A 2mm Micro layout

Donw

• RMweb Gold

I do tend to use long lengths where sensible however when filing and assembling crossings I find the long legths to be a nuisane. Besides you have to isolate the crossing even for DCC so I keep them short. I do not find using easitrac any hindrance to using long lengths. I will take a piece of rail and first work out the chairs needed for any turnout threading these onto the rail. Typically I will lay a crossing first then add a length of easitrac onto the ends. I will then take the piece of stock rail with all the chairs on and thread the end through the easitrac. This hold the two ends to gauge. I can then fix down the stock rail gauging from the crossing. A piece of easitrac on the stock rails at the blade ends helps align that end. I can then slide additional pieces of easitrac on the stock rail at the crossing end. I then add another piece of rail to extend the crossing rail out leaving a slight gap. I then adjust the rails and easitrac to a good line and fix down.

In the first picture two cheap brushes can be seen one is for the butanone to fix the chairs the other (marked with a bit of green tape to avoid mixing them up) is used for the special easitrac PVA.

I notice your trackwork looks a bit neater than mine. I need more practice in this scale.

Don

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Premium

The wing rail crossing assembly is the exception when it comes to using long lengths especially, as you say, they have to be isolated for DCC. I make them up using the jigs which are some of the best items that the Association has produced and I have found them pretty near fool-proof in their use and results. 

How did you get on with producing the sleeper strips, Don?  I found this to be the worst part of the process in maintaining a consistent width between lengths.  The individual sleepers were ok produced with the help of a NorthWest Shortline Chopper but getting the strips in the first instance nearly drove me to distraction. Even worse when some are 2mm wide and others are 1.7mm wide. Some laser cut strips would be nice but I suspect that, frankly, we can whistle for those.

David

I used Templot and Autocad to draw out a set of turnout timbers in a surround a while ago with the intention of getting it laser cut in 0.8mm plywood, but other things got in the way. Don's posting has given me an idea for refining the design a bit more, but it is still way down the list of priorities at the moment. One day.....

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don

Very impressed by your use of plywood sleepers; if you don't mind me asking, did you cut these yourself or buy them ready-cut from somewhere? I've looked but can't find a supplier........

Ian

Ian

I bought a largish sheet of 1/32 ply cut a piece about 50mm wide (25ft timbers?) then with a steel rule and a standly knife cut off strips using one of the plastic strips as a guide. Do the first cut lightly ensuring it runs straight and parallel to the edge then the next passes can be heavier and will follow the line of the first. The strips can be cut to legth to match your template (or guide lines if you haven't bother with a template). Something you can do on a board on your lap whilst either not really listening to the TV or sat in the motorhome. Do beware of a small dog sharing the seat with you. I might try 1/64th another time as it should cut easier and need less ballast.

Don

• Like 1

Ian

I bought a largish sheet of 1/32 ply cut a piece about 50mm wide (25ft timbers?) then with a steel rule and a standly knife cut off strips using one of the plastic strips as a guide. Do the first cut lightly ensuring it runs straight and parallel to the edge then the next passes can be heavier and will follow the line of the first. The strips can be cut to legth to match your template (or guide lines if you haven't bother with a template). Something you can do on a board on your lap whilst either not really listening to the TV or sat in the motorhome. Do beware of a small dog sharing the seat with you. I might try 1/64th another time as it should cut easier and need less ballast.

Don

Thanks Don.....I might give that a try; looks good.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Don.

Just found your thread. Although my interests are in 4mm, SHMBO won a Dapol B17 'Everton' in a crossword competition recently at the N Wales N gauge show. Watching this might give us some encouragement to build something to run it on.

Ray.

Just popped across to this from your post on GWRd.  Thoughts are of doing a micro layout of a small seaside/estuary terminus feeding a 1930s paddle steamer service using a pilot loco - if I can get/make a 2mm paddle steamer for the backscene. 

Your trackwork looks really inviting.  So, I'll be following this thread with interest before I start.

Polly

Just popped across to this from your post on GWRd.  Thoughts are of doing a micro layout of a small seaside/estuary terminus feeding a 1930s paddle steamer service using a pilot loco - if I can get/make a 2mm paddle steamer for the backscene. 

Your trackwork looks really inviting.  So, I'll be following this thread with interest before I start.

Polly

Langley do a small paddle steamer, based on the Hibernia according to their website.

• RMweb Gold

Polly

I am building it to 2mfs i.e 9.42mm (or thereabouts) gauge. You can use it for N gauge with different gauges. However seeing as Ray is happy with P4 2mfs is no harder.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Don, I've just been reading up on this thread. I'm impressed that you can work in two so different scales at the same time, with such good results. I'm also amazed that you can cut your own timbers while sharing a seat with a dog in a motorhome. I get distracted if someone even enters the room where I'm working. You must have a steady hand and a cool mind!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Don, I've just been reading up on this thread. I'm impressed that you can work in two so different scales at the same time, with such good results. I'm also amazed that you can cut your own timbers while sharing a seat with a dog in a motorhome. I get distracted if someone even enters the room where I'm working. You must have a steady hand and a cool mind!

Mikkel

I find the following helps. I use a steel rule and hold it firmly along the line to be cut. I use a stanley knife which has stronger blades than some of the cheaper lookalikes. The first cut is done lightly then repeatedly deeper trying to cut in one go will tend to go off line. If the wood has strong grain make the cut so that the grain will take it towards the rule not away from it.

Don

• Like 2

Hi Don,

Just thought I'd pop in here and see what you're up to and I'm very impressed indeed!

I thought I must have been the only one mad enough to model in a motorhome - I once took a 5' (ish) plank with 00 track on, to Morocco when travelling with my parents!

I take it you will take power from the battery? It does give you pure DC anyway!

Keep up the good work!

John E.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don,

I would certainly agree that this is a perfectly viable method of building 2mm finescale track.  I like to use the longest lengths of rail possible in order to keep the trackwork flowing rather than building it up from smaller sections so I haven't used any of the plastic base easitrac.  I have also found that using the cast brass chairs to be useful in conjunction with pcb sleepers at the crossing and also at the closure/switch joint.  This means that the crossing and wing rails are bonded and also the switch/closure rails and the stock rails.  A couple of photos show this:

attachicon.gifPICT0187 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0190 (Medium).JPG

Using long lengths of rail makes it much easier to maintain gentle curves through switch and crossing work as can be seen on this illustration:

attachicon.gifPICT0216 (Medium).JPG

The sleepers have been stained which doesn't interfere with the chair/sleeper glue joint; however I'm not sure that I would bother in future as most of the staining colour will disappear under weathering.

Good to see you continuing to make progress with the layout, Don.

David

Not wanting to hijack Don's thread, but a quick question to David, in the photos of your trackwork, where did you source the chairs? I ask as I'm thinking about going the same route as yourself - timber sleepers and code 40 rail - but I can't seem to find rail chairs by the bag full.

Back to you Don, keep posting the updates, I like others am watching avidly

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to hijack Don's thread, but a quick question to David, in the photos of your trackwork, where did you source the chairs? I ask as I'm thinking about going the same route as yourself - timber sleepers and code 40 rail - but I can't seem to find rail chairs by the bag full.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The chairs are supplied by the 2mm Scale Association. If you look here:

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=1

at item 1-181. The sprues were originally supplied for completing turnouts as the ordinary Easitrac mouldings are supplied for plain track. Some of us though have rather taken to the idea of ply sleepers and plastic chairs for building all our track as practiced in other scales. We also have an arrangement with a caster to turn the sprues into the equivalent in cast brass which can be used in conjunction with pcb sleepers at certain strategic locations in turnouts both for strength and passing current between adjacent rails. 1/32nd (0.8mm) ply is the same thickness as 2mm Association pcb sleepers so there is no problem with differences in height.

As with other societies you have to be a member to purchase items but if you are modelling 2FS or N then membership will be a great advantage in accessing a large range of products which are not available through normal trade outlets. End of advertisement! :-)

David

Don and David,

Thank you for the replies, they are very informative.

Your track work is fantastic, it flows well, looks the part and is well constructed.

I looked at those chairs but couldn't decide how many chairs were included for £2. Looking again you get 96 plain chairs for £2 plus slide chairs and check rail chairs. As I need 1100 sleepers not including points £24 should see enough for plan track.

My layout will be built in the near-ish future, I've decided on the plan, designed the baseboard and framing, I'm just working on clearing some stuff out to allow me to start building, oh, and I need to join the 2mm Association!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The visual impact of your trackwork is very impressive Don, I would be surprised if, at first (or second) view it would be possible to discern the difference betweeun this in 2mmFS and that of other scales. I take my hat off to you.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

The visual impact of your trackwork is very impressive Don, I would be surprised if, at first (or second) view it would be possible to discern the difference betweeun this in 2mmFS and that of other scales. I take my hat off to you.

Richard

Thankyou Richard. Progress has been a bit slow lately having just moved into a new home but I hope post some more soon. Trying out some chairs in a different material at the moment.

Don

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I realise I have neglected to up date this thread. Progress has been rather slow as I have been giving more attention to the 7mm layout and getting started on the garden layout for live steamers. 

However I have done a bit more trackwork and also done some testing of pinned chairs for the association

One thing I found difficult was soldering strips to the crossing in the jig as you cannot see when the solder flows so I tried printing off an extra sheet of the templot and used that to assemble the crossing on.

post-8525-0-20846500-1413476344_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-34214400-1413476318_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-20106600-1413476279_thumb.jpg

I found that it was easier for me as I could see when the solder flowed and remove the iron. Once done the etra chairs were added and with a dab of expoxy on the underside of the strips which match the sleeper spacing I could set the bit down. I will dig out some more photos.

Don

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

post-8525-0-36753600-1436825364_thumb.jpg

A bit further on with the two crossing fixed into place by expoy under the strips and a few easitrac chairs.

Incidentally I have used this to stain some 0 gauge timbers I think it should do for 2mm

post-8525-0-19749100-1435873621_thumb.jpg

Don

• Like 8

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was thinking about electromagnets for the DG couplings and remembered this by Missy. It took some finding so I have put a link in here so I can hopefully find it again.

Basically she used 0.27 wire to get 12 ohms required a 35m length wound onto a steel nail. Here is a link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-3957-im-attracted-to-you/

also for inspiration

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-3379-a-bit-more-done/

I am currently doing major diy on the new property so modelling is more planning for the future rather than actual

Don

• Like 1

• 1 year later...