Statham Lane - WCML

robgregson1

Having dabbled in OO for many years as a child with trainset layouts, i decided to change to n Gauge. Not having much room available, it was an ideal way to be able to run full length trains. I have taken my idea from Ring Road WCML. It is an excellent layout. Big respect David. my layout is eight foot by two foot six with a scenic area of five foot nine by one foot ten. four main lines are elevated passing through what will be an industrial area. the rear will eventually have at least eight run through sidings. for the time being, they will be just four loops.

post-6482-12628892294988_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12628892568022_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12628892868087_thumb.jpg

has anyone got any suggestions about how to fasten down the concrete sleeper track. the sleepers are too thin to nail through.

Assuming you aren't wanting to relay the track, how about spreading a thin layer of PVA glue down, then using drawing pins across the rails (between sleepers) to hold the track down (still allowing a little movement for positioning) then allowing it to dry - then removing the drawing pins with a pair of pliers and ballasting over the pin holes?

Hope that makes sense, and suggest trying it on a scrap piece of track first on a separate piece of wood :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I know several layouts where double sided tape (eg carpet underlay tape) has been used to secure the track, prior to ballasting.

However, since you don't want to have to relay the track I would be tempted to drop diluted PVA into the gaps between the sleepers (capillary action should take it "under" the sleepers) then add ballast to the centre and reapply PVA. If you're steady you should be able to avoid too much ballast going over the sleeper tops or sticking to the inside faces of the rail. Once this is dry, you can ballast the outside shoulders of the ballast.

I would be tempted to remove the pins as you get to them, because the ballast in the middle of the track should be enough to hold it in position while the outer ballast dries.

You may wish to paint the rail sides before doing any ballasting; and/or airbrush the whole lot to "tone down" the track once ballasting is in place. Also, you might want to add cable trunking details, drains and relay cabinets before ballasting.

But as others have said, why not practice on a short length of track on a spare piece of board first?

cheers

Ben A.

i have been thinking about the painting of the rail sides. i was considering using a fine tipped red/brown overhead projector pen to colour the rail sides and this would then be toned down by the weathering. i have tried with a broad tipped pen on a practice piece and it looked really good.

tested my class 66 round the inner loop last night to check that it was not too tight and that clearances with the other tracks was ok. everything went really well. gutted that the preston exhibition is off. looks like a trip to transport models in preston today to get some ballast.

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a bit of work on the embankment. major work to start on friday (payday). constructed the two bridges and supports and used some grass mat to form the embankment. the left bridge is for a road to come through and the right bridge is for one or two lines to come into a station. the trains will go under the curves of the main lines to a dead end. ideal for a Dapol unit.

post-6482-12643510954822_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12643511198228_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12643511434351_thumb.jpg

going to start the ballasting this weekend so i need to sort out some overhead wires. i am going to have a mast on either side of the four tracks and then have a couple of wires connecting them together which will then carry the power wires. it is all going to be scratch built and totally notworking. i just can't decide how far a[art i should position the masts. any help cheers.

Done some more work on the layout. the embankment is finished now apart from fine detail and weathering. the bridges are lined with brick paper now. i have put the backing pieces in now to hide the backscene. platform sections from Hornby lyddle end. going to decide on ballast next.

post-6482-12649571811507_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12649572444019_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12649572941996_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12649573190735_thumb.jpg

You have two choices for catenary in N.

Sommerfeldt - very good, German but passable for UK, rather expensive (http://www.sommerfeldt.de/index2.html). Various UK suppliers

Dapol - coming soon (http://www.Dapol.co....d=250&Itemid=65)

I have used some of the Sommerfeldt catenary on an N gauge modern urban tram layout and it's fiddly but effective. This was just a single track though, not four track main line :)

spent tonight building bridges. got some plasticard and some brick paper and made two lots of arches. the one on the right was my first attempt and it is ok. i might put a tram on the top as a static model. the one on the left is a lot better because the arches are taller. this is going to have a canal on top of it.

post-6482-12651477610448_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12651477895077_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12651478276052_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12651478533476_thumb.jpg

i have removed some of the embankment and replaced it with a brick wall. this will give me more room for buildings. i have also erected the posts for the overhead wires. just used some plastic 'H' section and going to take some strands out of some wire to simulate the wires.

post-6482-12655600383812_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12655600666229_thumb.jpg

post-6482-12655600946725_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob, looking good, though I would seriously think about replacing those posts as they look far too thick. You can get very good ones from N Brass, simple to construct, and finish well - I used them on my own layout.

Also, just to clarify, if you're modelling WCML, then you need full on gantries, if its the ECML, they have the 'slung wires' between the two upright columns.

I do like the viaducts at either end - makes a good frame for the layout.

David

I stand corrected. Interesting though, the suspended wire approach really screams ECML when you look at it, wouldn't have associated it with west coast at all.

It's not uncommon on the 'second phase' (north of Weaver Junction), which was electrified much later than the London to Liverpool & Manchester section.

Archived