• RMweb Premium

Thought I had more pics of the ECML cut-out signs, but here's 5 miles to Doncaster, easily seen from footpaths near Joan Croft (assuming they haven't disappeared under a sea of mud with the construction work for the flyover/bridge there):

attachicon.gifDoncaster 5 miles signs.jpg

any more?

Interesting - I don't recall seeing those and I've been travelling that bit of line for 6 1/2 years now. Certainly don't recall them of late although I concede they could have been there a while back.

Edited by Richard E

Interesting - I don't recall seeing those and I've been travelling that bit of line for 6 1/2 years now. Certainly don't recall them of late although I concede they could have been there a while back.

Did you mean the Doncaster ones? You have to be quick - they whizz past in a flash. But they are on both sides of the line, at least they were on 28 Aug 2012, my latest photo of them.

The Doncaster ones are here (Bing Maps - you can change to Ordnance Survey to see the footpath I used).

Here's one! Captured on camera phone as we whizzed past at @100mph this afternoon. I had to be wide awake for this one - think I did quite well in the circumstances :declare: . Hopefully therefore you can ignore the specks on the window!

post-16151-0-12104000-1374258907_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

There's a good sign very near 36E EWdivide; easy to take pics from lineside too.

P

Ta for the guided tour: here it is (or rather here they are, one each side of the line), between Retford and Ranskill:

post-6971-0-95465300-1375195891.jpgpost-6971-0-25109800-1375195730.jpg

Bit of a lenticular cloud formation over the first one?

• Like 2

Was in Donny today... Here are a few pics...

9454198022_d24b083d99_z.jpg

9454201194_89f3bd0eae_z.jpg

We got the flying scot DVT too!

I'll post a few more when (IF) flickr stops being stupid

Tom  :jester:

(edit: In the mean time I may master spell check, doubtful. Blame Ellis)

Edited by Swifty11
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

And the North Doncaster Chord is making enormous progress at Joan Croft Junction. The new road bridge replacing the crossing is in place and in use, with the crossing locked out of use, even for pedestrians. The new rail viaduct/bridge is in place, but with no track laid yet by the look of it.

View of closed level crossing, Joan Croft Junction, the new viaduct and the crossing cottage, taken from new road bridge embankment, looking approx SE:

post-6971-0-21558800-1385914261.jpg

New green rail viaduct/bridge, with new road bridge behind and crossing cottage right of centre, taken from near the open crossing on the Askern/Knottingley line, looking approx NE:

post-6971-0-34892300-1385914262.jpg

Telephoto shot of new bridges (and the crossing cottage on the right), taken from the footpath crossing just to the N of Joan Croft Jn, looking S:

post-6971-0-37883700-1385914263.jpg

Wide shot of new works from the footpath to the W of Thorpe in Balne, looking approx SW:

post-6971-0-10169500-1385914264.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide

Thanks. Any particular catalogue? I googled your answer without success.

Meanwhile, here's the reason I was getting my boots muddy yesterday (video still, so not the greatest quality):

post-6971-0-02563600-1385915839_thumb.jpg

Cambridge-York excursion running over 45 mins early! On time, and the sun would have been out. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Any particular catalogue? I googled your answer without success.

Meanwhile, here's the reason I was getting my boots muddy yesterday (video still, so not the greatest quality):

attachicon.gifStanding in a field.jpg

Cambridge-York excursion running over 45 mins early! On time, and the sun would have been out. 

It was a bit 'sharpish' out of Babworth Loop and took me by surprise at Sutton Xing but 45 early must have meant a run through Donny I suspect?

P

It was a bit 'sharpish' out of Babworth Loop and took me by surprise at Sutton Xing but 45 early must have meant a run through Donny I suspect?

P

Realtimetrains gave it as "no report" at Babworth loop (booked to stop for half an hour) - 2 late at Retford, 18 early at Loversall Carr, straight through Doncaster 51 early instead of two booked stops of 19 and 5 mins in the Doncaster area. 

• 8 months later...

The Doncaster North Chord, or Joan Croft flyover, has been open for a while now. Yesterday I got a few pics. The site's fairly well tidied up, and the vegetation hasn't taken hold yet, so get your photos while you can. 

General view from on the W side of the ECML. You can just see the electrification posts of the ECML under the left end of the flyover:

post-6971-0-80748600-1408561663.jpg

Also from the W side, the former level crossing, with the E side embankment in the distance, looking roughly towards where Thorpe Marsh power station used to be:

post-6971-0-62714700-1408561905.jpg

Two of a train using the viaduct coming from Hatfield & Stainforth direction towards Knottingley (it crept up on me). Underneath, that's the ungated level crossing on the Askern (to Knottingley) line. To the left, the give way markings are on the road to the former gated ECML crossing, now only serving the cottages just visible in the photo above:

post-6971-0-11076200-1408561665.jpg

post-6971-0-40495100-1408561666.jpg

(There's a cracking shot to be had of one coming the other way up the new embankment to the flyover).

And the sand train (to Monk Bretton?) on the old line, coming from the Doncaster direction towards Knottingley, coming into view from behind the new embankment, towards the new Haywood Junction:

post-6971-0-64360800-1408561667.jpg

[edited with extra clarifications]

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread to add another of the cutout signs, if only "for the record", here's the Mallard one in late Dec 2017.

Due to my slow reactions at 120-odd mph and using a phone camera, the sign has gone a bit shy. At least it's still there - better luck next time.

post-6971-0-47584100-1515516872.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Another thread brought back from the dead... on my last journey before the CV lockdown, I managed to video the lineside Mallard sign - here's a still from the video showing it in all its glory:

1468691387_Mallardsign.jpg.8039a74d41c7eeadecad86dc9aba7cf2.jpg

bit of window reflection on the loco I think, but not too bad for a 6-year old phone camera at 125mph.

• Like 4