Bude Station, Yard etc

Great pic's - thanks for posting.

The goods yard layout seems strange. We have essentially a single siding running through the goods shed and terminating in a cattle dock. I can't think what the purpose can be of the short siding between the dock road and the bay platform. It is connected to both, which presumably meant that the connection from the bay needed a FPL and both points had to be worked from the box, and signalled. Lots of complication - but for what purpose? There is a platform face but it looks like it could only hold about one van.

The goods yard layout seems strange. We have essentially a single siding running through the goods shed and terminating in a cattle dock. I can't think what the purpose can be of the short siding between the dock road and the bay platform. It is connected to both, which presumably meant that the connection from the bay needed a FPL and both points had to be worked from the box, and signalled. Lots of complication - but for what purpose? There is a platform face but it looks like it could only hold about one van.

The short middle siding is an end loading dock, apparently little used in the last years.

When we stayed in Bude last year we visited the Falcon Hotel for a coffee.

In the bar area there were lots of old pictures of the hotel and some details of its history.

In 1872 it became the headquarters for local stage coaches, the last two (?) were stored at the hotel.

There are pictures in the bar of the two old coaches being moved by road over the canal to the station 

where they were loaded from the dock onto wagons for transit away, I can not remember the date but 1950s I think.

cheers

You're right about the points being worked from the box, the levers were Nos:14/15 according to the signalling diagram.  The point on the approach to the bay platform was fitted with a F.P.L. plunger & bar, while the point in the Dock Siding only had a bar.  There was also a treadle on the bay point, simply labelled 'A'.  From 1939 the dock siding was provided with a ground signal (dwarf arm yellow - if you want to be technical) operated by lever No:12.  From this time the goods shed road was also fitted with a catch point (No:22) and a ground signal (No:19), and wait for it, track circuiting to point No:22 proper.  It certainly must have kept the signalman busy during shunting operations.

Hi Alan, thanks for posting the pics of Bude, I am just about to embark on a new finescale  OO  project based on a SR Station in North Cornwall, and was about to order the Kernow Signal Box but I think I will go for the Wadebridge one as that is Stone and I prefer that a bit.

I will keep an eye on here as I am looking for information and inspiration to do a1948 ish  layout so that I can run my new M7 and T9 in Maunsell liveries, I tried to order the Southern Beattie today but alas they are all sold out so I will have to use GWR Pannier and Prairie's for the China Clay traffic.

Please keep the pics and info coming.

Andy, (also known as Bodgit)

Hi Andy

I'm afraid there are no more old pix, from me anyway. I actually 'found' these while helping an 'O Gauge Guilder' collect some ancient Basset-Lowke engines and stuff from the house of a 'former modeller' who died at the end of last year, aged 91, I think. His name was Rob Woodman, and it was probably he that took the excellent photos. His widow was delighted that I could 'make use' of them by displaying them on RMweb. I said I was sure there'd be lots of interest... and I wasn't far wrong!

• 1 month later...

A late comer to this topic I want to also express my thanks to the OP for posting the great photos.

I have always thought that Bude would make an excellent model and has just about everything a modeller could desire.

Edited by Kenton

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"The point on the approach to the bay platform was fitted with a F.P.L. plunger & bar, while the point in the Dock Siding only had a bar."

Not sure what is meant by the latter part, unless the reference is in fact to 14M, the mechanical fouling bar located on the bay road to ensure that 14 points were not reversed if there was anything at the dead-end of the Bay which would foul the shunt. This can be seen quite clearly in one of the pix.

"There was also a treadle on the bay point, simply labelled 'A'."

The treadle was unrelated to the point other than by the fact of where it happened to be, its function being to release the Sykes backlock on the Down Home signal  once an incoming train had arrived. Saldy it seems to have escaped the photographer as far as I can tell :-(

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.00 - Bude - Signalbox Diagram (1920).jpg

The original LSWR signalling  -  Authors Collection

attachicon.gifBR(S) 228.00 - Bude - Signalbox Diagram (1939).jpg

The revised SR signalling applicable from 21 May 1939  -  Authors Collection.

Nigel, these diagrams look as though they were originally drawn by the late George Pryer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Hi Alan, thanks for posting the pics of Bude, I am just about to embark on a new finescale  OO  project based on a SR Station in North Cornwall, and was about to order the Kernow Signal Box but I think I will go for the Wadebridge one as that is Stone and I prefer that a bit.

I will keep an eye on here as I am looking for information and inspiration to do a1948 ish  layout so that I can run my new M7 and T9 in Maunsell liveries, I tried to order the Southern Beattie today but alas they are all sold out so I will have to use GWR Pannier and Prairie's for the China Clay traffic.

Please keep the pics and info coming.

Andy, (also known as Bodgit)[/quote,

Andy we meet again! Bude or Ilfracome are two stations that I would love to build. I have layed out both in templot (with compression) and a combination of the Bude layout in the ilfracombe setting. My problem at the moment is my wife would shoot me if I mentioned building another layout. I am though slowly builging up stock as luckily we are building a new club layout which uses mostly the same!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Smashing photos all.

I've always wondered why the buildings at Bude and Swanage etc are so very much longer than those at Padstow. Does anyone know of an internal layout of the Bude type building? 

• 1 month later...

Just to say, the 15 photos I posted at the start of this thread are now safely deposited at The Castle Heritage Centre in Bude. I did a round trip about a fortnight ago, and the idea is to do some 'proper' scans and display the resulting prints on the wall above the little 2mm scale model. Proper job!

• Like 5