Books are heavy and the brackets that support the shelves on which mine live are not the most substantial of things, so get checked every few months in case they are showing signs of collapse. 

When I checked them about this time last year I found the brackets were still okay - it was the wall to which they were screwed that was showing signs of collapse!

• 2 weeks later...

At least 10 feet of shelf space, so I guess that's a few hundred books. Plus the ones that are starting to arrive on my kindle. I must admit I do love railway books, but I can think of worse addictions.

At times I question the wisdom of placing so much dead weight (bookcases, filing cabinets) on an upper floor (my wife does question it more frequently, but for other reasons!).

At library school, we were told that libraries, as a group of buildings, have the second highest loading per square foot, after machine shops. Now, I can think of others that must be pretty heavily loaded (turbine halls?), but I think the general point that books in bulk weigh a lot is valid.  

• 1 month later...

Like Peter (see above) I have been collecting all my life and can currently claim over 20,000 books and magazines on railway associated subjects (inc trams/traction engines and canals) but unlike Peter I have yet to organise my collection ... whilst I maintain a stock of over 16,000 books/magazines in my shop it is often easier to look something up there than to find my own copy.

• 3 months later...

....2 more added to the TG reference shelf today I'm afraid. Our first fund raising coach trip for 2014 was to Ironbridge and Ludlow.....the bookshop adjacent to the Ludlow outdoor market had 'Diesels on the Western' by Michael Welch and 'Western Branch Lines' by David Soggee & Michael Welch...these two excellent colour albums seemed the perfect reading material for a couple of hours in the beer garden at 'The Feathers'.

Dave 

Thinned out my collection of "Model Railroaders" today by donating them to the dump. The collection of 300-400 books are staying, but which really need cataloguing into their various subjects, as suggested elsewhere. Then I might know what I've got - the "Country Branch Line" rubs shoulders with the "Oxford Book of Verse".

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

Is there a push in the UK to stop public/school libraries from having ACTUAL BOOKS?

On of the local council's here in Melbourne got caught out last week, when it was leaked out that a new library mightn't have any actual books. However it seems now that they have buckled under the public pressure & have agreed the following.

UPDATE: BOOKS are back on the agenda for a new library planned for Newport after Hobsons Bay Council last night agreed to let library users have a say on what their library should contain.

Wow, users are going to have a say on what's in their library! The mind boggles.

<http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/campaign-to-include-books-at-a-new-library-in-newport-gains-momentum/story-fngnvmj7-1226850209893>

• 7 months later...

I only have a small collections but that's only because I buy books that I find useful I have all of Colin marsden recognition guides which have a vast selection of colour photos and I also have the second edition of BR steam locos 1948 - 68 which to me is the best steam book out there. I also have a sizeable collection of model rail magazines

Archived