Bachmann 20t Grain hoppers

Michael Delamar

Some others have lengthened the Hornby Dublo model

Having lengthened a Wrenn grain hopper to the correct length I'm now very pleased that I'll never have to do it again. Longcarse West really needed a lot of 1/271 hoppers and so will it's replacement. I'll look forward to only having to change buffers and axleboxes around on the Bachmann ones for a bit of variety and start preparing for some scary looking weathering.

Cheers

David

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

38-600                   21 Ton Grain Hopper BR Grey                                                                                     

38-601                   21 Ton Grain Hopper BR Bauxite                (Early)                                                                  

38-602                   21 Ton Grain Hopper BR Bauxite (Late) 

38-601 seems to have changed from early bauxite to BR Grey (TOPS)

• 2 months later...

Mornin' all,

The Acorn etched brass version has been the most dimensionally accurate 4mm offering produced so far.

post-7795-0-55281600-1410453887_thumb.jpg

post-7795-0-25913600-1410453918_thumb.jpg

post-7795-0-51944200-1410453954_thumb.jpg

post-7795-0-37199200-1410454005_thumb.jpg

Let us hope that the forthcoming RTR model at least matches the dimensional accuracy of this much older one.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

....if moulded plastic is used throughout then yes it can. There are many fine sections on this particular prototype...moulded plastic (with its limitations) would be a cheap but inaccurate medium in which to replicate them.

As for "can't be a lot worse"....don't you think that we deserve a little more ambition, some 10yrs or so beyond the last attempt? If we keep excusing mediocrity from manufacturers capable of so much more, then we're hardly likely to see improvements in the standard of future releases.  

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

It's a model calm down ! , crikey, all I did was to flag up the EP samples appearance...........   :no:

If it's the right shape, size, affordable and to be honest, practical (I haven't got time to build X number of expensive brass kits - £35+ on eBay for a kit that is no longer produced anyway !!), then why would I care that the uprights, etc. are a fraction of a mm too chunky - I will get at least 2 of the "cr*p" Bachmann ones for that....... :scratchhead:

My track is a scale 7" too narrow anyway................. :jester:

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

These grain hoppers are due in April/May according to Bachmann's website. Has anyone seen decorated samples yet?

(Rescued from page 6 of the Bachmann site here on RMweb! - they are one of Bachmann's 2015 items I'm looking forward to most.)

John

These grain hoppers are due in April/May according to Bachmann's website. Has anyone seen decorated samples yet?

(Rescued from page 6 of the Bachmann site here on RMweb! - they are one of Bachmann's 2015 items I'm looking forward to most.)

John

Yes, but at what price.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but at what price.

On recent form, I'd not expect to see any change from £25 each.

Hatton's pre-order price of £16.96 looks like a bargain now and may turn out to be an absolute steal in hindsight.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling