North American S scale 1:64

trisonic

Looking at some ads in RMC and S scale seems to be booming over here (specially when compared to 1:48 O Scale - 2 rail).

Plenty of kits, some RTR Locos (more than O) even RTR trackwork (www.custmtrax.com). Vehicles actually available in 1:64 (as opposed to 1:48).

Could this really be the Goldilocks scale for North American railroads?

Anyone on here actually built a US layout in S?

Best, Pete.

A friend and fellow Seaboard Southern member Don MacDougall models US ouline S Scale - the Southern and shortline Norton & Northern. Lovely sound fitted Geeps and F7's which AFAIK were S Helper Service. Will try to locate some pics when I back home.

Would be tempted to try 'proper' S myself if someone did a RTR GP38/-2

Dan

A friend and fellow Seaboard Southern member Don MacDougall models US ouline S Scale - the Southern and shortline Norton & Northern. Lovely sound fitted Geeps and F7's which AFAIK were S Helper Service. Will try to locate some pics when I back home.

Would be tempted to try 'proper' S myself if someone did a RTR GP38/-2

Dan

I was into US N gauge a few years ago but if I was to model American outline again it would probably be in in S. I currently have a small Sn3.5 layout based on New Zealand practice but from time to time I have thought of the possibility of modelling North American 3' 6" gauge (Railmaster do kits for Newfoundland locos).

Last time I was down in Cornwall I popped into Teamtrack Trading and nearly purchased an S Scale BN Switcher and cars he was selling. Mrs Parthia was looking over my shoulder at the time and forestalled my launch into another scale. Was very nice.......

Cheers

Dear Pete,

S-Helper SW9s are just kitbash fodder/mech-sources for decent-sized On30 diesel locos ;-)
(OK, maybe that's a little harsh... :-) ).

FWIW http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/products.htm

Seriously, O 2R is very do-able in as-little as a 8x1 space, don't give up hope...
I still have the equipment from the original "Chicago Fork" which now has nowhere to live,
Brass CLW CB&Q GP35 + 2x Atlas boxcars + 1x RC Tank + 1x RC flatcar of any interest?

http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page97a/#chicago

Alternatively, I know/knew of a few RC GP9 kits which were looking for a good home recently,

I can confirm if they are still available and the contact details if required...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Trying to find "O2R" in the North East of the USA is nigh on impossible due to the overwhelming popularity of Lionel........

Frankly, i'm not going to waste my time.

Thanks for your offer - some guys may read this thread who will be interested.

Best, Pete.

I have a friend who built an LBSC layout in S.

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery4.htm

You got me on that one.  I read that and thought "wow, some dude in England built an S-scale layout based on the Lasalle & Bureau County?"  I don't even know of anyone in America modeling that road in any scale.  Then I clicked the link and realized it looks NOTHING like north central Illinois.  A lot of impressive layouts at that link though.  I don't hear much about S scale here.  I see the adds in RMC and I have picked up an occasion issue of The S Gaugian or whatever the mag is called.  Haven't seen it in a long time though.  Only know one guy that is interested in S-scale but so far, I don't believe he has any track down yet although I haven't spoken with him in a few months.

Here is what I thought you meant by LBSC.  I think my dyslexia kicked in as the the reporting marks are LSBC.

http://www.trainweb.org/lsbc/

If you like funky power, check out the purple Baldwin switcher.  

Jason Cook

Trying to find "O2R" in the North East of the USA is nigh on impossible due to the overwhelming popularity of Lionel........

Frankly, i'm not going to waste my time.

Thanks for your offer - some guys may read this thread who will be interested.

Best, Pete.

Don't know where in New York you are, but if you're close to "the city":  http://modelengineers.org/  I'm sure those guys could help you find 2 rail O.

Looking at some ads in RMC and S scale seems to be booming over here (specially when compared to 1:48 O Scale - 2 rail).

Plenty of kits, some RTR Locos (more than O) even RTR trackwork (www.custmtrax.com). Vehicles actually available in 1:64 (as opposed to 1:48).

Could this really be the Goldilocks scale for North American railroads?

Anyone on here actually built a US layout in S?

Best, Pete.

Pete. you're right that 1:48 vehicles are hard to find, but 1:50 is a very popular die cast scale, and most O scale modelers don't worry about the difference. http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/products.asp?scale=1/50

There are two "schools" of O scale, one made up of total diehards at this point probably influenced by their dads or granddads, who feel O scale is the only choice. The second school is more recent modelers who either do O scale narrow gauge or other specialty, or who appreciate Atlas etc as "big HO". The first school tends to build layouts the way they were built in the 1930s and 40s, no scenery, roundy-roundy, etc. The others are more like contemporary HO.

I know a few in the UK have done some US S scale. I've seen one exhibition layout in S, but it was a while ago.

Team Track Trading do list some S Scale stuff; here in the UK though, prices are what I consider quite high, even compare to O 2Rail - high enough to be able to resist without much effort, in my case. :( 

Finding any S Scale on eBay.co.uk is also very difficult as it's not listed as a seperate scale, and putting "S" and "Scale" into the search box is just too general a term to turn up anything, even if there is a remote chance of any US S turning up anyway!!!

• RMweb Premium

That's American Flyer coarse stuff. As crappy as Lionel and also 3 rail..

Best, Pete.

American Flyer has not been 3-rail since WW2 -- and the pre-war stuff was O, anyways.

2 rails, T track, real smoke and choo

-chho. 

One gent in California has a very nice S scale standard gauge layout that appeared in Great Model Railroads. There's another fellow here in Pugetopolis with a standard gauge S scale layout, and there is a fair amount of Sn3 modelers in these parts.

If anyone is seriously looking for S Scale. my mate Colin Stewart in Inverness has some for sale - see http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=10528&sid=0bba9e52c52a9e16548920e1d1872e3c#10528 - currently the last post

Thanks for that, S is a really nice size not too big and not too small, The S helper range is very high quality, this has recently been purchased by MTH. In S there is the scale and high rail American flyer which is coarse scale and the more popular side of the scale.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

That's American Flyer coarse stuff. As crappy as Lionel and also 3 rail..

One of the best places to find ads for decent S Scale is the mag RMC or try www.nasg.org

Best, Pete.

its 14 years since I was there so stocks must have changed!

• RMweb Gold

I see ads for decent looking S scale stuff in Classic Trains - not even a "model" magazine as such - but very rarely any kind of S advertised in Model Railroader.

From a British standpoint, American HO already feels nice and chunky compared with British 4mm, so I'd need a lot of incentive not to go all the way to O scale if I was going bigger than HO. I was wowed by the Louisville & Nashville O layout at Ally Pally a couple of years ago.

Not only that Tim, but US "O" is as compromized as "OO" on Scale vs Gauge. At 1:48 the gauge works out to 5'. Wider looks better than Narrow Gauge but it messes up with all the undercarriage. Then you get someone like Atlas passing off 1:43 vehicles as "O". Worst of all is trying to find any "O" 2R in any store (or online) over here.

As I've said before many times it is absurd that US "O" gauge 2-Rail is easier to find in the UK than the USA.

Best, Pete.

Archived