Murphy Models Grey 071

Georgeconna

Took my time with this one in order to get the little details that matter right like the black door handles and the green areas around the fuel tank, Warning labels on the footsteps and I used etched wipers from Studio Scale Models range along with their excellent decals.

The real loco visited Cork last week and is still a tad cleaner that depicted here.

354_5450_zps8ce1509c.jpg

354_5448_zps9a9e23f8.jpg

354_5444_zps27c1daf8.jpg

Just noticed I need to fix that handrail!!

Few more piccys on my facebook page so if you have time take visit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderful-weathering/111818828902939?ref=hl

• 1 month later...

V-Line (what used to be Victorian Railways) had an almost equally uninspiring livery, using a similar grey but with deep orange cabs - right up the Irish railways' alley as far as colours go! The N class diesels have a somewhat squarer design of cab but are superficially similar in outline to the 071, so picture George's model with orange cabs and you have a good idea of what it looked like. There was a rumour (unconfirmed!) that V-Line bought a heap of unused paint from the old Ansett Airlines when they changed their house colours.   :D

I wonder where IE got their paint supplies ... I wonder if V-Line had a heap of unused grey ... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed, Horsetan. The all over battleship grey was introduced by the GSWR as an economy measure about 1915, replacing their lined black livery by degrees. The GSR continued it, as did CIE, right to the end of steam. The GS painted the three 800s a unique shade of blue-tinted green, but nothing else ever bore that livery before or since. CIE painted a small number of loco's lined green, or in some cases black, after the early / mid 50s.

For modellers it is worth bearing in mind that the grey livery encompassed everything, almost like the 071s now. Even the smoke box, chimney, con-rods and wheels were all grey; just like the whole loco had been through a sheep dip. Just red buffer beams!

The grey livery alone was applied to all narrow gauge loco's without exception after 1925. One Cavan & Leitrim loco was the last narrow gauge engine to carry its pre amalgamation livery, retaining C & L lined dark green until 1932. No CIE narrow gauge locos were ever lined green or black.

Cab interiors were ALSO grey.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived