Bude Station, Yard etc

I've just come into possession of 15 small enprint b+w photos of Bude station and most of the buildings in the nearby yards. Taken early 60's I guess; all a bit overgrown, but in one there's a diesel unit at the platform. Just wondered if they're at all of interest to anyone... if so I'll scan 'em and upload.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I still have the OO scale plans drawn up on the back of a roll of wallpaper. It was done to scale within the station and loco shed areas with some shortening between there and the slaughterhouse.

Just need the space to build it.

Can anyone explain what that pair of rails is doing, at right angles to the passing line and entering an open shelter, next to the Signal Box in the last of the 2nd set of photos? I'm certainly puzzled!

Can anyone explain what that pair of rails is doing, at right angles to the passing line and entering an open shelter, next to the Signal Box in the last of the 2nd set of photos? I'm certainly puzzled!

that is for the track gang's trolley

• RMweb Gold

That's for a Wickham trolley. The rails for turning it are fitted onto a portable pivot that fits into the piece shown in the centre of the running rails to allow the trolley o b turned 90 degrees then it can run or pushed into the shelter

Edited by roundhouse

Excellent set of evocative photographs - thanks for posting them. The WHS bookstall looks to have plenty of stock for a branch terminus in its dying days with dwindling customers - would this be normal?

'Bood', a nice location to model if your into things SR, including the short branch to the 'wharf', a nice tight curve behind the engine shed where stock had to be shunted into the station area before proceeding down to the wharf.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

As others have said, a very fine collection, showing how recently the "old railway" still existed, before Corporate Design and rationalisation, let alone closures like this branch, changed the face of the industry.

May I suggest you place copies in a Gallery on RMweb? That way this lovely resource may find more readers and inspire them, too.

Thanks for posting this fantastic study of Bude station in what was its last year of operation.  The signal box was manned to the very last day of operation, the servicing facilities having closed in 1965.  Through services operated during the summer seasons, there being a Paddington - Bude working which would have had a very short life.  I think the line was served by about eight trains per day at the end, run as a branch from Halwill Junction, with some trains working through to Okehampton.  I would imagine the bookstall probably sold more newspapers to local residents than it did to passengers by 1966.  I suppose Bullied Way is a better name than Beeching Close which stands on the site of Halwill Junction. 

There's a couple more views here you might be interested in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12549538@N08/6735472423/in/set-72157628649864207

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12549538@N08/6735480259/in/set-72157628649864207

I love the red motorbike in the second view.

On the modelling side, there was an EM gauge layout of Bude featured in Railway Modeller in June 1972. My copy is now well worn with forty plus years of reading! 

Edited by D820
  • Like 9

That's for a Wickham trolley. The rails for turning it are fitted onto a portable pivot that fits into the piece shown in the centre of the running rails to allow the trolley o b turned 90 degrees then it can run or pushed into the shelter

Were these a SR thing or could they be found elsewhere... WR in particular. A nice little 'feature' that would add a bit of interest. Correct details all important, though.

• RMweb Gold

Were these a SR thing or could they be found elsewhere... WR in particular. A nice little 'feature' that would add a bit of interest. Correct details all important, though.

A few more details here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickham_trolley Similar vehicles are/were used worldwide. US railroads called their versions Speeders, and there is a healthy interest in preserved examples, with rallies etc.

One of the Bradford Barton picture books in the 'Southern Branch Lines' series ( which one I cant remember) has some good pics of the Bude branch, most of the trains being standard class 4 on passenger, and N moguls on freight.