Southern Electric Layout - newbie modeller!

NXEA!

Hello all, as a long-time lurker on this forum I decided to pluck up the courage and join! So hello to you all. I'm a Southern Region fan, specifically third rail EMU's, and have fond memories of spotting at Clapham and London Bridge witnessing the demise of the last CEP's, CIG's and VEP's. As many have been in the past, it was one particular model that inspired me to take up modelling, the Bachmann EPB... I've done a lot of digging information wise and have come up with a setting for my layout... It's going to be loosely set in the period 1967-71, with pre-tops diesels and electro diesels on the South Western. I'm thinking I'm going to set it somewhere in the area between Clapham and Wimbledon, as a branch terminus in an urban setting as a branch off the Wimbledon-Croydon line (so as to justify my beloved EPB models!). As an 18 year old I haven't much of a budget (holidays with the girlfriend and my upcoming tattoo first!), so unfortunately progress is going to be slower compared to some of the fine modellers of this parish, so don't expect a herculean effort like on Darren's Torrington layout!  

Some details about the layout... It's going to be a small layout, only 7'x4'. Like I mentioned previously, I want it to be urban, so I will be embarking on modelling retaining walls and terraces above, having been inspired by South Pimlico, a fine layout in a similar setting. There will be a small terminus station, the platform to be constructed out of Peco's Southern Concrete platform kit. I've managed to fit in a through-line which I've tentatively designated as a freight only line, the platform road, 2 sidings as well as a head-shunt, without making the layout look or feel too claustrophobic I think. I've managed to make it a little interesting to operate as there is no run round facility for freights, so I have managed to justify a lovely little Bachmann 03 which will be used to sort wagons in the small yard and release the diesel etc etc. I've also managed to make the layout have through running, ie I can run a train in a loop if so desired.  

The state of play at the moment is that I have fixed down the track with PVA to a foam board, and I am currently waiting on some professionally constructed baseboards (I am not exactly a DIY person!). I am considering taking the plunge into DCC however I am a little nervous/apprehensive about doing this, so provisionally the layout is currently analogue. As for wiring - at the moment it is the subject of plug in and play (just for testing etc etc) and everything apart from the headshunt is able to receive power in this way, so I have not embarked on wiring until I have decided whether to go DCC, or gathered sufficient information to feel confident enough to wire it analogue myself.  

As you can tell I am very much an amateur modeller, however I have been buying magazines and lurking on this forum for around 2-3 years, so I have an idea of what I want to achieve and what modelling techniques I'd like to try out etc etc! I hope you'll all be kind enough to advise me on certain things, as I will almost certainly be seeking advice on certain things in the near future as I am hoping to start knuckling down and building it as time/funds permit by the end of July/early August.  

Kind Regards, 

NXEA

Hi, Have'nt a clue what your on about ....EPBs , CEPs , CIGs (I thought you smoked them!)  but you are in the right place to learn.  Much help and advice, as much or as little as you want! elcome to the Forum!

Pete

Hi, Have'nt a clue what your on about ....EPBs , CEPs , CIGs (I thought you smoked them!)  but you are in the right place to learn.  Much help and advice, as much or as little as you want! elcome to the Forum!

Pete

Thank you Toftwood! Thought it was about time i joined RMWeb...

Good to see another member join with 3rd rail interest's.   :imsohappy: I'm a southerner now residing in Essex, I have travelled many times on all the trains you have mentioned.

You have made a good choice by joining RM as its all about serious modeling and not about playing with train sets. Or maybe even smoking unusual cigarettes!  :)

All I have to say is keep on posting   :sungum:   :imsohappy:

Good to see another member join with 3rd rail interest's.   :imsohappy: I'm a southerner now residing in Essex, I have travelled many times on all the trains you have mentioned.

You have made a good choice by joining RM as its all about serious modeling and not about playing with train sets. Or maybe even smoking unusual cigarettes!  :)

All I have to say is keep on posting   :sungum:   :imsohappy:

Well you have a fellow Essex resident with a love of third rail too on the forum then!  :imsohappy: Don't worry I will keep posting. Currently looking at all manner of layout's on here and I must say I am feeling really inspired, chomping at the bit to get started! 

This sounds like an interesting project.

What sort of freight traffic do you have in mind?

There were a number of Coal Concentration Depots in that area receiving coal in 16t minerals or 21t hoppers. 

Trains could originate at Acton Yard on the Great Western Main Line so quite a variety of locos could possibly be used,

Good luck

cheers

• RMweb Gold

You will probably find wiring for DCC easier than conventional DC and it will give you far more flexibility.

On the Rolling stock side I am pretty sure that all the available third rail models have a DCC ready socket except for the Hornby Networker.So fitting decoders will be pretty straightforward litho ugh taking the bodies off some of the Bachmann stock might prove a little tricky at first as misplace glue during assembly does quite often stick parts of the body to the chassis but once separated it will be easier if future access is needed

Welcome and good luck with the project!

If you haven't found it already there is a Southern Electric special interest group sub-forum on here which includes a topic with links to all manner of EMU reviews, layouts and construction/conversion projects. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41640-southern-electrics-forum-and-other-useful-links/

Well you have a fellow Essex resident with a love of third rail too on the forum then!  :imsohappy:Don't worry I will keep posting. Currently looking at all manner of layout's on here and I must say I am feeling really inspired, chomping at the bit to get started! 

Make that 3 of us! Greetings to the forum from Basildon. Good luck with your intentions and ambitions.  :) 

All the best,

Sam.

Thanks all for the warm welcome! In reply to all of you...  

Rivercider: Freight traffic I had in mind was the usual general freight traffic of vans+wagons for the goods shed and sidings, however a few weeks ago after seeing photos of 33's and 73's on oil trains I decided to squeeze in the through line/loop to portray a freight only line which I plan to model small oil trains on, with the oil trains being formed of a few tanks for domestic use at a local but fictional destination... 'Foreign' traction is a good shout! Wouldn't mind a Hydraulic if I'm honest... 

Roundhouse: Thanks for the explanation regarding DCC vs DC. I've got to admit I would rather have DCC at this moment in time as i would love to be able to have sound on my layout, however the wiring is the one thing putting me off as I haven't a clue what DCC wiring entails! I have at least practiced soldering with DC wiring before so I have some experience of that, but like I said DCC would be lovely if I can pluck up the courage to take the plunge!  

10800: Yes I had seen that section of the forum! Bromley North, St Mary Hoo and Newhaven Harbour are absolutely superb layouts, really inspiring! 

Sam: Thanks for the welcome bud!

For those of you that have read this thread, you'll see I'm setting it in 1967-71. i have just fallen in love with one of Bachmann's fine Standard 3MT tanks... I know that the last ones were withdrawn in July 1967 from Nine Elms shed, so I *might* just be able to justify a very very grimy one (preferably in Green!). But can anyone advise what they were used on at the end? Was it purely just empty coaching stock movements to Clapham, or did they have any booked transfer freight trips at the end? I'm thinking I could justify one standing in for a failed diesel on a short freight... thanks in advance!

Some very very slight progress today - I've knocked up the platform using the Peco Concrete platform kit, and 1.5mm plasticard sheets. I would love to get stuck in properly on the layout, but until the baseboards arrive at the end of the month I can't, so I've decided to do small jobs such as build any kits I need for the layout, or more rolling stock acquisition. Next job will be to fit small plasticard sheets on top of the platform for the surface - I want to represent the almost wonkyness of the real thing, like on later platform extensions etc etc so I've decided to cut more sheets into same-sized squares for the surface. I will then hopefully venture to Halfords this week for spray paint so I can get a concrete finish on the platform. Photos to follow when I've painted it! 

c2c - 00 gauge, so I can make use of the Bachmann 2EPB, MLV, Thumper, Heljan 33, and the forthcoming Dapol 73, all ideal southern models for a small layout! 

pwr - Thank you for the kind words, ok I'll have a look at the SEG website then! 

Southernboy - I'll draw one up and post it later.  :imsohappy:

• 3 months later...

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while, progress has stalled the last few months as I've had a major drop in money due to the loss of my job.  :drag:

HOWEVER, good news. This week is seeing a big push on the layout. Baseboard construction has commenced and will be finished tomorrow, and I've remodelled the track layout for a bit more of operational interest. I have railmatch aerosols on order for the track to weather it, the ballast has arrived, modelling clay for the goods yard is on order, a new set of point is on order, and I should be ordering a Bachmann CEP on Thursday!  :sungum: Tomorrow after the baseboards are finished I will be marrying the polystyrene sheet and track to the frame, and after this, on Wednesday after it has settled I shall get on with ballasting. I will post an update with pictures on Friday hopefully if everything goes to plan, 'appy days!  

Must admit I am in two minds on the setting of the layout. I'm not sure if I want to continue with the urban setting, I'm currently toying with the idea of a move to a more rural leafy Kent location. After seeing photo's of Holmwood and Sandling Junction pre-HS1 I must admit I can't make up my mind now...  

EDIT: Technology problem, phone's playing up at the moment and as I don't have a camera I can't upload any photo's for the time being. Sorry for those of you who might have been interested. Soon I really hope.  :drag:

Archived