LMS D1925 Composite/D1905 Brake Third questions

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the process of detailing a couple of Dapol BR Blood and Custard coaches. Namely the D1925 Composite and the D1905 Brake Third.

All is going well having raided the Comet  parts bin but I'd like to ask a couple of questions with regards to the glazing.

On the D1925 were the toilet windows frosted or white and did they have a bar across them?

Similiar question re: the D1905. Looking at the Comet website the toilet window is frosted and has a bar across it.  What puzzles me is why the first windows in the luggage/guards compartment on both sides frosted too?  Why was this?

Thanks,

Mark

The lavatory window had a safety bar across it on the inside but light reflecting from the bar determined whether it showed or not from the outside of the vehicle. Frosting on LMS built coaches was a greenish grey colour. Colour photos are ones best source, bearing in mind over/under-exposire and all the other things that effect published colour images. Outside contractors may have used a different frosted glass source and this might account for an apparent difference in shade.

When a window in the luggage compartment was frosted over, this indicated where the guards locker and letter rack was postioned. The window would still have three verticle bars on the inside the same as the other luggage windows.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Larry for the information.

So all frosted as you say with no bar across the windows externally-only what can be seen from the inside.

Thanks as well for the clarification on the frosted windows in the guards compartment.  That explains things.

Back to the drawing board on the window bars as I soldered up '2 bar' verticle ones and '3 bar' horizontal ones.  I'll do this over the next few days and add the numbers.  Coat of varnish and reassembly, bit of weathering and they'll be finished.

Thanks,

Mark

Archived