Meat Van Variations

I have an number of Airfix/Dapol Meat Vans to build.  These were relatively rare, and after reading of the production of a dia 1/250 van using Airfix ends and Parkside sides, I wondered how many different variations could be produced from this van, to give as much variety as possible.  Any Ideas out there?

I believe some of these had the lower vents removed in later years.

IIRC there is a picture in "British Railways Wagons, the first half million"  by D Rowlands

Andy

I believe some of these had the lower vents removed in later years.

IIRC there is a picture in "British Railways Wagons, the first half million"  by D Rowlands

Andy

The one in the book, on P70 (B870077), has had the lower side louvres removed, but still has the full complement of end vents. It's branded  'ALE' 'Empty to Park Royal', but has the remains of what looks like a 'Blue Circle' poster. I've seen others where all but the top end -vent have been removed. Most were still marked 10T, rather than 12t, until their demise.

I've got one of these already built which I picked up on Ebay, I fancy building one or two more so I may look into these variations you mention to add variety.

Simon

Sorry guys I didn't IIRC (I was on nights, That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

I've double checked my ref above and I was mistaken.. I've certainly seen a picture somewhere but blowed if I can find it now.

At least one had the lower end vents removed (mentioned  D Larkin's  Working Wagons Vol 1.) There is also the with / without side vents variations

Phoots in the Davids Larkin series of books show

Split axleboxes on B870006 with side vents

Plain BR style axleboxes on B870032 with side vents

and finally

B870077 without side vents, BR axleboxes and no side vents as referenced by Fat Controller above

Andy

sorry to jump in here with a few questions.

is there any colour shots of these carrying maroon?

and did they carry the white livery and if so what shade of white is that? I plan to model some Parkside 1/251's soon but do have a Airfix 1/250

Mike

sorry to jump in here with a few questions.

is there any colour shots of these carrying maroon?

and did they carry the white livery and if so what shade of white is that? I plan to model some Parkside 1/251's soon but do have a Airfix 1/250

Mike

I've not seen any shots of them carrying the crimson livery they were built with, though doubtless some exist somewhere. I doubt that many, if any, got the later maroon livery; rather, I suspect they would have gone into bauxite, and into the general pool, as non-containerised 'fresh meat' traffic went to road or containers. 

They wouldn't have received white, or ice-blue, as they weren't insulated vehicles.

The Insulated Meat vans would have run from ports where frozen meat was imported from across the Atlantic, and from the Antipodies, to the major cities. Hence the presence of that stick of them at Liverpool Docks.

Larkin's 'Working Wagons Volume 2' has a picture of B870031 modified with the side vents and three of the end vents removed. Here's how I set about a model of it.

post-9877-0-02651000-1372797688_thumb.jpg

It's mostly Parkside with just the modified ends from the Airfix kit.

post-9877-0-61369800-1372797916_thumb.jpg

Larkin's 'Working Wagons Volume 2' has a picture of B870031 modified with the side vents and three of the end vents removed. Here's how I set about a model of it.

attachicon.gifB870031a.jpg

It's mostly Parkside with just the modified ends from the Airfix kit.

attachicon.gifB870031b.jpg

Excellent-just what I am looking for-any more out there?

Sorry guys I didn't IIRC (I was on nights, That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

I've double checked my ref above and I was mistaken.. I've certainly seen a picture somewhere but blowed if I can find it now.

At least one had the lower end vents removed (mentioned  D Larkin's  Working Wagons Vol 1.) There is also the with / without side vents variations

Phoots in the Davids Larkin series of books show

Split axleboxes on B870006 with side vents

Plain BR style axleboxes on B870032 with side vents

and finally

B870077 without side vents, BR axleboxes and no side vents as referenced by Fat Controller above

Andy

Many thanks for the information

Just slightly off topic, here’s a link to a photo of a Diagram 251 insul meat van after relegation to an Ale van.

Still in white livery but probably being used to return empty Guinness kegs to Park Royal Brewery, via Tyne Yard. Newcastle breweries, like others had bottling agreements with Guinness.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p463656785/h3f7c9a59#h24565680

Porcy

Just slightly off topic, here’s a link to a photo of a Diagram 251 insul meat van after relegation to an Ale van.

Still in white livery but probably being used to return empty Guinness kegs to Park Royal Brewery, via Tyne Yard. Newcastle breweries, like others had bottling agreements with Guinness.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p463656785/h3f7c9a59#h24565680

Porcy

A unique train-never seen anything like this, and a modified white meat van as well!  Thank You.

Thanks Mike,

Painting starts with an undercoat of Halfords acrylic primer (red in this case), then I'll mask the body and give the chassis a waft of Halfords matt black. After a couple of days to harden the body has a brush coat of Precision P127 pre'65 Bauxite, no need to do the ends too thoroughly, the weathering will cover anyway. While that's drying the roof gets a coat of dirty grey, no two rooves are the same colour, sometimes I'll even mix it on the roof! 

Transfers in this case came from Modelmasters, probably from two or three different sheets, depending on where I can find suitable 'groups' of numbers. Once they have set, I'll give them a protective coat of Johnson's Klear.

On to the weathering, I'm still a fan of Enamels.....

The chassis gets a fairly thin mix of Humbrol 62 Leather and 53 Gunmetal, not the Metalcote type. Axleboxes, buffer heads  and other 'oily' parts have a touch of Metalcote though. Just noticed I didn't put any rust on the brake shoes and springs......

Next comes the rust on the ends and strapping. I don't have a set mix for rust and don't always rely on what it says on the tin, you're looking for a varigated finish anyway. Various 'rusty' shades are used, the key is to add Humbrol 53 to the mix and apply quite thickly, stippling where possible and varying the shades as you go.

Once the rust is done, the remaining bodywork gets a wash of 'traffic grime', allowing it to settle in the planking and around the details, the excess is wiped off the centre of any larger plain surfaces after a few minutes. I'll usually leave well alone for a few days and see if I'm still happy with the result. In this case I wanted to distress the planking a little more, this was done with a glassfibre pencil, go gently here though... you can rub down to the undercoat if you are careful to give the impression of previous coats of paint showing through. Undercoat in grey and you can give the impression of bare wood showing by this method.

I wouldn't go quite as far as this example though 

post-9877-0-94033300-1372975471.jpg

Clive.

Thanks Mike,

Painting starts with an undercoat of Halfords acrylic primer (red in this case), then I'll mask the body and give the chassis a waft of Halfords matt black. After a couple of days to harden the body has a brush coat of Precision P127 pre'65 Bauxite, no need to do the ends too thoroughly, the weathering will cover anyway. While that's drying the roof gets a coat of dirty grey, no two rooves are the same colour, sometimes I'll even mix it on the roof! 

Transfers in this case came from Modelmasters, probably from two or three different sheets, depending on where I can find suitable 'groups' of numbers. Once they have set, I'll give them a protective coat of Johnson's Klear.

On to the weathering, I'm still a fan of Enamels.....

The chassis gets a fairly thin mix of Humbrol 62 Leather and 53 Gunmetal, not the Metalcote type. Axleboxes, buffer heads  and other 'oily' parts have a touch of Metalcote though. Just noticed I didn't put any rust on the brake shoes and springs......

Next comes the rust on the ends and strapping. I don't have a set mix for rust and don't always rely on what it says on the tin, you're looking for a varigated finish anyway. Various 'rusty' shades are used, the key is to add Humbrol 53 to the mix and apply quite thickly, stippling where possible and varying the shades as you go.

Once the rust is done, the remaining bodywork gets a wash of 'traffic grime', allowing it to settle in the planking and around the details, the excess is wiped off the centre of any larger plain surfaces after a few minutes. I'll usually leave well alone for a few days and see if I'm still happy with the result. In this case I wanted to distress the planking a little more, this was done with a glassfibre pencil, go gently here though... you can rub down to the undercoat if you are careful to give the impression of previous coats of paint showing through. Undercoat in grey and you can give the impression of bare wood showing by this method.

I wouldn't go quite as far as this example though 

attachicon.gifInsulmeat Van.jpg

Clive.

Thank you for going to the trouble-a big help for me.  Have you any more examples?

The one in the book, on P70 (B870077), has had the lower side louvres removed, but still has the full complement of end vents. It's branded  'ALE' 'Empty to Park Royal', but has the remains of what looks like a 'Blue Circle' poster. I've seen others where all but the top end -vent have been removed. Most were still marked 10T, rather than 12t, until their demise.

that photo is here..

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/userfiles/image/Features/freight_onlY-12_B870077.jpg

from this article

.https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Articles/227/Freight_Only_-_Freight_stock_on_British_Railways

• 6 months later...

Archived