The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Anyone else have the misfortune to end up owning one of these...??

attachicon.gifDSCF9808.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9807.JPG

Surprised to discover there are only 7 like it left in the Country now, according to the DVLA!

My stepfather had one in a sort of avocado green, bought new. It replaced a dark red Fiat 850.

No accounting for taste...

steve

• Like 1

My stepfather had one in a sort of avocado green, bought new. It replaced a dark red Fiat 850.

No accounting for taste...

steve

I inherited this one when my Grandfather gave up driving in 1984. It's only got about 37000 miles on the clock from new and has lived in my garage for the last 17 years after a short burst back on the road around the turn of the century. I suppose I ought to do something with it, but have been a confirmed user of Volkswagen Group products since 1988 !!

It replaced a 1962 Ford Anglia, which I wish he had hung on to..............

• Like 1

Surprised to discover there are only 7 like it left in the Country now, according to the DVLA!

Are they really that bad? In my (albeit limited) experience, even basic Italian small cars are characterful and loads of fun to thrash. Haven't driven a 127 though.

Looks like a Chrysler 180 or 2 litre, wonder if any are left now?

Just checked.

Only 2 180's and 2 litres, wow!

Doesn't surprise me. I remember them being a fairly rare sight even 30 years ago, and most of the ones I did see tended to be quite well perforated.

Fun fact. Chrysler Australia built a version of the 180, but with the large 6-pot hemi lump in it. An engine so long that it required a substantial extension to the front panels. I can only assume the handling tended towards understeer of lead-tipped arrow magnitude.

• Like 1

Looks like a Fiat 127. If so, the only car I ever made a profit on. I paid £50 as an MOT wite off. The aim was to build an off road buggy. My wife took one look and fell in love. To be fair, from the kerbside it looked immaculate, and only when the mats were removed did the true Flintstone problem appear. Having been challenged to save it £50 filled the gas bottles and paid for half a sheet of steel, paint and underseal. Four busy evenings and we were ready for the test. We ran it without issue for a year and sold it with a new MOT for £450.

It was an absolute scream to drive around town even if the children were embarrassed. Happy days.

• Like 4

Looks like a Fiat 127. If so, the only car I ever made a profit on. I paid £50 as an MOT wite off. The aim was to build an off road buggy. My wife took one look and fell in love. To be fair, from the kerbside it looked immaculate, and only when the mats were removed did the true Flintstone problem appear. Having been challenged to save it £50 filled the gas bottles and paid for half a sheet of steel, paint and underseal. Four busy evenings and we were ready for the test. We ran it without issue for a year and sold it with a new MOT for £450.

It was an absolute scream to drive around town even if the children were embarrassed. Happy days.

Yes, it's a 127.

As far as I can work out, they must have started undersealing the things shortly before this car was built (was first taxed Dec 1976), so it has never suffered from rust in the way that earlier ones did - particularly given their reputation for that. Biggest problem was that the paintwork on the bonnet was obviously not applied properly, so that deteriorated considerably over time with the same sort of effect you get with aluminium surfaces exposed to the weather! (even though it is steel...)

Underneath is still solid, with the only (small) rust areas, last time I looked, being on the bottom of one of the doors and around the lock area on the boot.

I think the body style changed the following year, which could explain the limited number of survivors like it, as the earlier ones have all rusted away....

Last one that I saw (other than mine) was one in Tychy, Poland, back in 2006.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72399068@N08/6935827841/in/album-72157629504265685/

The badge on the radiator grille looks different, so it may be a Polish built one.

• Like 2

Well knock me down with a feather - another of my old jalopies has popped up for sale, my last P6...

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1061834

I sold it to a very nice lady in Coleshill in late 2013 but it's found its way down to Oxfordshire and had the original all black interior replaced with a beige one, the Mountney steering wheel is till on it as are the number plates I fitted not long after I bought it.

• Like 4

Found this beauty in a Wisbech retail park recently (30/11). Strange thing is the number plate, in US style. But the registration appears to be a local Cambridgeshire number?

Stewart

attachicon.gif916XVA Wisbech.jpg

I've seen a few cars with plates like that, with UK reg and country-of-origin style plates - VWs with German-style UK plates, for example. I'm pretty sure they're illegal, but the police probably have bigger concerns. They don't seem too concerned about the current spate of illegally-spaced plates (I see dozens every day - if nothing else, they allow you to give the driver a wide berth, on the basis that they're almost certainly a selfish, egotistical prat) on cars up and down the country.

On a related subject (though little to do with old cars - sorry), I've also started to notice a spate of cars in the UK with no front number plate, though if you look closely, the plate is usually on the top of the dashboard. I presume that the drivers, if caught, will say "honestly officer, it just fell off and I was on my way to Halfords", but in reality, these are simply arrogant lawbreakers who think that their car looks "cooler" with no front plates.

I've seen a few cars with plates like that, with UK reg and country-of-origin style plates - VWs with German-style UK plates, for example. I'm pretty sure they're illegal, but the police probably have bigger concerns. They don't seem too concerned about the current spate of illegally-spaced plates (I see dozens every day - if nothing else, they allow you to give the driver a wide berth, on the basis that they're almost certainly a selfish, egotistical prat) on cars up and down the country.

On a related subject (though little to do with old cars - sorry), I've also started to notice a spate of cars in the UK with no front number plate, though if you look closely, the plate is usually on the top of the dashboard. I presume that the drivers, if caught, will say "honestly officer, it just fell off and I was on my way to Halfords", but in reality, these are simply arrogant lawbreakers who think that their car looks "cooler" with no front plates.

And probably can't be picked up by speed cameras, seems to be mostly 'performance' type cars? Maybe they're so fast the plates blow off?

• Like 2

And probably can't be picked up by speed cameras, seems to be mostly 'performance' type cars? Maybe they're so fast the plates blow off?

Illegal, yes, but not a new phenomenon. It's just an update on all those 60s/70s sports cars (Lotii and E-Types being major offenders but others were common enough) with a self-adhesive front plate almost horizontal on the front of the bonnet. Equally illegal, but time, lack of enforcement and changing owner demographics has rendered it "respectable".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They sure didn't get good press.

Designed by Simca and only rebadged at the last knockings as a Chrysler apparently.

I understood that it was intended to be the new Humber Hawk until Chrysler got their hands on the company.

• Like 1

Very nice Steve, lovely!

The S2 in this ad was a test mule for the Lotus V8...

post-7638-0-67814200-1545214291_thumb.jpg

Nice Thames TV clip of Tony Bastable interviewing director Lewis Gilbert in 1977 with the (utterly fabulous) S1 from 'The Spy Who Loved Me'...

The shape looks just as good now is it did back in 1976... apparently six full sized Esprits were used in the film plus several models in different scales...

post-7638-0-30173400-1545214628_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-43684800-1545214717.jpg

post-7638-0-63486700-1545214761_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-29928900-1545214905.jpg

post-7638-0-94532500-1545215126_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-92068500-1545215143_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-79077300-1545215158.jpg

post-7638-0-91086100-1545215199_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-79505400-1545215232.jpg

Chicago Auto Show 1977...

post-7638-0-45776800-1545214828.jpg

post-7638-0-80146400-1545215045_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

A very smart Lous Espirit 2 in today.

attachicon.gifIMGP1305.JPG

iirc didnt they get a facelift in the mid 80s can remember two of them being on display on Piccadilly station for a week as part of a promotion complete with some rather pretty models handing out leaflets .best part was being on nights when they would be started up and run for 30 mins glorious hearing that v8  echoing down the station   

• Like 2