Wolvercot. what's going on?

ess1uk

Memories of numerous trips south through Oxford in the early to mid 80s - ISTR there was little growth on the old good loop alignment even then. Most of what has now been removed I would imagine has mainly sprouted since privatisation (and RT/NR let things go completely to pot)

Funny thing is that I used the Aristotle lane bridge quite often to get to Port Meadow but never realised there was a foot crossing to the allotments. I'm not sure why there is given the bridge but moving footpaths is almost impossible. 

• RMweb Gold

I noticed on Saturday that formation work on the Down Loop is now quite advanced although the stream between it and the Down Main is currently flooded and a short  section of the new formation (or where it will go) is currently underwater - which is probably not helping :O 

Signal cabling and location cupboard work is clearly getting on as well so presumably Oxford panel will be getting pretty close to the end of its days - and to think that it's only 40 years ago that I was up at Oxford on my Rest Days taking pics of the soon to vanish semaphores, doesn't time fly by?

The Oxford Bicester route is supposedly being closed in Feb 2014 for a couple of years, reopening with its own route into Oxford station,

Planned to be blocked from May 14 to March 15 between Banbury Road GF & Bicester Town, permitting stone  to continue unhindered into BR, whilst the Bicester MOD traffic will be going in via the north end.

• RMweb Gold

Some pictures from last week. Poor quality as they were through the window and in the rain, but helps show the progress, and waterlogged location.

This was on return from Banbury. The outward leg was on the Chiltern line, where I grabbed some pictures of work on the new chord.

I also made a return trip to Bicester as the passenger service finishes on Feb 14th

12389487573_8dae1f03cc_b.jpg
P1000763 by unravelled, on Flickr

thanks

Dave

I noticed on Saturday that formation work on the Down Loop is now quite advanced although the stream between it and the Down Main is currently flooded and a short  section of the new formation (or where it will go) is currently underwater - which is probably not helping :O 

Signal cabling and location cupboard work is clearly getting on as well so presumably Oxford panel will be getting pretty close to the end of its days - and to think that it's only 40 years ago that I was up at Oxford on my Rest Days taking pics of the soon to vanish semaphores, doesn't time fly by?

Mike, are we ever likely to see the fruits of your labours at Oxford on here...? (Hint, hint...!)

I'll be working 6M40 from Oxford Monday and Friday next week so I'll get a nice view of the ongoing 'loop' works.... those chaps are a hard working bunch and always give a wave when I'm passing, whatever the weather or underfoot conditions.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, are we ever likely to see the fruits of your labours at Oxford on here...? (Hint, hint...!)

I'll be working 6M40 from Oxford Monday and Friday next week so I'll get a nice view of the ongoing 'loop' works.... those chaps are a hard working bunch and always give a wave when I'm passing, whatever the weather or underfoot conditions.

When I run them to earth Nidge it will be interesting t see if the Fujichrome has survived the ravages of being kept for 40 years (but in a dry and dark place).

• Like 1

From xmas eve:

post-14709-0-13229000-1391958583_thumb.jpg

That turnout was installed the other (north) side of the bridge a few days after xmas, but not a lot seems to have happened there since, not a soul around every time Ive been past during Jan.

(apologies for bad pic, it was just to prove to a friend that I had indeed forded large parts of flooded towpath, didn't want to stop for long as I hadn't been able to feel my toes for about 30mins and was a bit concerned about losing them to frostbite!)
Edited by ZiderHead
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I had a pound for every hour spent spotting in the Platform 2 bus shelters in the 1970s I would be a millionaire, so I too would love to see any photos of Oxford in that era !

Here's three:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421565725/in/set-72157636831654216

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421703253/in/set-72157636831654216

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421524094/in/set-72157636831654216

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

whilst there isn't much track laying going on , at the Aristotle Lane crossing end , they seem to be whacking in piling sheets (the corrugated ones that interlock) , presumably to make a stable surround for the trackbed and provide a degree of flooding protection.

• RMweb Gold

I made a quick visit to Aristotle Lane last weekend, and it looks as if the new track alighnment isn't going to be the same as the old. While the access roadway is on the old alignment, what appears to be the trackbed beyond seems to join the existing lines before the kink at the crossing. I guess that the ditch is being relocated, with new culverts a bit  further North of the crossing.

http://15115896835_d7c6105b26_b.jpgAristotle lane by unravelled, on Flickr

http://15092904556_7d97aa9dd4_b.jpgAristotle lane by

unravelled, on Flickr

Dave

• RMweb Gold

nice pics, must admit ive struggled to see quite how the track was going to diverge at the oxford end, the high up pics make it a bit clearer now

im wondering if the existing 15mph 'goods' from oxford north jn will be upgraded to passenger standards and have the speed increased so that trains can leave the down platform and access the new line (that i believe is the new 'down slow'') without having to cross out onto the existing through road just north of the platform then back over again at aristotle lane, similarly will the existing goods have a direct lead to it to save having to cross out onto the main and then cross straight back?

Since OX26 signal was moved from it's own post to the gantry just north of Aristotle Lane bridge, I've always been under the impression that that will be the case Jim - it was done quite a while ago now. That long slow 15mph crawl is a pain sometimes!

It's all going to look very different soon - glad I've been taking photos in recent years, the pace of progress can bite you on the 'Aris sometimes...

• RMweb Gold

on top of this work the next phase of the east west link is kicking off again next week big time, 13 weeks of trains running to water eaton park and ride (banbury rd groundframe) with ballast ready for use between there and bicester town

i did a ballast drop on the bicester branch last night from a rake of autoballasters in a newly laid siding, comes to something when you have to prepare your own track for the following weeks work!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Must try and get back down that way again and check out progress.

Looking out of the train window on my fairly recent trip to the Ricoh I formed the distinct impression that progress on this job has been far from rapid.  they could well have had flooding and drainage problems which might not have helped but unless things have galloped ahead in the past few weeks they would seem to still have a heck of a lot to do.

• RMweb Gold

there seems to have been a lot more steel shuttering appeared at the oxford end of 'the ditch', so much so that you can now make out where the line will diverge from the current formation, other than that there dowsn't appear to be much progress futher north

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was visiting the family in Oxford over Christmas, so got a chance to visit Aristotle Lane again.

Latest pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157640351020075/

As a sample, 16165722232_a6a9b7df69_b.jpgAristotle Lane by unravelled, on Flickr

This just about shows  the new bridge over the ditch, just above the green tank. The ditch now stays outside the tracks for longer, with the new bridge  some distance North of the old, to ease the curvature of the replaced down loop. The line of track looks to be where the heaps of spoil are.

Other pics show the sheet piling Jim refers to.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I took a short break from visiting my mother last week to check up on progress at Aristotle Lane. The new bridge and trackbed seem complete, and the site buildings have gone. The vehicle crossing has been replaced by a foot one, and there are notices about bridge replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if the piped culvert in this picture is temporary, and will be removed  when the bridge is replaced.

post-6902-0-40861000-1433628653_thumb.jpg

More pics at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157640351020075

Even further off topic, there has been a lot of clearance of the scrubland between the up sidings North of Oxford and the mill stream, giving a better view of the railway across the canal. All my mother has heard is that  it relates to space for  extra/relocated sidings.  A lot of room  seems to have been freed up, but I don't know how it will be used.

post-6902-0-84529300-1433629124_thumb.jpg

More pics at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157653852163366

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oxford Sidings are to be realigned / rejigged to allow for the new / relaid lines into what will be the new bay platforms for the Chiltern Oxford - Marylebone service.

Something like that anyway :D

• 1 month later...

Stopped on Wolvercot bridge this weekend but didn't bother with a photo because … it looks exactly the same as Sep 2014 …

There was a multiple unit of some kind heading off down to the Cotswold line so we gave him a wave. Its the first time Ive not got a bee-baaarp from a driver there … must have been a metal fan because instead he gave us The Sign Of The Hornspost-14709-0-58432000-1437421519.gif Cracked us up :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some photos from last week. The Down Jericho (?) has had new track panels laid through to the area of the sidings, but was still a work in progress

post-6902-0-12426400-1439044515_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-17462300-1439044595_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-77230800-1439044938_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-79517600-1439044957_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-96026500-1439044981_thumb.jpg

I presume that these are steel sleepers recovered from the relaying.

A few more of the latest pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157640351020075

And the full collection...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157640353126193

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2