WOT - NO BRM INDEX?

Osgood

OK - all I want to do is find the BRM issue which had the article on WALKER MARINE ( I found a reference to this in the article on the last showing of this layout, but no issue number was given).

Despite spending around 1 1/2 hours searching both the Internet and this website / forum, I can find no easy-to-use index, other than wading through page after page in the Layout Focus section. And yes I have used the search function but nothing appears under walker marine on the magazine pages.

What I mean by easy to use index is either a listing of articles (alphabetical) giving the relevant issue, or a list of issues with key articles appearing in that issue.

I tried the Apple App Store in the hope that this may lead to a simple index for the magazine - does not seem to work, and there are two reviews on the Apple App Store site both pretty negative ( gremlins about...).

Of course it could well be me not seeing the obvious in front of me, but I rather suspect there may not exist such a simple index - instead we just have a plethora of complexity. Sorry but I just don't have time to spend hour after hour wading through it all until I stumble across it.

So fisrtly - can someone PLEASE advise which issue of BRM I should be looking for, and secondly - can someone explain why there does not appear to be a simple magazine index?

Rant over, and if it is there and I'm being dense then I apologise. On the other hand if it doesn't exist then for goodness sake get your act together!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the response, Richard. It really doesn't have to be anything special - a simple listing like I suggested is quite adequate. For example the MRJ index available online works very well and saves a lot of time. The real effort is in collating the information onto a spreadsheet.

I guess I was surprised that nothing as simple as this was already out there given the volume of other information available (for example the content of each new issue is described in detail, so the info is there but just not in the basic form required for easy use).

Tony

Just to redress the balance in case anyone feels I am being critical of BRM specifically - I've been searching on indexes for other railway modelling magazines today. One thing that strikes me as very strange is that it looks like all of these indexes have been produced not by the magazine publishers, but by others who feel the need to help the modelling community find what ttney're looking for.

Why is this? I must say if ever I were to be involved in a magazine, then a user friendly index to back issues would be high on my list of priorities.

Osgood,

Up until the recent few years most mags printed yearly indexes and I think some still do.

With the faster uptake of the net, I don't think a lot of publishers have had the time to do anything electronically.

Then there is the issue of what is the best format to publish it in to suit the majority of readers who would want to use it!

Do you make it searchable, do you just have it by volume/issue!

Do you list everything the way the mags have in the index remembering the article title doesn't always reflect what the article is about, although that could be overcome if you use a Microsoft Excel program or Open Office xls (which is the same thing )

There again I do believe that there are publishers that are not net savvy even now!

I suspect a great option would be that if a group of members were really interested, and with Andy's assistance for space we could probably produce one on this site, to cover all published mags on Model Railways.

Khris

Having  initiated and compiled (with help) the Index to MT-Model Trains International-(which see), I can say from personal experience (and I've done them for matters of professional concern and interest) there's a lot of hard graft involved.

They are important because an index is essential. Otherwise how do you know what's there and then where is it..

And it's not as easy to do as some appear to think.

Once or twice and more is quite enough  for me.

• RMweb Premium

Having  initiated and compiled (with help) the Index to MT-Model Trains International-(which see), I can say from personal experience (and I've done them for matters of professional concern and interest) there's a lot of hard graft involved.

They are important because an index is essential. Otherwise how do you know what's there and then where is it..

And it's not as easy to do as some appear to think.

Once or twice and more is quite enough  for me.

Its certainly not easy and gets harder the more terms for searching are provided. I'd always prefer to see a bit more than 'Author', 'Title' & 'Issue/Page Number', but certainly that info is better than nothing.

One aspect that is difficult & is underestimated, is consistently entering data in the same format.

Sorry John, but using your index as an example. Looking at 'Index of Drawing Articles', some items show as 'BR Coaching Stock' & others as 'British Railways Coaching Stock'. A small detail, I agree, but one that can make the difference between finding an article and not doing so.

I'm not just saying this to be difficult, but I did submit a corrected list of similar spelling errors for the 'Model Rail' index, about a year ago. These were incorporated, into that index.

Kevin, yes that is the one I set up for MTI, but now have passed the job of maintaining it to some one else. Maybe that's where the difficulty you mention occurred.

I quite agree that consistency is important; saying it is one thing applying it another. But I take the point. The difficulty is when more than one person is involved

with different ideas, energy and enthusiasms and their attitude to being 'controlled'.

You quite rightly also mention simplicity. I think that is the case with the MTi Index and it does allow of  a search from different directions.

An engaging subject and thanks for your interest and comments.

• 10 months later...

We do have an index but it's only complete up to 2007. The plan it to put it online in some way when the technical side manage to plan it. In the meantime I can answer any questions regarding back articles.

Hi Richard,

Can you supply the reference for Dick Hewins' article on how he converted Hornsby lord of the isles bodies into a Gwr Armstrong class 4-4-0?

Many thanks

drduncan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived