SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

I am currently planning a layout, which is one of the great armchair past-times we all go through; and in some cases, it feels like that is all we do.  Well, I guess that is part of the railway modelling fun, dreaming, researching, planning, sketching, tweaking and sometimes screwing up  and consigning to the bin.

Some of us like to doodle, some like to sketch and others spend time to play with computers and use model railway planning software.  Well I have found the latter to be both good fun and helpful.  Especially when it comes to what you can realistically fit in to the space you have; pencil and paper plans so often are impossibilities when it comes to realistic radii and point-work.

So why for this post, well I recently came across a newish piece of software that I think is really good for design and planning a layout; in any scale.  It is called SCARM, Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller.

It comes with a whole host of track libraries covering most gauges and manufactures of track including flexi-track.  It also includes some basic landscape objects such as signals and trees. You can also build your own structures and buildings using simple object shapes.

Building a track layout is pretty straight forward as each unit snaps together and there is good control with flexi-track pieces to create bespoke curves.   You can then introduce levels and gradients to create realistic multi-levelled layouts.  With the addition of bridges, tunnels, basic scenery and land forms as well as outline building shapes, a dream layout soon comes alive. 

But the best tool the software offers to help to visual the planned layout is the 3D feature.  The rendering is fast and the angle of view is fully controllable; pan, tilt and zoom.  It really helps to see what the layout will look like especially when levels and gradients are involved.  3D snapshots can be taken of any view allowing the image to be posted online; a great way to show off your layout plan

So, to the main aim of this topic, I hope it can be a single point of conversation (within RMWeb) on the use of SCARM, both to share layout plans and to ask user questions.  The author of the program also has a Blog for SCARM with regular updates and there is a website where it can be downloaded from. He is also a member of RMWeb. Link to the software: http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html and link to the Blog: http://www.scarm.info/blog/.

As well as my layout plan, seen below, I have also created some basic UK rolling stock objects that can be used to help with visualisation as well as sizing of things like platform lengths, sidings etc.  These are available from the SCARM Blog website along with lots of other useful things to get you started.  Also. see my SCARM gallery http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2706-scarm/.

Example plan, a view of my North Marsh Road - i have used track colours to help to denote differing levels of the track.

gallery_4412_2706_16377.jpg

An example 3D snapshot, a view from the platform ends looking toward the main junction.

gallery_4412_2706_80498.jpg

Paul

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just started with SCARM and having a slight problem in that I cannot seem to turn points around. I am sure it is very simple but so far it has beaten me! Help please?

Hi Chris,

Turning (rotating) of tracks in SCARM is little tricky for now. You need to place a new Start point in desired direction and then you move and attach the track to it - it will then turn in the Start point direction.

To place a new Start point, use "Edit" > "New Start point" menu command - the cursor will change to cross. Press and hold left mouse button on the drawing plot - a new start point with direction line will appear. Move the mouse while holding the button down and adjust the direction. When ready, release the mouse button. Now place the track or move and attach an existing piece to the start point.

You can also use the Toolbox (in Tools menu) to precisely place new Start point at a given coordinates and angle.

I will change this in some of the next versions and will make rotating of the tracks to be as easy as rotation of the figures and objects  ;)

Mixy

Author of SCARM

• Like 3

I find the best way is to simply drag a piece of flexitrack (or fixed radius bend) onto the board and adjust that to get the correct angle then drag your point to connect onto it.

Here is my proposed layout in Scarm.  I should hopefully be doing the noisy work this weekend - building the baseboards - to let me tinker in the evenings once the kids are in bed.

post-16793-0-29945100-1372936779_thumb.jpg

It's inspired by the south half of Cambridge station set 1948-56.  It has the two bay platforms of the ex LNWR Bletchley lines and one part of the main platform (all half length).  In this alternate reality Cambridge will be transformed into a terminus with suburban trains from Kings X and Liverpool St plus the Oxford trains and an express service from Liverpool St.  Lob in a few goods trains and it becomes quite a hectic timetable.  I have crunched a 1947 LNER timetable I found on the net to give an idea of the running order for trains.  A full weekday will be 58 arrivals and departures without the goods so more than enough to keep me busy.  If I get running rights over more of the room I can extend it to create a loop to allow through trains to Ely, Yarmouth and Peterborough.

I have intentionally not provided run-arounds so a station pilot will be very busy.  In essence it is a shunting layout with coaches being the main things being shunted.  It is nearly all Honby set track and flexi as that is what I have.  All the wiring is pretty much confined to one board.  All points will be hand of god and the odd stall will be remedied likewise.  Construction will be 9 mm ply with 2 by 1 bracing underneath.  Existing chest of drawers will fit under and between the legs.  The fiddle yard will be by cassettes of various lengths. The express will be four coaches with a buffet (MK1s or the forthcoming Bachmann Thompsons), suburbans will be three coaches (I have some Mark 1s but may invest in some more variety - eg ex LNER Gresleys) and the lowly line to Oxford two ex LMS coaches.

Motive power will be a mix of tanks (N2s and L1s for the King X suburbans), 4-4-0s (for the Liverpool St suburbans - probably have to be a stand in as no ready to run Holden D16s available) and B1s and B17s on the express with perhaps the odd appearance of an A4 (as I really like them).  Also a couple of midland 2MT and 4MT for the Oxford line so a nice mix of motive power.

The goods and loco facilities are obviously woefully small so the theory is the main ones are off scene and these are sub sheds.  Carriage storage will be on the lowest road.  Parcels can be shunted into the siding above the station.  Also scope for cutting out the buffet car for servicing on this siding.

It should hopefully keep me modelling for some time as I intend to try scratch building the station buildings, road bridge and the low relief warehouses and a flour mill.  If I feel really brave I may try to build a D15 from a kit.  But I should also be able to play trains relatively quickly since there is not that much track.  If I succeed in getting the baseboards built I will hopefully start a Layout topic for it.

Edited by jon_1066
  • Like 1

Hi Jon_1066

That's great looking layout. I really like the way you have used SCARM to set the layout in the room, works well in 3D.  Great locos too! What are the layout dims?

Having grown up near to Kings Lynn, I remember my first childhood trip to Cambridge and was amazed at how long the main platform was and the big four way diamond crossing in the middle too.  So your idea of half of the station is a great interpretation.  I think this is a great view, before rationalisation - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cambridge_Station_panoramic_view_northward_in_early_Diesel_days_geograph-2397822-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

All the best with the wood cutting and building.

Paul

Thanks for posting that. I haven't heard of Scarm until coming here. I have just moved house & have 3 possible locations for a layout. Now I can mess around & see what will work out best. Haven't made a layout for ten years. Things have moved on a bit.....

Thanks for posting that. I haven't heard of Scarm until coming here. I have just moved house & have 3 possible locations for a layout. Now I can mess around & see what will work out best. Haven't made a layout for ten years. Things have moved on a bit.....

Shall look forward to seeing things progress.  Any questions on SCARM do ask.

• 1 month later...

Back again. Still a long way from a railway but dreaming helps while waiting for plaster to go off enough to level..... I love the way you added platforms & other items to your plan. But try as I might I can't find where on the blog to download them. Any chance you can post a link. I have been messing with a square plan also. 6'4" X 7'. Fitting anything much in 4mm is quite a challenge. But then it keeps the budget withing bounds. 

The platforms in SCARM track plan can be added in two ways:

1. By use of rectangles and polygons. This is described in details in the manual here: How to create station platforms in SCARM.

2. By use of preset objects in some libraries. Currently, only Hornby-OO and Hornby-OO-D3 libraries have platforms and ramps, located in the bottom of the tracks list. These platforms are real items, produced by Hornby and they can be purchased and used in HO and OO scale layouts. The platforms from Hornby-OO library can be viewed in Jaggzuk's layout snapshot, above in the topic.

Hope this helps :)

Mixy

I found SCARM very useful, when I wanted to work out how to include a 3-way point into an existing layout that was based largely on old Hornby-Dublo track (all in the library!).  My railway also has an 009 section on an upper level and this is shown as well, on the 3D view.

post-19820-0-71721700-1378759728.jpg

Mike

Thank you, Mike :)

Last week, I posted an article in SCARM Blog about Useful Stuff In Various SCARM Libraries, like platforms, level crossings, signals and more ready-to-use 3D objects.

If some of you use these objects and they do not appear on the drawing plot, you need to check the Accessories view setting. Open "Tools" > "Settings" > "2D View" > "Tracks" and place a check mark on Accessories field if there is no one.

Mixy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

post-19771-0-29622200-1383162045_thumb.jpg

This is my current plan for a family layout in OO. Restricted to 6' 4" X 7'. It's based on an idea by CJ Freezer from his 60 plans for small railways book. I have another to draw up so will add to this later. The rectangle is the operators well. The layout is enclosed by walls on 3 sides. Scarm is great for showing the clearances & gradients. 

post-19771-0-76110700-1383679442_thumb.jpg

In the original plan there is a loco depot in the space top right in the plan. This I feel is just too much railway so a textile mill & some terraces should fit in here. MPD moved to the station.  The turntable is a bit overpowering so that will be down sized to take up to a black 5. Or if it still doesn't look right removed altogether. As drawn the operators well is 2' square.  The plan is drawn with medium radius points and some set track curved points. In the space you can't have it all.  Minimum visible radius is 24^. Though down to 15" in the loop. The next possibility is single track but with a continuous run. Since this is part train set & part model railway such things matter to small boys!

This may take some time as I haven't finished plastering the railway room yet..... 

post-19771-0-77814500-1384120521_thumb.jpg

Alternative plan with continuous run. But single track. Platforms are longer but the goods yard ends up smaller. Another of CJFs ideas but redrawn for my smaller square site. Simpler as just two levels so the baseboards will be easier. 

Edited by L&Y
  • Like 1

I like the layout idea L&Y, a good out and back with some nice scenic interludes.

The short bit of track between the two tunnels on the right reminds me a bit of the junction on the Huddersfield line that goes to Penistone.

My only observation is you say that the layout will be sided by walls on the the side but the operators well looks a tad small for the whole family to stand in ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something interesting an really useful for SCARM beginners - a series of video tutorials, created and narrated by Ruud Boer. The first video is available here:

SCARM Video Tutorials – Part 1 – Create a Model Railway Layout.

The second and each next clip are available from the links in the bottom of each blog post.

Hope that you will like the videos ;)

Mixy

How to create a baseboard with an operators well in the middle

In response to a post on another thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78345-which-layout-design-software/?p=1230657, here is how to create a baseboard with an open aperture in the middle, like this: 

gallery_4412_2706_28779.jpg

2D working space

gallery_4412_2706_25521.jpg

3D view

To create this type of baseboard, you use the "Toolbox" from the Tools menu.  Using the option "Baseboard (abs. coordinates)" you enter each corner point in turn starting from 0,0, then 3000,0 followed by 3000,3000 etc.  In effect you are drawing a long line with a series of turns, joining back up with 0,0 at the end.  See also  http://www.scarm.info/Toolbox_BB_abs.jpg and http://www.scarm.info/Toolbox_BB_rel.jpg

Something like this:

gallery_4412_2706_57306.jpg

The important point in creating this type of baseboard is where the two baseboard lines touch at 0,2000 and 1000,2000.  As SCARM will not allow baseboard lines to cross (or to lie on top of each other) you have to 'trick'  it in to drawing it connected.  You do this by off-setting one corner point by 1, the 0,1999 in the above case.

Once drawn, you can very easily move points to modify the shape.  You can also add or delete points at a later date using the context menu on the mouse pointer to add complexity to the baseboard shape, like cut outs around  room obstacles or add angled corners etc.

Depending upon how you decide to build you actual baseboards, I overlaid my plan with standard baseboard size shapes in the 2D working space.  These have a zero height, therefore remain invisible in the 3D view.

You could add actual baseboards shapes like this:

gallery_4412_2706_22689.jpg

Giving the standard baseboard shapes a thickness and colour will make them visible in the 3D view.

gallery_4412_2706_6443.jpg

Also see http://www.scarm.info/blog/advanced-techniques/baseboard-with-a-hole-inside/

I hope this is of use

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 1