Class 47 in gauge 1

I am in the process of making a gauge 1 class47 loco. This is the basic chassis.

post-17804-0-29840600-1372274436_thumb.jpg

I had thought that I would be using brass sheet for the roof and cab, but this thread on 3D printing has got me thinking. I have tried Sketchup and while it is easy to produce some interesting shapes, I found certain operations very difficult, eg rotation and attaching one part to another. So at the moment I am trying Cubify Invent, and it is not bad. This is a first attempt at a roof vent.

post-17804-0-40980400-1372275901_thumb.png

It looks very big, but in actual fact it should come at about 30mm in diameter.

I have another couple of days before my free trial comes to an end, when I will have to decide whether to purchase or go back to Sketchup, which is free.

This looks like a great project. Are you planning to make just one or to make several? What scale is it- 1:29 or 1:32?

The first part I tried to draw was a class 24 roof as it was a simple shape - like a 47. Some on here get on with blender and I've found it easier than sketch up when trying to make shapes like cab fronts and roofs, there are also plenty of tutorials on Youtube.

renderedclass24roof.jpg

The 47 is looking good, its nice to see some more Gauge 1 on RMweb often wondered if we should have a G1 group!

I will look forwards to seeing the finished loco out running if you get to any get togethers in the midlands.

Simon you missed the main G1 scale, out of your list. 1:30.5 or 10mm/1ft is the most popular scale in G1 it gives just a bit more space for the live steam (and live diesel for that matter) chaps to work their magic, 1:32 or 3/8" scale is closer to true scale and is growing in popularity as most shop brought models are produced in this from China and the Far East and more and more is now being produced as RTR, 1:29 tends to be used in the USA so unfortunately the class 66's were produced in it because of there American parentage, but for British prototypes its not used that often. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the cab Simon. I just could not get on with Sketchup, but the fact that it is free, perhaps I should persevere. I am using 1:32 scale. I managed to find a side elevation of a Class47 which I imported into TurboCad drawing programme. I sized the image to give me a scale 1:32. I had planed to use sheet brass, but this thread on 3D printing has got me thinking about at least trying to fabricate the roof by 3D printing. I realised that my first attempt at producing on of the circular vents can't be fabricated because the mesh is not supported. However here is another attempt.

post-17804-0-71544800-1373206461_thumb.png

This has ben done with Geomagic Design. Unfortunately my free trial period is coming to an end, so I will have to try to import it into Sketchup.

As well as doing this I am busy designing the electronics to drive the motors. I will be using 433Mhz radio control modules, plus a microprocessor in the engine to control the motors.

Added a bit more detail to the roof section.

post-17804-0-87719800-1373308802_thumb.png

Colours are a bit bright, but they do show up the various parts. There is supposed to be a pipe running from the centre rear , across the top of the SERK vents to the front, but I gave up trying to draw this in 3D. I believe there is something called 'netfabb' which is supposed to verify that the data is suitable for 3d printing.

Gauge 1 may be big enough for things to be printable but I'd have expected to need to etch the grilles in brass ?

Does look good though

Tools like netfab/meshlab will only help see if there are problems in a mesh, they won't completely verify it can be printed. The tools situation on that is fairly weak, even people like Shapeways can't always filter out stuff that won't print without preparing it or sometimes printing it and failing.

Alan

Archived