Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

Hornby are pleased to formally announce the first official

Hornby Arnold N Gauge model in 1:148 scale

Hornby Arnold “Brighton Belle” 1:148 N Gauge

The “Brighton Belle” is one of the most famous, if not the most famous of the “Belle” trains to operate on British tracks. The “Belle” operated between London Victoria and Brighton and was the first all electric Pullman service in the World.  The service commenced in June 1934 and continued until April 1972 with only a period during the Second World War when the service was suspended.  There were three 5-Car units specifically built by Metropolitan Cammell for the “Brighton Belle”, a service which took just 60 minutes to travel the non-stop 51 mile distance between London and Brighton. 

In recent years under the patronage of the Transport Trust a group was formed to restore a 5-BEL unit and bring it back into service under private ownership. 

The stunningly elegant Hornby Arnold N gauge model, which will be initially produced in two distinctive periods, captures perfectly the opulence and style of the “Brighton Belle Pullman”, with each car lit with miniature table lamps as well as having carefully crafted detailed interiors. 

These truly distinctive models will only be available via www.Hornby.com and advance orders will and can be taken.

Technical features:

·         Accurate UK N scale – 1:148

·         High performance motor with flywheel

·         6 pin DCC socket

·         Detailed differences on bogies between both models

·         Illuminated table lamps

Brighton Belle.jpg

HN3000 SR 5-BEL “Brighton Belle Pullman” – 1934

HN3000 Train Pack contains:

“Brighton Belle” 2-Car set (DMBPT) in Cream & Umber – 1934

1 x DMBPT (Driver Motor Brake Parlour Third) Powered

1 x DMBPT (Driver Motor Brake Parlour Third) Unpowered

HN3500 SR 5-BEL “Brighton Belle” 3-Car pack – 1934

HN3500 3-Car Pack contains:

“Brighton Belle” 3-Car pack (2 x TPFK, TPT) in Cream & Umber – 1934

2 x TPFK (Trailer Parlour First Kitchen)

1 x TPT (Trailer Parlour Third)

All models are produced to 1:148 UK N Gauge standards.

HN3001 BR Class 403 “Brighton Belle Pullman” – 1969

HN3001 Train Pack contains:

“Brighton Belle” 2-Car set (DMBPT) in Blue & Grey – 1969

1 x DMBPT (Driver Motor Brake Parlour Third) Powered

1 x DMBPT (Driver Motor Brake Parlour Third) Unpowered

HN3501 3-Car Pack contains:

“Brighton Belle” 3-Car pack (2 x TPFK, TPT) in Blue & Grey – 1969

2 x TPFK (Trailer Parlour First Kitchen)

1 x TPT (Trailer Parlour Third)

All models are produced to 1:148 UK N Gauge standards. 

I wouldn't say that, this is a unique model for Hornby, it won't sell in huge numbers and it will test the market.

If Hornby make a success of this then I would expect that future products will enter the mainstream market and be available to retailers.

Remember the market for N won't attract traditional Hornby buyers so a lot of shops that stock Hornby wouldn't necessarily stock N gauge.

I am sure this is the future of manufacturing of quite a few "serious" models .The internet already provides the information required to buy ,reviews good and bad  give information the buyer can make his mind up whether to buy or not to buy .Big box shifters are already killing off shops that dont provide that little bit extra etc. My own huge selling operation of 21 1/43 motorsport figures  has  already stopped selling to dealers .Its just not worth giving away 50% of your items value to a dealer whan the same buyer will buy on  it ebay  at full price .The only real part dealers can play in this is to provide solid pre orders to make financing the item viable to bank manager if they still exist .For huge manyfacturers probably not so important .I can see manufacturers setting up stores like Apple stores.

It looks a great model .Wish I mardled N

So this is placed in the same price bracket as the Blue Pullman which I think is about right for a unique train like this. Interesting that its been split into the 2 car driving set and trailers available as a second pack, I wonder how many people would only purchase the drivers and if Hornby are expecting such a purchasing decision what ratio are they intending to produce on, could there be disappointment ahead if you don't order early or will production match demand?

• RMweb Gold

Hi , Registered on Hornby site so hopefully this will work - whilst an Iconic train and even the BR livery broke the mould It is is known that third rail items not the best of sellers - even 73 not a great seller with brand new locos at £50 at DEMU today. I wish  Hornby well and wishlist a VEP or 2BIL shrinking . Mind you the stock does lead toward a VOSE set using the trailer set.

As noted to Simon K manning DEMU Hornby stand price very keen and a trade off to work on paying for tooling, what market will bear and the profit margin -hope it works.

Robert   

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Interesting as this is, I think we already knew most of the info above on the Brighton Belle as it has been on the Arnold website for months.

It had been hinted that there might be "other news" from Hornby at the DEMU show.

Was that not the case?

cheers

Ben A.

Guest maxthemapman

Did Hornby keep the development teams when they bought out the Rivarossi? Who will actually be designing this item?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Did Hornby keep the development teams when they bought out the Rivarossi? Who will actually be designing this item?

Depends on what Simon Kohler meant in the Model Rail March edition quote

nothing to do with Margate

Where was this advertised?? Can you post the link please?

Discussed with link, on RMweb here  8)

Regards, Gerry

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Here's the link but it is a U25c and by Rivarrossi!

http://hornbyamerica.com/news/rivarossi-announces-ge-u25c-with-all-new-tooling-for-2014

Boy, how did I get that so wrong? Apologies....

Gerry

Because the HO version is to be marketed as Rivarossi, the N as Arnold :scratchhead:

Regards, Gerry.

Here is the Rivarossi one ''HO scale''

http://hornbyamerica.com/news/rivarossi-announces-ge-u25c-with-all-new-tooling-for-2014

Here is the Arnold one ''N scale''

http://hornbyamerica.com/news/arnold-n-scale-u25c

Looks promising..... But anyway lets move back to the Brighton Belle - are they still available to order?

These truly distinctive models will only be available via www.Hornby.com and advance orders will and can be taken.

But where can you order them on Hornby's website? It seems you can just ask for an 'in stock notification'. This won't tell Hornby definite numbers for a production run indication. I want to order one please :D

Gareth

I must say, I rather like the prices quoted on the Hattons website!

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000430/1000589/1000636/0/Arnold_N_Gauge_Coaches/prodlist.aspx

'Correct' at the time of posting...

My heart actually jumped when I saw those prices...then I thought I was dreaming...but alas I wasn't, any idea why the price is shown like that??

Jeremiah Bunyan, on 08 Jul 2013 - 10:24, said:

My heart actually jumped when I saw those prices...then I thought I was dreaming...but alas I wasn't, any idea why the price is shown like that??

At a rough guess because it's a placeholder value (0 not being accepted by the system). But given these will only be sold direct, I suspect these entries will disappear in due course.

That did seem to be the way Arnold/Hornby were talking initially when this was announced, though originally it was going to go out via the normal (Arnold) retail network which has also changed. It could be that a manufacturing slot couldn't be secured for what might have been an uncertain batch size and with direct (pre)orders Hornby will be able to match supply to demand with greater fidelity.<br /><br />I do hope this experiment works (I'll probably plump for one, two if they do a (correct) variant for the restored 5BEL).

Why do they only produce the 1930's version (livery/lettering valid until 1951/52, but number only valid for 1932-37) and the Blue/Grey (valid 1969-72)? I want a 1950's/60's version...

I've seen Hornby do the same for the 4VEPs - produce liveries that had limited lifespans (all-blue and NSE) and ignore the livery that had the longest lifespan (blue/grey), and therefore would be of interest to the majority of purchasers. Is this the reason why the sales of 3rd-rail models have been so poor?

They seem to have hit the right mark with the 2BIL - Southern and BR green versions and not the BR blue - leaving the latter off gives the 'special edition' brigade something to aim at...

Why do they only produce the 1930's version (livery/lettering valid until 1951/52, but number only valid for 1932-37) and the Blue/Grey (valid 1969-72)? I want a 1950's/60's version...

So they have variants to produce for later batches? It also mirrors what they did in 00.

Archived